How good are the Gigabyte GPU?

khazad

Last i've heard is that Gigabyte does have a bad customer support.

If i'm luckily enough to get a good GPU without any problems and i won't have to do RMA, are they good enough?

What i want is good cooling, because where i live (South America) most of the time the temps are at 30-34ºC sometimes it goes at 40º, now it's winter here so i'm not too worried about that.

And does the G1 gaming and Windforce models have RGB lightning? or they only have orange color.

Another thing, on the Gigabyte website it says that the 1080 have a 500W power requirement, i've made a list on pcpartpicker and it says that the estimated power that i'll consume is 422W, and like on the list shows, i have a 650W PSU, will that be enough?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

Yes the power supply is enough, yes the G1 cards have RGB lighting, and the temperatures are decent enough not to throttle even in that weather.

6 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Yes the power supply is enough, yes the G1 cards have RGB lighting, and the temperatures are decent enough not to throttle even in that weather.

Great, thank you :).

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

6 hours ago, khazad said:

Last i've heard is that Gigabyte does have a bad customer support.

If i'm luckily enough to get a good GPU without any problems and i won't have to do RMA, are they good enough?

What i want is good cooling, because where i live (South America) most of the time the temps are at 30-34ºC sometimes it goes at 40º, now it's winter here so i'm not too worried about that.

And does the G1 gaming and Windforce models have RGB lightning? or they only have orange color.

Another thing, on the Gigabyte website it says that the 1080 have a 500W power requirement, i've made a list on pcpartpicker and it says that the estimated power that i'll consume is 422W, and like on the list shows, i have a 650W PSU, will that be enough?

The GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 is.. meh~ Not really good, but not horribly bad either.

Not much quieter than Founder's, but cooler. there are better models. For example, MSI Gaming X, Palit Jetstream/Gamerock, Gainward Phoenix, Zotac AMP! Extreme.

But yea decent. With high Air temperatures, it might get a bit hotter, AND thus, Louder. 

A big German Magazine did a huge Roundup last year, these are teh result for the GTX 1080:

Gigabyte Gaming G1: 4.1 Sone (that is quite Loud) @ 73°C. That means, Noise is slightly less than Founder's, and temperatures are over 10°C cooler (Founder's is stuck at 83°C and Throttles down). Gigabyte Fans are spinning to like 2200 rpm~)

Asus Strix: 3.6 Sone Loudness @ 70°C (Fans at around 2000 rpm~)

MSI Gaming X: 2.3 Sone Loudness @ 74°C (Fans around 1500 rpm. I have this Card, mine don't spin above 1200-1300, because i undervolted it)

Palit Gamerock / Gainward Phoenix: 1.5 Sone Loudness @ 71-72°C. This card is a huge fat triple slot cooler, that's why it remains extremely silent and at the same time,  Cooling the card down alot. Fans spin at <1200 rpm (sometimes even at 1000~ around only).

Zotac AMP! Extreme: 1.7 sone Loudness @ 75°C

That Calculator is wrong tho. Your System with a GTX 1080 will consume around 300w, maybe 320w max.

That's what my system is consuming with my GTX 1080 MSI Gaming X, when running at Stock settings, and my i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz (in heavy load games, where cpu AND gpu are stressed, like Witcher 3).

Undervolted a bit my system draws<250 Watt out of the Wall. I have a 480w BeQuiet Straight Power 9 series ^^

Those too high estimations still do have their reasons. By writing 500w requirement, they make sure, even the worst 500w PSUs are able to deliver enough power, and won't run at 100% load. To have some room to breath there. ^^

But yea, TL;DR: if you have very high Air temperatures, and you want to look for the best Cooling performance possible, it's easy: Palit Gamerock, Palit Jetstream, Gainward Phoenix. And their OC versions (Golden Sample, Gamerock Premium, Super Jetstream)~. In Addition to that, maybe undervolt it a bit (less voltage = less heat= and you will have a quiet Card, with good temperatures, even when Summer strikes you with 40°C.

26 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

The GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 is.. meh~ Not really good, but not horribly bad either.

Not much quieter than Founder's, but cooler. there are better models. For example, MSI Gaming X, Palit Jetstream/Gamerock, Gainward Phoenix, Zotac AMP! Extreme.

But yea decent. With high Air temperatures, it might get a bit hotter, AND thus, Louder. 

A big German Magazine did a huge Roundup last year, these are teh result for the GTX 1080:

That Calculator is wrong tho. Your System with a GTX 1080 will consume around 300w, maybe 320w max.

That's what my system is consuming with my GTX 1080 MSI Gaming X, when running at Stock settings, and my i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz (in heavy load games, where cpu AND gpu are stressed, like Witcher 3).

Undervolted a bit my system draws<250 Watt out of the Wall. I have a 480w BeQuiet Straight Power 9 series ^^

Those too high estimations still do have their reasons. By writing 500w requirement, they make sure, even the worst 500w PSUs are able to deliver enough power, and won't run at 100% load. To have some room to breath there. ^^

But yea, TL;DR: if you have very high Air temperatures, and you want to look for the best Cooling performance possible, it's easy: Palit Gamerock, Palit Jetstream, Gainward Phoenix. And their OC versions (Golden Sample, Gamerock Premium, Super Jetstream)~. In Addition to that, maybe undervolt it a bit (less voltage = less heat= and you will have a quiet Card, with good temperatures, even when Summer strikes you with 40°C.

Well, i've wanted to go with the MSI but with the 1070 variant, but then the Etherum mining became popular and everywhere i looked at it was out of stock, and now i just saw that Gigabyte is on sale and saw the 1080 Windforce at $500, and it seems a really good deal, but like i've never used a Gigabyte GPU nor read anything good about them (with the customer support), i don't know if it'll be a risky chance.

I don't care too much about the noice, i've been using an old pc with a jet engine on the PSU for the last 10 years and i think i've become inmune to the sound lol.

Will be fine.. Usually you won't ever ned to contact them for any support.

Chose your Card by the Cooling performance / Noise ^^

A GTX 1080 custom for the Price of other 1070 models, is however always a good call.

If ALL other GTX 1080 variants cost 550 or more, and the Windforce 500 only, you can just get the Gigabyte.

The cheapest GTX 1080 Custom is still better than the best high end 1070 Custom card.

If it is too loud, you can always undervolt it hard like i did.

My MSI Gaming X had 1962 Mhz stock with 1.031~ Volt out of the Box.

I set it to 1823 Mhz with 0.800 Volt, overclocked the Memory from 5000 to 5500 Mhz, and voila:

Temperatures droped by like 10°C (78° --> <70°C), Powerconsumption of the whole PC droped from 340 Watt to 240 Watt (almost 100 watt less in average), and with lower Temperatures Fan speed went from 1600-1700 down to 1200-1300 rpm.

In my Witcher 3 Test-scene, my fps dropped from 77-78 fps down to 72-73 fps.

Because i have G-Sync, i didn't notice ANY change at all. Felt exactly the same.

Around 7% less performance for a total System Powerdraw of 30-40% less.

10 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Will be fine.. Usually you won't ever ned to contact them for any support.

Chose your Card by the Cooling performance / Noise ^^

A GTX 1080 custom for the Price of other 1070 models, is however always a good call.

If ALL other GTX 1080 variants cost 550 or more, and the Windforce 500 only, you can just get the Gigabyte.

The cheapest GTX 1080 Custom is still better than the best high end 1070 Custom card.

If it is too loud, you can always undervolt it hard like i did.

My MSI Gaming X had 1962 Mhz stock with 1.031~ Volt out of the Box.

I set it to 1823 Mhz with 0.800 Volt, overclocked the Memory from 5000 to 5500 Mhz, and voila:

Temperatures droped by like 10°C (78° --> <70°C), Powerconsumption of the whole PC droped from 340 Watt to 240 Watt (almost 100 watt less in average), and with lower Temperatures Fan speed went from 1600-1700 down to 1200-1300 rpm.

In my Witcher 3 Test-scene, my fps dropped from 77-78 fps down to 72-73 fps.

Because i have G-Sync, i didn't notice ANY change at all. Felt exactly the same.

Around 7% less performance for a total System Powerdraw of 30-40% less.

Cool, i might tweak a little with the voltage on the summer. Thanks!

quality wise gigabyte is good, they dont put much emphasis into designing GPU cards though. If its cheaper and better than reference its a good deal.

There are 2 things that make a card good. First is custom VRMs that are better than reference, the 2nd is good cooling.

Had a 1070 mini catch on fire the other day. Couple pops and a small flame before it shutoff. Kinda scary, but like EVGA earlier in the year it is clear that quality control isn't like it used to be.

If you live somewhere with power surges I'd recommend a protecting UPS or similar that can regulate power, these cards don't last long at all without clean power.

2 hours ago, coconuts4eva said:

Had a 1070 mini catch on fire the other day. Couple pops and a small flame before it shutoff. Kinda scary, but like EVGA earlier in the year it is clear that quality control isn't like it used to be.

If you live somewhere with power surges I'd recommend a protecting UPS or similar that can regulate power, these cards don't last long at all without clean power.

Yeah when i get all the parts i'll ground the switch where i'll connect my pc.

I had a 9500 gt on my old pc and i wanted to connect my pc to the TV to watch a movie, i connected the HDMI and the GPU stated to sparkle, i've quickly unplugged the pc. Well, obviously the GPU died along with one side of the HDMI connector, the TV main board and the TV decoder lol.

This happened because of ESD.

4 hours ago, System Error Message said:

quality wise gigabyte is good, they dont put much emphasis into designing GPU cards though. If its cheaper and better than reference its a good deal.

There are 2 things that make a card good. First is custom VRMs that are better than reference, the 2nd is good cooling.

what? gigabyte pretty much puts all their emphasis on gpus... the aorus line up is pretty much brand new and even if the copper back plated dont really cool better, they are still better than many backplate designs, which create heat pockets... Also aftermarked cards are usually more expencive, since they have more features and better cooling, thats why they exist.

you can't do much bad by going with one of the big board designers when it comes to gpus.

I've recently built a PC and am using the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 3GB Edition. It's a great card for most triple AAA games and others e.g Star Citizen (not fully optimised however), Most Steam Games running at high to ultra depending on fxaa, antialiasing, nvidia side performance stuff. It's not the best, but its also not the worst. I'm a full time university student so I'm not really one to comment about graphic performance, but it does the job. Though I purchased mine because I was in a rush (second semester starting) I'm sure if you take your time and search/compare you could find a great card. Also, don't forget all the mining lol. 

To be 100% honest you can run a gtx 1080 with a 450 watt psu.. even 430... But cheaping out on power supplies is a dumb move.