Anandtech's Opinions on Removable Batteries and Storage in Phones

Anand Lal Shimpi and Brian Klug of Anandtech have written a very interesting article about the advantages and disadvantages of removable storage and batteries in phones. 

Ultimately this is where the position comes from. MicroSD cards themselves represent a performance/endurance tradeoff, there is potentially a physical tradeoff (nerfing a unibody design, and once you go down that path you can also lose internal volume for battery use) and without Google's support we'll never see them used in flagship Nexus devices. There's nothing inherently wrong with the use of microSD as an external storage option, but by and large that ship has sailed. Manufacturers tend to make design decisions around what they believe will sell, and for many the requirement for removable storage just isn't high up on the list. Similar to our position on removable batteries, devices aren't penalized in our reviews for having/not-having a removable microSD card slot.

Once you start looking at it through the lens of a manufacturer trying to balance build quality, internal volume optimization and the need for external storage, it becomes a simpler decision to ditch the slot. Particularly on mobile devices where some sort of a cloud connection is implied, leveraging the network for mass storage makes sense. This brings up a separate discussion about mobile network operators and usage based billing, but the solution there is operator revolution.

So, their basic argument is that removable batteries and SD card expansion in phones are simply not needed if internal optimizations are made and if companies put larger amounts of storage stock in their phones. I'm with Anandtech on the battery issue, but I like using SD cards. Cloud storage isn't an option, especially in this age of tiered data plans that cost an arm, leg, eyeball, and liver. 

Thus, the two don't penalize phones for not having removable batteries and storage in their reviews. 

What's your opinion? 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7543/a-post-about-removable-storage-removable-batteries-and-smartphones

P.S. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section. But based on the source, I feel that it belongs here. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

My HTC One doesn't have a removable battery nor micro SD card and I haven't missed it yet. All tough I've owned phones with e removable battery, I've never changed it... 

I don't think they should sacrifice build quality for either. Samsungs phones that have remained plastic and feeling cheap, others have moved away from this and it shows in the build quality. Now USB OTG or cloud storage can be used for more storage and portable battery packs hold more charge than a spare battery does. Just make 64Gb internal the norm, that's heaps for most people. Using removable batteries requires space that could of been used to fit a larger capacity internal battery. Battery life is only improving as well, phones actually last all day which wasn't the case a couple years ago. More efficient screen technologies, faster, lower power SoCs, reductions in component sizes allowing for larger batteries, etc it'll only get better.

As an owner of a HTC DNA, I miss both my removable battery and SD card slot. When you're loading custom ROM's on your phone, you'll want both.

Not having a removable battery or microSD slot is perfectly fine, so long as the internet components are enough to not want one. A battery that lasts at least a full day with fairly heavy use would be acceptable (as horrible as that is, battery tech needs to go somewhere :( ) and 64gb needs to start becoming to norm for internal storage with phone resolution increasing which drives up the texture size on games and size of media consumption.

Obviously there isn't an appropriate line when it comes to these things because everyone has different wants/needs for their phone which changes things. It's nice to have the option to choose a phone which suits your particular needs though.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

If the phone is delivered with less than 32GB of internal storage, it needs a flash card slot. I have a lot of music, and I like to have it with me. I have an off-line navigation assistant, which run up to about 4GB of maps.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

When you're loading custom ROM's on your phone, you'll want both.

But it's not like it was a few years ago, when using a custom ROM was almost a necessity. Plus rooting and flashing is so much more streamlined today, the chance of something going wrong is pretty damn small compared to what it used to be and it'll only improve. You can't expect manufacturers to base design decisions on how the way a relativity small number of people use their phones if it's not how they were intended to be used. They could just make rooting and flashing that little bit similar if that were the case.

removable battery.... not so much tbh, especially if better batteries become a thing but actually what needs to happen with batteries is investment into the tech needs to happen tbh. We need the technology to be moved forward.

As for storage, we need more of it, much bloody more. And removable also, who can trust cloud storage tbh, never mind the cost of it

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I wouldn't even consider buying a phone without a removeable battery and microSD card. The more modular the better; size isn't much of a consideration for me. I like the Note 3, aside from all the Samsung crap ofc.

If the phone has 32GB storage, I'm happy. Any less than that then I would like and SD slot. As for the battery, I really don't see why you need to have one that is removable.

