Installing Ubuntu on a 500 GB Samsung 960 EVO

Go to solution Solved by SCHISCHKA,

Yes make a 512mb Efi partition

You prob don't need swap. You can add one later as a swap file if needed.

i always use manual partitioning 

To extend life of ssd put /var on hdd. It only needs 5gb. /var is variable data like logs.

the / system should be 20gb

/home can be on a seperate partition to fill rest of drive. It's good to put /home on its own because you can re-install the os and keep your data.

Hello everyone! I'm trying to understand the best way to install Ubuntu on a brand new Samsung 960 EVO SSD with 500 GB of total capacity. I also have a 1 TB Barracuda (7200 RPM). The first option that I had was to install Ubuntu the easy way (not manual partitioning) and save all my files into the SSD and use the HDD as a backup drive. Then I read that leaving free space on the SSD would contribute to a longer lifespan. After that I also noticed that it was not necessary to save all my music, videos and documents on the SSD and maybe leave some space unallocated also. I decided to do manual partitioning instead but I have 3 questions.

1. The disk has never been used. Do I need to create an EFI partition? (I'm installing on UEFI mode)
2. Do I need to create a swap partition? (My system has 32 GB RAM and I never hibernate it). 
3. Final and most important question. What is better?: 1. Using the installation wizard to mount all /home on the HDD and not the SSD (meaning that all config files will be on the HDD) to save space in the SSD (creating a 250 GB for / on the SSD and leaving the rest unallocated) or 2. From the installation wizard install all the system (/) including /home on a 250 GB partition on the SSD and then mount the HDD (using fstab) permanently and automatically at startup on /media/hdd/ (for example) and the change only the Downloads, Music, Videos and Documents (maybe other folders) path editing ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs to the HDD leaving ALL config files on the SSD for a faster access and big files on the HDD. 

Thank you very much for your help.

To extend life of ssd put /var on hdd. It only needs 5gb. /var is variable data like logs.

/home can be on a seperate partition to fill rest of drive. It's good to put /home on its own because you can re-install the os and keep your data.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

That's a good idea, thank you!