I need help choosing a keyboard

Ricardo56

So I was looking for a keyboard with white lighting and I think I narrowed it down to two keyboards but maybe the store I'm buying from is pretty limited in terms of variety.

I'm used to the CM Devastator (No idea what switches it uses) and so these are my two options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Keyboards-Mice-Input-Devices/Strike-Backlit-Cherry-Mechanical-Keyboard/B00I9VRQ54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499301332&sr=8-1&keywords=Ozone+Strike+Pro+MX+Red

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-MasterKeys-Mem-Chanical-SGB-3040-KKMF1-UK/dp/B01LZJ02KT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499301264&sr=8-1&keywords=Cooler+Master+MasterKeys+Lite+L

DO KEEP IN MIND I'M OPEN TO MORE SUGGESTIONS :D 

The Devastator is a membrane keyboard. Its not too bad and i was using one until 2-3 months ago!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Just now, Jrock said:

The Devastator is a membrane keyboard. Its not too bad and i was using one until 2-3 months ago!

I know it's pretty good but I really want a keyboard with white lighting (for a black and white setup) :P

Just now, Ricardo56 said:

I know it's pretty good but I really want a keyboard with white lighting (for a black and white setup) :P

Ahh.

Im not very good with keyboards just thought maybe someone in 4 months sees this post and goes "Oh at x/$ for that i guess it's a good deal"

:)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

I love my Corsair K65 and actually have it programmed with a red/white shimmer. I'd buy one again except I'd try MX Brown switches.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

If you wanna invest in a keyboard for gaming, definitely pay a little bit extra for a mechanical keyboard. Membranes feel too mushy, and it's impossible to get a good feel for when they actuate, sometimes you'll mispress a key and be unable to tell if the key was properly sent, and other times if you type too quickly the keyboard seems to miss a couple of letters for no reason.

If I had to buy a keyboard right now on an unlimited budget, I'd probably go with the Corsair K95 RGB. I'm a really big fan of Razers, but after owning my Razer Blackwidow for over a year, I can honestly say that I've lost my faith in all Razer keyboard products - They make their own knockoff switches which are produced in china, and while they still function well I can definitely feel a difference in quality.

If you're looking in the ballpark of 70 Euros, the Corsair K65 is a really solid keyboard, as well as the Logitech G610, both with customization lighting that suits your needs and is parked in that general price range.

Current Rig:

Spoiler

CPU i5 11600k @4.7ghtz Cooler Noctua NHD15 | RAM 32gb @3200mhz Kingston HyperX Fury | Mobo Gigabyte z590 Aorus Elite AX | GPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080  | PSU Corsair RM750I | Tower Fractal Define C | Peripherals Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red Keyboard, Logitech G502 Hero Mouse, Sennheiser 6xx Headphones, Beyerdynamics DT990-250 Headphones, Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless Earbuds, Blue Yeti Mic, Rhode PSA boom arm, Objective2 SDAC/ODAC

1 minute ago, Raintech said:

If you're looking in the ballpark of 70 Euros, the Corsair K65 is a really solid keyboard, as well as the Logitech G610, both with customization lighting that suits your needs and is parked in that general price range.

Interesting. Are there various versions for like mx red, blue, etc switches? :)

1 minute ago, Ricardo56 said:

Interesting. Are there various versions for like mx red, blue, etc switches? :)

Yep, Cherry MX switches come in different types, for example some are clicky, and some aren't. Some have a tactile actuation point in the middle, and others don't.
The Techquickie video that linus made on this subject is pretty relevant here, albeit a bit old now. It has a new "Part 2" that luke made so you can check that out after too.

Some of the common types found in gaming keyboards are the

Blue: Clicky+ tactile bump

Red: No click, no bump

Brown: No click, Has tactile bump.

The blues are extremely loud when typing, i used to drive my housemates mad with it and was forced to replace my keyboard later on. Some people like the tactile bump, others don't.
There's other types like the Black, and cherry released some new Silver ones not too long ago - Not too sure how these are different, but i can definitely recommend the reds, blues and browns for gaming. 

Current Rig:

Spoiler

CPU i5 11600k @4.7ghtz Cooler Noctua NHD15 | RAM 32gb @3200mhz Kingston HyperX Fury | Mobo Gigabyte z590 Aorus Elite AX | GPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080  | PSU Corsair RM750I | Tower Fractal Define C | Peripherals Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red Keyboard, Logitech G502 Hero Mouse, Sennheiser 6xx Headphones, Beyerdynamics DT990-250 Headphones, Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless Earbuds, Blue Yeti Mic, Rhode PSA boom arm, Objective2 SDAC/ODAC

1 minute ago, Raintech said:

Yep, Cherry MX switches come in different types, for example some are clicky, and some aren't. Some have a tactile actuation point in the middle, and others don't.
The Techquickie video that linus made on this subject is pretty relevant here, albeit a bit old now. It has a new "Part 2" that luke made so you can check that out after too.

Some of the common types found in gaming keyboards are the

Blue: Clicky+ tactile bump

Red: No click, no bump

Brown: No click, Has tactile bump.

The blues are extremely loud when typing, i used to drive my housemates mad with it and was forced to replace my keyboard later on. Some people like the tactile bump, others don't.
There's other types like the Black, and cherry released some new Silver ones not too long ago - Not too sure how these are different, but i can definitely recommend the reds, blues and browns for gaming. 

