mining etherium with sli 980tis

hey guys so just watched jokers video 

and it looks pretty easy to set up i wont have it running all of the time but i was thinking of leaving it running over night and when im not at home to make some extra money, do you think it will just lead to a quick death for both of my cards or a complete waste of time ?

looks like easy money that i can just put back into computer stuff, ei 8 hours a night and if my cards last for another 2 years that should be enoough money earnt though this for a free gpu right ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

First question: Do you (or your parents, if you live with them) pay for electricity?

Second question, assuming question one was yes: How much does it cost?

GPU mining isn't free money. You have to take cost of electricity into account. With that in mind, if you already own the GPU's, and your electricity costs aren't too crazy, mining can be somewhat profitable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

First question: Do you (or your parents, if you live with them) pay for electricity?

Second question, assuming question one was yes: How much does it cost?

GPU mining isn't free money. You have to take cost of electricity into account. With that in mind, if you already own the GPU's, and your electricity costs aren't too crazy, mining can be somewhat profitable.

Though you better have cheap power to run a 2x 980 Ti all night. They draw a lot of power, AFAIK. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Though you better have cheap power to run a 2x 980 Ti all night. They draw a lot of power, AFAIK. 

Depends on how high he OC's them, but yes, 2x 980 Ti's mining will probably be drawing 600+ Watts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Noobs can use Nicehash for auto algorithm switching. People using Nvidia cards shouldn't mine Ethereum it suits AMD cards far better. If you don't want an easy option like Nicehash then mine Zcash (ZEC) directly as it likes CUDA. Bear in mind the average per kWh charge in the UK is near double the US -.- For me its $0.18/kWh

Also Pascal/Polaris cards are popular because they are much more energy efficient than previous architectures.

EDIT: So far that is Linus, Austin, Bryan (Tech Yes City), HWB and Joker jumping on the crypto currency bandwagon. All in the last week. Strap in folks because the GPU shortage is only gonna get worse now the exposure has exploded.

Edited by tom_w141

I'd also have to advise against using the 980 Ti. It's powerful, but it uses quite a lot of power to do so.

I don't think you'd see any damage at all as long as temps are in check. I rendered for days on end using Vray on my 980 Ti, it's still alive, overclocked as well to 1.5 GHz.

I'd say try to get the pascal cards (If you can even find any at a decent price). I'm actually trying to sell off my two 1070s to some one on ebay so I can change them out for 1080s for faster rendering times.

Not really worth it, 980 Tis draw a crap ton of power so you won't make a lot of money. :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Two 980Ti cards right now can bring you about $5 to $6 per day mining zcash with NiceHash if you mine 24/7. I monitored power draw and each card pulls about 250 watts under full load while mining so you're looking at 500 watts/hour. Determine the cost of electricity per kilowatt/hour and then you'll see how much profit you'll make (if any)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

For those who are saying not to do it on a 980Ti due to power, have you actually looked at the math or just making it up as you go along?

980Ti is rated at 250W TDP. You can use that to work out your estimated energy costs. I'm charged equivalent to US$0.13 per kWh, so running 250W for a day costs $0.78. If the return from the 980Ti is greater than that, you're in profit. Based on software monitoring, my cards run below 100% TDP while mining.

If you go through nicehash, they're currently indicating an estimated payout just under $3 a day for a 980Ti. Subtract electricity costs and you've got just over $2 a day profit. Nicehash will switch mining to whatever is more profitable at the time so you're not limited to etherium. For nvidia cards, you'll more likely find it doing zcash. Regardless of what you mine, they pay out in bitcoin.

Now there are further refinements to this. The actual power consumption may not be the rated TDP. If the cards are over-volted, removing that will often lead to a good reduction in power. The system power would also need to be factored in. Also factor in the performance of a given card may differ from the example from nicehash calculator. You can download the client and it will do a benchmark and give you values for your card.

As a further caution, the power above only applies to the power directly taken by the card or system. If you're using air conditioning where the system is running, that will have to remove more heat and the electricity cost will go up more.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible