WD Unveils the Black Squared Dual Drive (SSD + HDD, not for caching)

vanwazltoff

http://www.maximumpc.com/wd_unveils_black_squared_dual_drive2013

I was wondering when WD would get into the SSHD market, but they decided to do this instead. Its an independent SSD and HDD in a 9.5mm 2.5" form factor. Their are a few cons, it will only work with Windows (at this time), it does not support RAID, only the SSD is initially usable (for OS install) then the 1TB mechanical portion is unlocked through software. Suggested retail price is $300 which get you a 120GB SSD and a 5400RPM 1TB mechanical drive in one. I think this is pretty cool but the price and caveats makes it not quite for everyone. This is aimed at SFF systems and laptops. Because of the 9.5mm thickness most Ultrabooks cannot use it. The SSD is mid-lower range in performance.

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

This has been posted before and the general consensus was WD was too late/it's a waste of money since you can get both in higher capacity for a cheaper combined price.

looked through a few pages and didnt see it, sorry for the double post

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

This is a product intended for Notebooks. We may soon see WD SSHD. I wonder what nand and controller are they using.

great idea but the price and limitations  need to be addressed

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

This is pretty cool but you could buy a 120gb Samsung 840 Evo and a 1TB Seagate Barracuda for less than $300...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer