WD or Seagate

Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,

Hi GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls,

thanks for considering a BarraCuda!

(and thanks JacobFW for that awesome response!)

JacobFW implied it already: much more important than the decision on the brand is to pick the right drive for the right purpose: there are roughly three main types of hard drives: Desktop & Gaming (current Seagate lineup: BarraCuda), NAS (current Seagate lineup: IronWolf), and Surveillance (current Seagate lineup: SkyHawk). They all connect in the same way, but were engineered with different uses in mind. For example, IronWolf drives are rated for 24x7 use and optimized for NAS enclosures and extra vibration protection, so they have a lot of firmware optimizations and extras that make them costly for a typical desktop user or gamer.

In your case -since you mentioned gaming and uploading (thus: "regular" computing") and are not planning on using the HDD in a 24/7 NAS setting- we would definitely go for a desktop drive: a BarraCuda or a BarraCuda Pro for enhanced performance. 

Generally spoken, the combination of a smaller SSD (OS and programs) plus a regular HDD (for storage space) is recommended. If you are looking for a single drive solution, you can also take a look at a SSHD, combining a small flash portion for increased performance with increased storage space.

Enjoy your new drive(s)!

i know 2.5" WD blues spin at 5400 but 3.5" WD blues spin at 7200 AFAIK 

4 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

Iv only sent the 1tb WD blue rated at 7200rpm

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

32 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

they are  both 2 TB , Western Digital Blue 2TB , Seagate Barracuda 2TB , the WD is 5400 rpm , the Seagate is 7200 rpm . they have exactly the same price , which one? ( gaming and uploading videos )

I can't read that language. Compare warranty, cache and rpm. I believe the sea gate will be 7200rpm and the WD will be 5400rpm so pick seagate

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Iv only sent the 1tb WD blue rated at 7200rpm

i only looked at 1tb models sorted by price ... i think that's why i didn't notice most WD blues are 5400

there is the WD WD10EZEX that spins at 7200 rpm and for 3 bucks more there is the WD10EZRZ wich is 5400 rpm. moving up to 2gb i only see the -RZ drive 

yeah ... take the seagate then

WD drives have worked great for me over the years.  Not saying Seagate drives are bad.  Just that I haven't used any in about 10 years so I don't have any recent experience with them.  

This is my philosophy when it comes to mechanical hard drives.  You're welcome to disagree.

Hard Drives are slow.  End of Story.  I do not pick Hard drives for speed, and whenever anyone asks me, I tell them they shouldn't either.

To be clear, YES, there are situations where the higher RPM's can be taken advantage of, but usually, if you don't know already, it's probably not you.

I buy Hard Drives for:

* Capacity (duh I know)

* Reliability (I usually buy NAS drives, which are slower but better quality)

To be clear, that's my approach.  Not saying it has yours or anyone elses.  

Hi GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls,

thanks for considering a BarraCuda!

(and thanks JacobFW for that awesome response!)

JacobFW implied it already: much more important than the decision on the brand is to pick the right drive for the right purpose: there are roughly three main types of hard drives: Desktop & Gaming (current Seagate lineup: BarraCuda), NAS (current Seagate lineup: IronWolf), and Surveillance (current Seagate lineup: SkyHawk). They all connect in the same way, but were engineered with different uses in mind. For example, IronWolf drives are rated for 24x7 use and optimized for NAS enclosures and extra vibration protection, so they have a lot of firmware optimizations and extras that make them costly for a typical desktop user or gamer.

In your case -since you mentioned gaming and uploading (thus: "regular" computing") and are not planning on using the HDD in a 24/7 NAS setting- we would definitely go for a desktop drive: a BarraCuda or a BarraCuda Pro for enhanced performance. 

Generally spoken, the combination of a smaller SSD (OS and programs) plus a regular HDD (for storage space) is recommended. If you are looking for a single drive solution, you can also take a look at a SSHD, combining a small flash portion for increased performance with increased storage space.

Enjoy your new drive(s)!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 13/07/2017 at 9:21 AM, KenjiUmino said:

2TB and above WD Blues are 5400

Search for speed tests, even though the drive spins faster, this is not the only value that counts, I have a 7200RPM laptop drive that gets about 90MB/s, but my 7200RPM desktop drive gets almost 190MB/s (even on desktop HDs there are differences), I'd choose the WD one, WD is in overall more reliable, and from what I know about these cheap Seagate drives, they are very slow, even being 7200.