I was asking if the keyboards came in different versions, sorry you had to go through all that writing :\

I was asking if the keyboards came in different versions, sorry you had to go through all that writing :\

Yeah, the keyboards all come in different switches - The difference is for example, the Corsair K70 (same as the K65, except it has a numpad on the right hand side) comes in red switch, blue switch, and brown switch. The difference is what version of the Cherry MX switch they use.

Current Rig:

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Raintech said:

https://www.kuantokusta.pt/informatica/Perifericos/Teclados-e-Packs/Corsair-Keyboard-Strafe-RGB-LED-Mecanico-MX-Red-PT-p-1-454980

https://www.kuantokusta.pt/informatica/Perifericos/Teclados-e-Packs/Logitech-G610-Orion-RGB-Mechanical-Illuminated-Brown-ES-920-007868-p-1-457852

Don't you just love it when every single piece of technology costs too much in your country compared to others

19 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Don't you just love it when every single piece of technology costs too much in your country compared to others

I know that both the K65 and Corsair Strafe are cheaper versions of the K70 - the K65 cuts off the numpad, but I'm not sure about the Strafe - I've heard good things about it too though.
Logitech also makes another mechanical version called the G410, it's also got mechanical switches and back lighting, and should be cheaper. 

Perhaps you can check out the Razer Blackwidow, which is the one I'm using right now. Although its not my first recommendation, it's still probably my 3rd or 4th best pick. It has cheaper versions as well, with my chroma being a bit more expensive than the others, but they're all basically the same just with less lighting options or different type of switches.

Edit: unfortunately, the less expensive versions of the corsair/logitech keyboards start losing RGB capabilities, and they mostly come in either red or blue lights only >.>

Current Rig:

Spoiler

Just now, Raintech said:

I know that both the K65 and Corsair Strafe are cheaper versions of the K70 - the K65 cuts off the numpad, but I'm not sure about the Strafe - I've heard good things about it too though.
Logitech also makes another mechanical version called the G410, it's also got mechanical switches and back lighting, and should be cheaper. 

Perhaps you can check out the Razer Blackwidow, which is the one I'm using right now. Although its not my first recommendation, it's still probably my 3rd or 4th best pick. It has cheaper versions as well, with my chroma being a bit more expensive than the others, but they're all basically the same just with less lighting options or different type of switches.

I don't know about Razer, I just think they're so overrated, overpriced and like... the Apple of PC tech? The irony is I do use a iPhone but that's beside the point :P 

I don't know about Razer, I just think they're so overrated, overpriced and like... the Apple of PC tech? The irony is I do use a iPhone but that's beside the point :P 

Hahah, I do agree. It's overpriced but smartly packaged to look really good. When you unbox a razer item the box just looks heavenly and makes you think you bought an awesome item. Then you use it, and it's really just all plasticy-and cheap.

They used to be the gods of gaming peripherals a while back, but I guess people have started realizing how cheap the parts they use are. It's definitely like apple, in the sense you pay double for the name of the brand, but the product isn't necessarily worth it. They're definitely losing their reputation recently though, a good example being those keyboards with made-in-china switches.

Current Rig:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Raintech said:

Hahah, I do agree. It's overpriced but smartly packaged to look really good. When you unbox a razer item the box just looks heavenly and makes you think you bought an awesome item. Then you use it, and it's really just all plasticy-and cheap.

They used to be the gods of gaming peripherals a while back, but I guess people have started realizing how cheap the parts they use are. It's definitely like apple, in the sense you pay double for the name of the brand, but the product isn't necessarily worth it. They're definitely losing their reputation recently though, a good example being those keyboards with made-in-china switches.

I mean at least Apple has iOS to distinguish them from android, you can't really go too creative as far as keyboards are concerned :P

Also I've been looking around, do you think the steelseries 6G v2 is a good choice? Not sure if black switches is what someone who's going from membrane to mechanical should pick (they are kind of like browns so i dunno) :D

2 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

I mean at least Apple has iOS to distinguish them from android, you can't really go too creative as far as keyboards are concerned :P

Also I've been looking around, do you think the steelseries 6G v2 is a good choice? Not sure if black switches is what someone who's going from membrane to mechanical should pick (they are kind of like browns so i dunno) :D

i am aware it's not backlit btw

4 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Also I've been looking around, do you think the steelseries 6G v2 is a good choice? Not sure if black switches is what someone who's going from membrane to mechanical should pick

If you're looking for an upgrade from a normal rubber dome, office keyboard, this looks like the same layout so it should be easy to adjust in that regard. Same layout, just higher quality, better feeling switches. Thumbs up from me.

The MX blacks are exactly like the MX reds - No click, and bump, except it's a little bit heavier. You need to press a little harder than the MX reds. Depends on your typing/pressing styles to be honest. I've used blacks before, i can notice it when I'm typing but when i'm gaming and just mashing buttons, or holding down WASD it doesn't make a huge difference.
You might get sore fingers after gaming for long hours at first, but after a few weeks you'll probably adapt. That happenned when i first upgraded to a mechanical too, but i was gaming for 10+ hours sometimes (with breaks, of course)

Current Rig:

Spoiler