GTX 1080 TI - Temp limit issue

zzz123

It won't downclock till it exceeds the temp limit which by default is 84. so if it happens at 85/86 that is exactly when its supposed to happen. The auto fan profile is super weak for noise reasons. I suggest you install afterburner and input a custom fan curve

I feel like auto fan speed is off, it should be higher than 40-60% if you want lower temps at more intense usage.

To my knowledge the thermal limit is 84c on 1080ti FE cards.

3 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

I feel like auto fan speed is off, it should be higher than 40-60% if you want lower temps at more intense usage.

To my knowledge the thermal limit is 84c on 1080ti FE cards.

I agree with op fan profile on auto will not exceed 60% I think its noise related, it will reduce temp via throttle instead. Dial in a custom profile though and it behaves as expected.

So why it sometimes it will not throttle clock on 85C? I have higher clocks on 85C and there is not thermal throttle on gpuz.

Founders Edition cards normally run that hot. It's that simple. Their cooling solutions aren't the best on the market, so if you want cooler temperatures, download an overclocking app and increase the fan speed or watercool it.

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

most of the time the gpu sits at 83-84C°C in heavy gaming with 49% auto fan and there are throttling in clocks which is normal.

But sometimes my GPU reached quickly 85-86°C at 60% auto fan speed.

. I decided to watch everything on the GPU with gpuz, especially the Clocks. Now the strange thing, the GPU was not downclocking. Normally my Card downclocks if it reaches 83-84°C to maintain the temp target.

Hi. This is test of 1080 ti :

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/957-4/protocole-test.html

Please. Explain me this words:

" Suite à un bug avec les derniers pilotes Nvidia, la limite de température se désenclenche par moment, ce qui fausse les résultats et demande un reboot du système, et à une plateforme de test capricieuse, nous avons perdu pas mal de temps et n'avons pu terminer les tests en 4K et avec overclocking. Nous attendons une nouvelle carte-mère pour y revenir. "

Edited by TheRandomness
Fixed formatting

What you mean "disengages at times" ?

Use Google translate.

"Following a bug with the latest Nvidia drivers, the temperature limit is disengaged at times, which distorts the results and requires a reboot of the system, and a capricious test platform, we lost a lot of time and n ' We were able to finish the tests in 4K and with overclocking. We are waiting for a new motherboard to come back.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, zzz123 said:

What you mean "disengages at times" ?

The temp limit stops sometimes.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

So what you mean "TEMP LIMIT" stops?

Just set a custom fan curve through msi afterburner.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Temp target is the ideal target for the card, it can still go over those temperatures and at that point the fans will ramp up to cool the card down to the target temperature. You won't really thermal throttle the card unless it's in the 90C to 100C range.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

But why i dont have thermal throttling on 87-88C temps then ?

But why i dont have thermal throttling on 87-88C temps then ?

It may just have to be a bit higher to throttle. Also quote people when replying with the arrow button on their reply

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Temp target is the ideal target for the card, it can still go over those temperatures and at that point the fans will ramp up to cool the card down to the target temperature. You won't really thermal throttle the card unless it's in the 90C to 100C range.

I have default temp target 84C. So why sometimes i have 88C and higher clocks? And sometimes 84C and lower clocks

Mine also went up to 87 on autofan. Make a custom fan curve, the card will be louder but temps will improve a lot, right now my 1080 Ti FE is staying below 80C most of the time.

3 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

Mine also went up to 87 on autofan. Make a custom fan curve, the card will be louder but temps will improve a lot, right now my 1080 Ti FE is staying below 80C most of the time.

87C with auto fan. Clocks throttling? Mine not throttle on 87C.

87C with auto fan. Clocks throttling? Mine not throttle on 87C.

Yeah, my clocks could drop as low as 1540 Mhz when it reached that temp. Now it stays at around 1800 Mhz at all time, stock, just with the better temps.

When it hits 87C auto fan is 60%. Yours too 60%?

Hi. Please translate for me this words. I will be very greatful.

" Ich frage mich gerade, wieso die Temperatur und darauf hin auch die Lüfterdrehzahl hier (http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-11G-Grafikkarte-265855/Tests/Test-Review-1222421/galerie/2713102/?fullsize) so sprunghaft ansteigen. Man erkennt zwar, dass das PT ab der stelle, wo die Temperatur etwas steigen (kurz vor der Steigung der Lüfterkurve), sowie die Taktraten etwas höher sind als davor, aber sollte das Temp-Limit von 84 (85°C) nicht eigentlich greifen und die Karte weiter drosseln? Dass der Lüfter bei 87°C dann natürlich stärker dreht als bei 85°C ist dann ja auch klar. 

Irgendwie wirkt das Verhalten komisch. Wenn die Karte durch die Temperatur (beispielsweise 40°C Raumtemperatur) die ganze Zeit auf ihren Basistakt fallen würde, welcher bei genügend Powerspielraum nicht unterschritten wird (auch bei 85°C<X<90°C), könnte man ja noch verstehen, dass der Lüfter stärker aufdreht. Die Karte taktet nicht weiter runter, kann also wärmer als 85°C werden und somit steigt auch die Lüfterdrehzahl stärker an. 

Aber in dem Fall von PCGH taktet die Karte ja weiterhin mit rund 1750 MHz und müsste ja eigentlich deutlich stärker die Taktrate/Spannung runterregeln. Vielelicht kann Raff was dazu sagen? "

Link:

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-579694.html

Edited by TheRandomness
Fixed formatting

"I'm just wondering why the temperature and the fan speed are here too (http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-11G-Grafikkarte-265855/Tests/Test-Review-1222421/galerie / 2713102 /? Fullsize) so you can see that the PT from the place where the temperature rises slightly (just before the gradient of the fan curve), as well as the clock rates are somewhat higher than before, but should be the Temp limit Of 84 (85 ° C) does not actually reach and throttle the card further? That the fan at 87 ° C, of course, turns more strongly than at 85 ° C is then synonymous clear. Which is not exceeded under sufficient power margin (also at 85 ° C <X <90 ° C), one could still understand that the fan turns up more strongly. The card does not clock down further, so can be warmer than 85 ° C and thus also the fan speed increases more strongly. But in the case of PCGH clocks the card continues to be around 1750 MHz and should actually significantly stronger the clock rate / voltage down. Many light can say Raff? " 

Google translate is a thing. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Chrome says:

Which is not exceeded under sufficient power margin (also at 85 ° C <X <90 ° C), one could still understand that the fan turns up more strongly. The card does not clock down further, so can be warmer than 85 ° C and thus also the fan speed increases more strongly. But in the case of PCGH clocks the card continues to be around 1750 MHz and should actually significantly stronger the clock rate / voltage down. Many light can say Raff? " But in the case of PCGH clocks the card continues to be around 1750 MHz and should actually significantly stronger the clock rate / voltage down. Many light can say Raff? " But in the case of PCGH clocks the card continues to be around 1750 MHz and should actually significantly stronger the clock rate / voltage down. Many light can say Raff? "

So he mean that card reach 85C+ with auto higher fan and clocks was not goes down?