Will delid affect GPU temps?

TomR

I have a 7700k cooled by an AIO that is setup to pull cool air from outside, thru the AIO radiator, and exhausts the back of the case. My CPU hits about 70C and my GPU 80C while gaming. I'm wondering if I delid the CPU will it make any noticeable decrease in my GPU temps?

No.

What makes you think it would?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Uhh not it's two intire different things

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Delidding your CPU will only lower its temps, not other parts.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

No.

What makes you think it would?

The CPU radiator is exhausting warm air into the case (which is then blown around by the GPU). If the CPU temperature is decreased then the air exhausting into the case should be cooler. I'm just wondering if it's a difference that I'd notice.

Technically it could increase temps in some cases, as if the CPU runs cooler, the case fans won't work as hard to exhaust... you guessed it. GPU air.

2 minutes ago, TomR said:

The CPU radiator is exhausting warm air into the case (which is then blown around by the GPU). If the CPU temperature is decreased then the air exhausting into the case should be cooler. I'm just wondering if it's a difference that I'd notice.

If you want to reduce the temps just have your fans blowing the hot air out of the case instead of into it. That would reduce the temps a lot more than delidding your cpu.

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Technically it could increase temps in some cases, as if the CPU runs cooler, the case fans won't work as hard

I keep my fans set on an aggressive preset.

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Technically it could increase temps in some cases, as if the CPU runs cooler, the case fans won't work as hard

thats true but cant he then just use something like speedfan to change the fan speed according to the gpu

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

17 minutes ago, TomR said:

No, try to think of it this way: regardless of the cooler, your CPU is still using (and therefore releasing as heat) the same amount of energy. So it'll still be putting out the same heat. Actually, it'd probably be the opposite effect that you think, since the delid makes the heat transfer more efficient. Meaning more thermal energy is going to the cooler (and therefore the air), and less stays in the CPU making it heat up. Which means the air would be warmer. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

you're pulling air from outside, through your rad and into your case and wondering why your gpu is hot?

you'd do a lot better blowing the hot air outside.

that by itself will probably drop 10 degrees. delidding isnt worth it when your setup is completely backwards

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

4 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

you're pulling air from outside, through your rad and into your case and wondering why your gpu is hot?

you'd do a lot better blowing the hot air outside.

that by itself will probably drop 10 degrees. delidding isnt worth it when your setup is completely backwards

The opposite would result in too high of CPU temps. According to most of the community I have the proper setup.

What GPU do you have? 

If you can, try mounting the radiator at the top of the case.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

33 minutes ago, TomR said:

You'd probably make it hotter, I know my water temps went up a few degrees after delidding my i7 7700K, get more fans or run them higher, or get custom water cooling if the temps are that bad. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

What GPU do you have? 

If you can, try mounting the radiator at the top of the case.

1070 in a S340 Elite

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

You'd probably make it hotter, I know my water temps went up a few degrees after delidding my i7 7700K, get more fans or run them higher, or get custom water cooling if the temps are that bad. 

Thank you. This single comment provided me with more information to my question than the entire rest of the comments in this thread lol

Just now, TomR said:

The opposite would result in too high of CPU temps. According to most of the community I have the proper setup.

That depends, are these the only fans in your entire system besides the gpu? 

1 minute ago, TomR said:

Thank you. This single comment provided me with more information to my question than the entire rest of the comments in this thread lol

EKBW now have something called their "Fluid Gaming" kit, it's made from Aluminium, and once you use just the parts included will be OK, and will cool the GPU and CPU you have very well, it's 239 USD and well worth it if you don't want to spend almost double that on a full custom copper loop. A couple other people also commented something similar but they didn't spell it out as clear I think. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, TomR said:

thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard.

you're literally blowing hot air into your case. you want to exhaust the hot air OUT of the case, not into it.

if you use a normal setup, it exhausts the hot air into the room, slowly raising the ambient temperture of the room. which will decrease cooling performance over time.

however, if you exhaust the hot air outside, then it wont increase ambient temps, and it will continue cooling with good temps.

but pulling air from outside and blowing it into your case, especially if its warm outside is just dumb.

itll not only increase ambient temps of the room, but increase heat in your case, raising the temps of your gpu, ram, and motherboard causes decreased performance across the board.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

4 minutes ago, TomR said:

1070 in a S340 Elite

Is it a Founders card? EVGA? ASUS? Gigabyte?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

ok please post a pic of your computer, Fans on flat out and Temps that high just doesn't make sense. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

you're literally blowing hot air into your case. you want to exhaust the hot air OUT of the case, not into it.

if you use a normal setup, it exhausts the hot air into the room, slowly raising the ambient temperture of the room. which will decrease cooling performance over time.

however, if you exhaust the hot air outside, then it wont increase ambient temps, and it will continue cooling with good temps.

but pulling air from outside and blowing it into your case, especially if its warm outside is just dumb.

itll not only increase ambient temps of the room, but increase heat in your case, raising the temps of your gpu, ram, and motherboard causes decreased performance across the board.

If you read my post I clearly said I have cool air being drawn in from outside the case, and warm exhausting out the back of the case.

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

ok please post a pic of your computer, Fans on flat out and Temps that high just doesn't make sense. 

its cuz hes pulling hot air from outside and blowing it into his system....

|Specs in profile|

4 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

Did you seriously think I meant "outside" -as in from outside the house?...

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

its cuz hes pulling hot air from outside and blowing it into his system....

I lol'd