But it's not like it was a few years ago, when using a custom ROM was almost a necessity. Plus rooting and flashing is so much more streamlined today, the chance of something going wrong is pretty damn small compared to what it used to be and it'll only improve. You can't expect manufacturers to base design decisions on how the way a relativity small number of people use their phones if it's not how they were intended to be used. They could just make rooting and flashing that little bit similar if that were the case.

I still consider it a necessity. Using Sense? Blegh, absolute garbage UI. I'm extremely happy with my stock Android 4.2.2 on my DNA.

If the next phone I buy doesn't have available custom ROM's, then I guess I'll be sticking with my DNA for as long as I can. With all the crap permanent apps pre-installed on all phones today, the only phone I'll buy without rooting it are Nexus devices.

Having removable batteries has its advantages. You can get after-market ones that performs better and if your battery dies (like they will, given enough usage) you can fix it your self. But I'd rather have a larger non-removable battery inside my phone than a smaller, removable battery and the mechanisms required to make it removable.

As for SD, I get why some people want them, because then you can upgrade your storage cheaply instead of paying a lot for the same space from the factory, but I haven't yet reached the point where 32 internal gigs on my phone wasn't enough. There's also the convenience of easy file transfer, but then you'll need an SD card reader and a Micro SD to SD converter, which some might argue isn't as convenient as just one USB cable. But again, I would much rather have the internal space go towards something useful than the mechanisms needed for removable storage.

I guess some power users might want those features, maybe because of custom ROMs or whatever, but they always find a way to manage, the needs of the regular users are far more important.

Also, Unibody.

Cloud storage isn't an option, especially in this age of tiered data plans that cost an arm, leg, eyeball, and liver. 

It's free, no? Dropbox (I've got 24 gigs on my account), Box (free 50 gigs for being an Xperia user), Drive, SkyDrive. Back-up files on there and sync with PC if you want an additional back-up.

I personally hate MicroSDs for phones. I've had files become corrupt many times after taking it out of the phone and trying to load new stuff on it and verse versa. I don't bother taking it out now, just loading files by connecting phone to PC or wireless with Dropbox on PC (auto sync). I've also noticed if you have a lot of files on it, it is CPU intensive trying to load images or videos (actually accessing the directory or app, not using the app though). And of course, it does have huge impact on battery depending on phone use.

That said, I've prefer the option to change the battery if the phones starts to suffer after a year or two of use. Needless to say, my issues with battery life is completely due to OS problems, not so much the phone.

P.S. I think 32 GB on phones may become the lowest memory standard next year (we'll have to see what Apple does).

Streaming everything from "the cloud" is not going to be an option until wireless providers are forced to do away with awful data caps.  If I were to listen to all my music on Spotify or Google Music or something I'd burn through my 3GB so quickly...

It'd be fine if phones actually came with a decent amount of internal storage.  But no, most still come with 16GB, then expect you to pay $100 extra for a 32GB SKU, and then another $100 for a 64GB SKU.  I refuse to pay $200 for an extra 48GB of flash storage when I can buy a 32GB MicroSD card for $20-30 and use that in multiple devices if need be.  I don't care if the internal flash is higher quality; it's not worth paying an arm and a leg for.

So no, as long as manufacturers and wireless companies continue to price gouge customers like this, the need for MicroSD very much exists.

It's not for everyone of course.  But for someone like me, who stores 12GB of music (not a huge library by any means), Titanium Backups, and other miscellaneous media files, 16GB just isn't enough.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

removable battery.... not so much tbh, especially if better batteries become a thing but actually what needs to happen with batteries is investment into the tech needs to happen tbh. We need the technology to be moved forward.

As for storage, we need more of it, much bloody more. And removable also, who can trust cloud storage tbh, never mind the cost of it

Cloud storage is all great and all, but what happens when you're on holiday where you'll end up spending more on the phone bill than you did on the 16 hour flight if you leave data roaming on? Or if you're in the middle of nowhere, good luck streaming your stuff without a 3G or 4G connection.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I hate it how phones are moving away from removable battery's ... having a phone freeze up your only option is to pull out the battery to do a hard reset .

