Do Intel G41 Express chipset motherboard support more than 1gb graphics card?

anmols344
Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,

Complete bullshit. Tell the sales quack.

If it can physically fit, it'll work. Graphics cards are compatible with every motherboard as long as there's an actual physical PCIe x16 slot to fit it in. You can even make them work with x1 and x4 slots by sawing off the end. @LinusTech did that a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

What CPU are you running? You could get a GTX 1050 or even better. A GT 610 is absolute garbage.

hey guys, Today I went to get a GT1030 2gb for my pc which have Intel g41 express chipset motherboard but sales person told me that my motherboard can't support more than 1gb graphics card and suggested me to buy gt 610 as they didn't have 710 or 730 .. So please I need expert help here only to tell me do my motherboard support 2gb graphics card or not(please be sure because if I buy 2gb graphics card and it won't work I can't replace it) Thanks

If it can physically fit, it'll work. Graphics cards are compatible with every motherboard as long as there's an actual physical PCIe x16 slot to fit it in. You can even make them work with x1 and x4 slots by sawing off the end. @LinusTech did that a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

What CPU are you running? You could get a GTX 1050 or even better. A GT 610 is absolute garbage.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

If it can physically fit, it'll work. Graphics cards are compatible with every motherboard as long as there's an actual PCIe slot to fit it in.

Core 2 dou E7500 .. 1050 will bottleneck it for sure....I was going for GT1030 but he said 2gb won't work... are you sure it will work , if it didn't my money will go in waste...

Just now, anmols344 said:

Core 2 dou E7500 .. 1050 will bottleneck it for sure....I was going for GT1030 but he said 2gb won't work... are you sure it will work , if it didn't my money will go in waste...

It will work 100%. I first recommend upgrading the cpu though since your core 2 duo would bottleneck the gt 1030. Get a cheap core 2 quad off of ebay and get a gtx 1050 and that should be a pretty decent upgrade.

What's the CPU? It will work as long as there's a PCIe slot for it.

Just now, anmols344 said:

You're fine. Older systems can use newer cards. You 'd be better with a 1050 though. It would give a lot better performance, and you'd have the ability to move it to another computer. I'm certain it will work.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, anmols344 said:

Upgrade to a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (it'll run you $10 on Craigslist or eBay) and get a 1050.

Your sales guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. It's not possible for a motherboard to limit a graphics card's memory. It's like saying if you wear blue shoes you won't be able to wear a red hat. If the hat fits, you can wear it.

The GPU will work.

So guys, it will work  with my G41 express Chipset??? Right??

11 minutes ago, anmols344 said:

hey guys, Today I went to get a GT1030 2gb for my pc which have Intel g41 express chipset motherboard but sales person told me that my motherboard can't support more than 1gb graphics card and suggested me to buy gt 610 as they didn't have 710 or 730 .. So please I need expert help here only to tell me do my motherboard support 2gb graphics card or not(please be sure because if I buy 2gb graphics card and it won't work I can't replace it) Thanks

Complete bull motherboards can support anything if they fit just buy it off amazon so u don't have to deal will dumb people like that

1 minute ago, anmols344 said:

Yes

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Upgrade to a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (it'll run you $10 on Craigslist or eBay) and get a 1050.

Your sales guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. It's not possible for a motherboard to limit a graphics card's memory. It's like saying if you wear blue shoes you won't be able to wear a red hat. If the hat fits, you can wear it.

The GPU will work.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What's the CPU? It will work as long as there's a PCIe slot for it.

You're fine. Older systems can use newer cards. You 'd be better with a 1050 though. It would give a lot better performance, and you'd have the ability to move it to another computer. I'm certain it will work.

3 minutes ago, david cassar said:

It will work 100%. I first recommend upgrading the cpu though since your core 2 duo would bottleneck the gt 1030. Get a cheap core 2 quad off of ebay and get a gtx 1050 and that should be a pretty decent upgrade.

Thanks a lot guys . You are true life saviors may god bless you all...

1 minute ago, anmols344 said:

Yes absolutely. The biggest concern is what OS you're using, and making sure that there are drivers available. As long as you're using Windows 7 (or higher), you're 100% totally fine with using that GPU.

A PCIe slot is a PCIe slot, regardless of the version (2.0 vs 3.0). As long as the GPU physically fits in (Meaning it's an x16 sized slot), then your motherboard won't give a shit what GPU it is.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes absolutely. The biggest concern is what OS you're using, and making sure that there are drivers available. As long as you're using Windows 7 (or higher), you're 100% totally fine with using that GPU.

A PCIe slot is a PCIe slot, regardless of the version (2.0 vs 3.0). As long as the GPU physically fits in (Meaning it's an x16 sized slot), then your motherboard won't give a shit what GPU it is.

Win 8.1 64 bit....Thanks you guys really pumped me up..

5 minutes ago, david cassar said:

yes it will work the sales guy was blatantly lying to you.

You want to watch that. Being ignorant is not the same as 'blatantly lying'. He was clearly misinformed.

A GT 610 is a piece of shit lowest-tier Kepler GPU from 2012 that is among the cheapest you can buy, next to the Radeon HD 5450. A salesman doesn't benefit from selling someone a way cheaper GPU when it's actually more reasonable to buy a more expensive and far more powerful one. Unless he's trying to sell it for way more than it's worth, this isn't a 'blatant lie'. You have to be aware that what you're saying is untrue to tell a lie.

2 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Go back to the store and ask for the same sales guy and kick him in the balls

Just called him and told him that he didn't know anything ..He should go to school again..

For what it is worth, I ran an 2GB EVGA GTX 950 SC+ for a brief moment on my DG41RQ, until I switched it out for an Inspiron motherboard with an I5-2350(?), Then finally to my current Gigabyte ga-z77-hd3.... I gave the Inspiron board to my younger brother, who uses it with a 2GB GTX 650ti..... So yeah, buy the card you want and don't listen to "Expert" retail salesman.

Jeremy

ETA: I did do the socket 771 mod on my DG41RQ. It still works and houses a Xeon E5450 with Windows 10 pro. I will point out that I had issues upgrading to win 10 from win 7, while using the Xeon processor. The processor lacks a certain instruction set that the upgrade "requires". It runs fine, once installed...

Edited by Jman87
Added info about processor.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

You want to watch that. Being ignorant is not the same as 'blatantly lying'. He was clearly misinformed.

A GT 610 is a piece of shit lowest-tier Kepler GPU from 2012 that is among the cheapest you can buy, next to the Radeon HD 5450. A salesman doesn't benefit from selling someone a way cheaper GPU when it's actually more reasonable to buy a more expensive and far more powerful one. Unless he's trying to sell it for way more than it's worth, this isn't a 'blatant lie'. You have to be aware that what you're saying is untrue to tell a lie.

he does benefit from selling crap that's taking up inventory space for 5 years already and no sane person is willing to buy it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K