Why isn't the Fury X more powerful

MoonlightSylv

I'm not saying that I'm not satisfied with my card, I am, and I'm also not fanboying. Now that that's out of the way.

Why isn't the Fury X more powerful? It has 4096 Stream Processors and 8.6 TFLOPs. Wouldn't these specs translate to a much more powerful card or do specs not matter at all on this thing? I'm genuinely curious as to why a card that on paper is stronger than a 980Ti isn't faster.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

You can't compare cores and TFLOPs between different architrectures. AMD usually needs more TFLOPs to get the same performance as Nvidia

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Ehhh stream processors and TFLOPs dont directly relate to performance in games really at all. A cuda core (nvidia cards have this) is not directly comparable to a stream proc in any way

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can't compare cores and TFLOPs between different architrectures. AMD usually needs more TFLOPs to get the same performance as Nvidia

Essentially TFLOPS mean jack shit to IRL performance 

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

Ehhh stream processors and TFLOPs dont directly relate to performance in games really at all. A cuda core (nvidia cards have this) is not directly comparable to a stream proc in any way

They have the same processes but more Stream processors are required to get the same amount of performance as a single cuda core

Fury X has problems in really "using" all those Cores at the best efficiency.

and yea, 4gb Vram is pretty low. Even it it were HBM8, it wouldn't mean much. Works most of the times, in some games, 4gb are bottlenecking even in 1080p.

Also, stuff like Driver overhead in DX11, Driver optimizations for games, Game optimizations for the Architecture itself.. 

because it competes with a 980ti iirc, and a heavily overclocked 980ti is just a middle of the road 1070 in gaming performance.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

because it competes with a 980ti iirc, and a heavily overclocked 980ti is just a middle of the road 1070 in gaming performance.

A heavily overclocked 980 Ti is better than a 1070 :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

A heavily overclocked 980 Ti is better than a 1070 :P

minus power efficiency and whatever novideo shoved into that card

im talking like 185-250mhz range, i really have no idea how a 980ti overclocks but im pretty sure thats all you can get without 95c hellfire in your room 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Darkseth said:

Untill you heavily overclock the 1070 too :P

haha nice meme

with a locked bios that is encrypted, and a voltage lock of 1.04v on my card..........

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

18 minutes ago, Oryzaki said:

Be warned that this answer is old and is prior to GCN architecture even (and recall with GCN, which was significantly more programmable, AMD started pushing more on compute). In HD 6970 AMD was still using VLIW4 (TeraScale 3).

The capabilities and arrangements of the shaders / processing cores / whatever you want to call them have changed over time for both companies (okay and Intel too).

If you look at some non-gaming benchmarks, you do see some scenarios where you got high usage of all the resources in Fury X and sometimes a significant lead over GTX 980 Ti. Also some games as well. Depends on the exact workload and optimization of course, and obviously on compute if you're looking at OpenCL, Nvidia doesn't care as much about that because they're all about their CUDA ecosystem.

Also there are just some scenarios where HBM is less suited (the bandwidth was great because the design is so wide, but at higher latency IIRC), or the 4 GB of VRAM is an issue.

Just now, themctipers said:

haha nice meme

with a locked bios that is encrypted, and a voltage lock of 1.04v on my card..........

Afterburner --> Voltage to +100, and Voltage should cap at 1.093 Volt^^" On EVERY pascal so far. Haven't heared 1 single unit, that didn't go that far up.

still, 2.1 Ghz is quite common for most 1070 Unity at higher voltage. The worser ones shoulds till do 2050+

23 minutes ago, Oryzaki said:

what console fanboys use and look where that got them.

not very comparable, a console can do much more with 1.8 teraflops than a similar spec PC can, since DEV has direct access to hardware. 

Just now, Darkseth said:

Afterburner --> Voltage to +100, and Voltage should cap at 1.093 Volt^^" On EVERY pascal so far. Haven't heared 1 single unit, that didn't go that far up.

still, 2.1 Ghz is quite common for most 1070 Unity at higher voltage. The worser ones shoulds till do 2050+

not a thing :( tried it but it did nothing

mine did 1950 at first, then with a reinstall of windows and sipping some of amd's FineWineTM technology, it now is doing 2050mhz at 160w.. yeah, im power limited too. :(

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

not very comparable, a console can do much more with 1.8 teraflops than a similar spec PC can, since DEV has direct access to hardware. 

I was talking about how they said because the were getting 8 or what ever amount of terraflops on the xbox one x it would be as good as a 1080. Also optimization is optimizeing the drivers of the hardware.

Just now, themctipers said:

not a thing :( tried it but it did nothing

mine did 1950 at first, then with a reinstall of windows and sipping some of amd's FineWineTM technology, it now is doing 2050mhz at 160w.. yeah, im power limited too. :(

What..?! Which model do you have?

No 1070 is powerlimited at 160 Watt o.O^^ Stock (Founders) can go up to 170 Watt (150 with 113% PT). Custom models usually can go up to 190-200+

But still... not worth cranking it up so high anyway^^" +50% Powerdraw for +1-2 fps.. useless :P

I have my GTX 1080 at 0.8 Volt and 1821 Mhz (but Memory to +500), and i feel zero difference thanks to G-Sync ^^" And my GTX 1080 draws only 120-135~ Watt. And is still faster, than EVERY hard Overclocked 1070 / 980 ti :P

Just now, Darkseth said:

What..?! Which model do you have?

No 1070 is powerlimited at 160 Watt o.O^^ Stock (Founders) can go up to 170 Watt (150 with 113% PT). Custom models usually can go up to 190-200+

But still... not worth cranking it up so high anyway^^" +50% Powerdraw for +1-2 fps.. useless :P

I have my GTX 1080 at 0.8 Volt and 1821 Mhz (but Memory to +500), and i feel zero difference thanks to G-Sync ^^" And my GTX 1080 draws only 120-135~ Watt. And is still faster, than EVERY hard Overclocked 1070 / 980 ti :P

gtx 1070 zotac (not amp/minin/whatever, just zotac)

mine can only +13% on power limit. sorta worth, +4-5fps 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Oryzaki said:

I was talking about how they said because the were getting 8 or what ever amount of terraflops on the xbox one x it would be as good as a 1080. Also optimization is optimizeing the drivers of the hardware.

it would be better than a gtx 1060, not as powerful as a gtx 1070, but close 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it would be better than a gtx 1060, not as powerful as a gtx 1070, but close 

My GTX 1060 can get artificial 4k at 60fps soooo... some games weren't even going to be fake 4k 

2 minutes ago, Oryzaki said:

My GTX 1060 can get artificial 4k at 60fps soooo...

so? who cares, consoles can do a lot more with less powerful hardware. i was pointing out the facts Tflops matter but not always, Xbox throw around numbers does mean something. 

for 600$, 4k 30FPS ( most AAA will have to checkerboard) gaming, 4k HDR BlueRay and much more advantages, bringing console into PC gaming is kinda dumb.