I agree about the storage if the phone is built with plenty i dont mind it not having it - but company's saying its ok because you can store it on the cloud is a load of crap

Its all about those volumetric clouds

As for SD, I get why some people want them, because then you can upgrade your storage cheaply instead of paying a lot for the same space from the factory, but I haven't yet reached the point where 32 internal gigs on my phone wasn't enough. There's also the convenience of easy file transfer, but then you'll need an SD card reader and a Micro SD to SD converter, which some might argue isn't as convenient as just one USB cable. But again, I would much rather have the internal space go towards something useful than the mechanisms needed for removable storage.

I don't know about you, but I can mount the sd card as a removable drive by connecting my phone via usb to my PC. No need for any kind of adapter.

I don't mind if I can't add a SD card if internal storage is big enough (12gb or more of useable storage space is enough for me)

The battery must be removable though and I won't buy a phone who does not let me..

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

I don't know about you, but I can mount the sd card as a removable drive by connecting my phone via usb to my PC. No need for any kind of adapter.

Off course I can (even if I don't have a removable SD card), but if that's how people prefer to do file transfers, then the whole argument of easy file transfer because of a removable SD card falls away.

I still consider it a necessity. Using Sense? Blegh, absolute garbage UI. I'm extremely happy with my stock Android 4.2.2 on my DNA.

If the next phone I buy doesn't have available custom ROM's, then I guess I'll be sticking with my DNA for as long as I can. With all the crap permanent apps pre-installed on all phones today, the only phone I'll buy without rooting it are Nexus devices.

I meant more in terms of the blatant restrictions and shitty experience that it once was. You needed to flash if you wanted decent battery life or expand the limited number of apps you could install due to the tiny internal storage and no support for installing them on an SD card or have the UI run smoothly and not hang because your fingers were too quck for the phones single core processer, etc.

Meh, personally I like Sense. I was going to  flash when I got my One X+ but I just ended up deciding it wasn't necessary, If you need root access or what a different UI I can understand but phones just aren't at the stage anymore where flashing will noticeably improve snappiness and battery life and Android and internal storage have matured so that you aren't so restricted and a lot of the features that flashing once offered are now standard.

Off course I can (even if I don't have a removable SD card), but if that's how people prefer to do file transfers, then the whole argument of easy file transfer because of a removable SD card falls away.

For me, it is simple "how can I get a phone that has enough storage without paying out of the wazoo?". An the answer is: get one with an SD card slot, that I can use my 32GB micro sd card in.

Local storage >>>>>>> cloud storage. Especially as I don't trust them to keep my data safe from prying eyes.

I have a large music library and living in Canada we don't really have any good cloud music services yet, let alone affordable data plans.  What I think SD cards are awesome for is swapping between devices like phone and tablet or even laptop.  In terms of batteries, for the time being I will stick with removable ones.  Not all batteries are created equal and phones leave the factory with batteries that will not last for the period of time required by the consumer.  Most phones will have to be thrown out and replaced because the battery cannot be removed, even by the manufacturer.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

For me, it is simple "how can I get a phone that has enough storage without paying out of the wazoo?". An the answer is: get one with an SD card slot, that I can use my 32GB micro sd card in.

Local storage >>>>>>> cloud storage. Especially as I don't trust them to keep my data safe from prying eyes.

Then you attacked the wrong part of my argument. Actually, if you look at what I wrote, you'll see that I don't really disagree with what you either.

Then you attacked the wrong part of my argument. Actually, if you look at what I wrote, you'll see that I don't really disagree with what you either.

I wasn't arguing about which aspect of the argument for SD cards drops away though. Merely commenting on what I see is the reason to get a phone with expandable storage. I don't care about "ease of accessing the storage" because I just plug it in and it works, I don't think anybody uses a microSD to SD adapter, and then an SD to USB adapter to put music on their phone.

Anand Lal Shimpi and Brian Klug of Anandtech have written a very interesting article about the advantages and disadvantages of removable storage and batteries in phones. 

So, their basic argument is that removable batteries and SD card expansion in phones are simply not needed if internal optimizations are made and if companies put larger amounts of storage stock in their phones. I'm with Anandtech on the battery issue, but I like using SD cards. Cloud storage isn't an option, especially in this age of tiered data plans that cost an arm, leg, eyeball, and liver. 

Thus, the two don't penalize phones for not having removable batteries and storage in their reviews. 

What's your opinion? 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7543/a-post-about-removable-storage-removable-batteries-and-smartphones

P.S. Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section. But based on the source, I feel that it belongs here. 

In the North American market, cloud storage is nothing more then a carrier scam thanks to data pricing and plan structures.