HELP!!! Can anyone recommend a good free recovery software?

Hi guys, i transferred  a large amount of photos, music, vids etc, to my external HDD. Now the disc is saying there is nothing on it, Can someone tell me a free OR cheap way of trying to get some of the data back? its got photos on there that i dont have the originals or negatives for anymore.

Thanks in advance

You can try Recuva. It worked well for me. But not all data are recoverable. Some may be corrupted.

I have always used a program called photorec. Runs in linux and has helped me much in the past. Be aware that it takes a long time and your files will not be returned with their original filenames.

1 minute ago, 4klips said:

You can try Recuva. It worked well for me. But not all data are recoverable. Some may be corrupted.

Was just about to suggest. However be-careful - some methods can cause more harm then good. If your really concerned about your lost data seek professional help.

10 minutes ago, AtomicAftermath said:

Was just about to suggest. However be-careful - some methods can cause more harm then good. If your really concerned about your lost data seek professional help.

first make a image with dd rescue befor using any recovery software. you dont want to recover from the drive itsself