Switching from headset to headphone(need help and advice)

hello everyone. i need somehelp and advice from you guys!

I'm using a gaming headset right now, the logitech Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum.

But i want to switch to a studio headphone with a seperate mic, but i got some questions about it.

Are studio headphones good for playing games aswell because i like to play games from time to time.

And if so will this combo work?

Headhpone: Pioneer HRM-7

Mic: Devine USB 50 USB podcasting mic

Audio interface: Focusrite Scarlett Solo

thanks in advance!

As long as you are fine with the neutral sound and have proper amplification I don't see why not. They're likely good for footsteps and only miss out in the bass in explosions. I'm guessing you already have this gear since it's odd to use usb mic when you have scarlett interface and just compare setups to see what you prefer. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

4 hours ago, doits said:

As long as you are fine with the neutral sound and have proper amplification I don't see why not. They're likely good for footsteps and only miss out in the bass in explosions. I'm guessing you already have this gear since it's odd to use usb mic when you have scarlett interface and just compare setups to see what you prefer. 

I was just throwing some stuff in there. After a long conversation with a reddit user i came to this conclusion.

Headphone:  Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 ohm

Amp: Fii0 e10k

Mic: Blue Snowball Studio USB

Im still thinking about the mic a bit because i just want the mic to talk to my friends not to host a podcast or any sort.

I'd probably just get the 80 ohm version of the DT770 and not having to spend extra money for any external amp/dac unless your motherboard is just old and cheap.

As for mic, unless you really need to do podcasts or whatnot, I'd probably just go with something like modmic. My blue snowball has the same quality as the modmic 5 (in multi-directional mode) that I run and the general background noise is less on modmic. You can just grab the multi-directional modmic 4 which is cheaper and the quality will be basically the same.

If you do grab modmic, dont forget to grab one of those small usb dac with mic imput. Even with me running one of the newest motherboards, the mic input from onboard sucks

Thanks for the recommendation @xtroria. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the ModMic as an option. As my signature says, I'm here to help!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

16 hours ago, xtroria said:

I'd probably just get the 80 ohm version of the DT770 and not having to spend extra money for any external amp/dac unless your motherboard is just old and cheap.

As for mic, unless you really need to do podcasts or whatnot, I'd probably just go with something like modmic. My blue snowball has the same quality as the modmic 5 (in multi-directional mode) that I run and the general background noise is less on modmic. You can just grab the multi-directional modmic 4 which is cheaper and the quality will be basically the same.

If you do grab modmic, dont forget to grab one of those small usb dac with mic imput. Even with me running one of the newest motherboards, the mic input from onboard sucks

i was looking at the modmic aswell it seems nice. but my motherboard is the msi z97 gaming 5. they say it can support up to 600 ohm, but im not sure if it will lack voltage or current for the headphone(250 ohm version).

EDIT: do you know any good usb dac's aswell?

16 hours ago, RaiiZeR said:

I was just throwing some stuff in there. After a long conversation with a reddit user i came to this conclusion.

Headphone:  Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 ohm

Amp: Fii0 e10k

Mic: Blue Snowball Studio USB

Im still thinking about the mic a bit because i just want the mic to talk to my friends not to host a podcast or any sort.

Replace the Fiio with a Schiit Fulla 2 and you're good. The headphones sub isn't good for recommendations.

15 hours ago, AAJoe said:

Thanks for the recommendation @xtroria. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the ModMic as an option. As my signature says, I'm here to help!

i got a question actually. if i buy the modmic do i really need an usb dac to get better results?

1 hour ago, seduce_me said:

Replace the Fiio with a Schiit Fulla 2 and you're good. The headphones sub isn't good for recommendations.

can a soundcard also do the job? like the ASUS XONAR DG?

10 hours ago, RaiiZeR said:

can a soundcard also do the job? like the ASUS XONAR DG?

Personally onboard audio has gotten much better, try it with onboard audio and see how it sounds, if it gets loud enough and you record mic with audacity to see how your mic sounds. As long as there is no static or hum then you don't "need" a dac/amp. Make sure to use mic/headphone port on motherboard and not front header. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

18 hours ago, RaiiZeR said:

i was looking at the modmic aswell it seems nice. but my motherboard is the msi z97 gaming 5. they say it can support up to 600 ohm, but im not sure if it will lack voltage or current for the headphone(250 ohm version).

EDIT: do you know any good usb dac's aswell?

Gaming 5 is a solid motherboard, you most definitely won't have any problem running the 80ohm onboard

As for the USB dac, we're only talking a cheap one here (that costs less than $20) to get the mic input. For some reason, the mic input of motherboard is always quite bad. My modmic only sounds as good as blue snowball once I plug it with the usb dac

11 hours ago, doits said:

Personally onboard audio has gotten much better, try it with onboard audio and see how it sounds, if it gets loud enough and you record mic with audacity to see how your mic sounds. As long as there is no static or hum then you don't "need" a dac/amp. Make sure to use mic/headphone port on motherboard and not front header. 

alright will do thanks alot:)

4 hours ago, xtroria said:

Gaming 5 is a solid motherboard, you most definitely won't have any problem running the 80ohm onboard

As for the USB dac, we're only talking a cheap one here (that costs less than $20) to get the mic input. For some reason, the mic input of motherboard is always quite bad. My modmic only sounds as good as blue snowball once I plug it with the usb dac

i will order a cheap usb dac aswell for my mic, thanks for the help:)

Apologies for the delay @RaiiZeR - A soundcard can do a good job as well, the USB dac is cheaper (and you get what you pay for to some degree, however I rarely feel an onboard soundcard is worth it anymore). Basically if you are going to spend more you may as well start looking into mixers and external DACs and things rather than the weird position an internal sound card finds its self.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

1 hour ago, AAJoe said:

Apologies for the delay @RaiiZeR - A soundcard can do a good job as well, the USB dac is cheaper (and you get what you pay for to some degree, however I rarely feel an onboard soundcard is worth it anymore). Basically if you are going to spend more you may as well start looking into mixers and external DACs and things rather than the weird position an internal sound card finds its self.

Then i will just buy a cheap usb dac, thanks for your help:)