Couple of questions about Cherry MX Blue switches?

As I am a membrabe KB user I have a couple of doubts about cherry MX blue switches.

In FPS games like Team Fortress 2 and CS: GO ( which I play the most).

1. Can you just hold down the W key to continuously move forward without lifting the key as in a membrane keyboard. Or I have to continuously tap on it lifting it all the way up all the time to reset the keystroke?

2. Can I use two keys simultaneously like W+D to move right in a curved manner. Or it will register any one key at a time?

1.) You can hold the W and you will move as long as you hold it. If you want to stop and immediately move forward again you have to lift it and then press again.

2.) Yes, you can.

1. yes.

2. yes.

Games can see when you are holding down a key and walking is also triggered by holding it down. Shooting a gun needs repeated taps for example, walking doesn't.

And any quality keyboard will be able to hold down 5 or even more keys.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

1. yes.

2. yes.

Games can see when you are holding down a key and walking is also triggered by holding it down. Shooting a gun needs repeated taps for example, walking doesn't.

And any quality keyboard will be able to hold down 5 or even more keys.

Thanks

Regarding multiple key presses, this depends on the keyboard manufacturer more than the switch itself. The switches are merely the hardware in the keyboard. The issue of pressing too many keys is called "Ghosting" where some of the keys aren't sent to the computer properly, and this has more to do with the Keyboard connector, onboard wiring and possibly drivers.
Considering that most mainsteam mechanical kb's are manufactured for gaming, any decent gaming company understands the issue of ghosting and has failsafes in play for this. Razer for example offers a guaranteed "0-ghosting" feature on specifically their WASD keys, as they know these are the keys most often pressed. I'd say most modern gaming keyboards can also support around 5 simultaneous key presses without ghosting, which is more than you'd ever need in day to day gaming. It should state somewhere in the product features of the kb you wish to purchase.

The Cherry MX blues have a very very noticeable activation point, when you start pressing the key, the top part is extremely smooth, with not much resistance. When you depress far enough to get to the actuation point, it's really noticeable, and you can feel some extra resistance, and it makes a loud "CLICK" once you pass the actuation point.

In general, all mechanical keyboards and membrane keyboards (this excludes some laser keyboards which can measure how far down the key is pressed) act the exact same as each other in terms of how they function, keys are pressed as a yes/no statement, and holding down a key works exactly the same regardless of what key switches are used.

Believe me though, first thing to keep in mind about MX blues is they're LOUD! If you don't mind it, and your possible housemates don't mind it, then they are a great switch as you can both feel and hear your key presses for gaming. Cherry reds are an alternative if you might want to consider more quiet keys for gaming. I'd advise staying away from Razer keyboard products as they use Made-In-China knock-off switches, and buying my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate is one of the biggest mistakes I regret in my gaming rig. They advertise their "Razer switches" as superior, but they're exactly what you can expect from copied switches that are manufactured in china, whereas real Cherry switches are manufactured in Germany.

Current Rig:

Spoiler

CPU i5 11600k @4.7ghtz Cooler Noctua NHD15 | RAM 32gb @3200mhz Kingston HyperX Fury | Mobo Gigabyte z590 Aorus Elite AX | GPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX1080  | PSU Corsair RM750I | Tower Fractal Define C | Peripherals Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red Keyboard, Logitech G502 Hero Mouse, Sennheiser 6xx Headphones, Beyerdynamics DT990-250 Headphones, Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless Earbuds, Blue Yeti Mic, Rhode PSA boom arm, Objective2 SDAC/ODAC

28 minutes ago, Raintech said:

-snip-

Thanks for your answer.

1 hour ago, 4klips said:

As I am a membrabe KB user I have a couple of doubts about cherry MX blue switches.

In FPS games like Team Fortress 2 and CS: GO ( which I play the most).

1. Can you just hold down the W key to continuously move forward without lifting the key as in a membrane keyboard. Or I have to continuously tap on it lifting it all the way up all the time to reset the keystroke?

2. Can I use two keys simultaneously like W+D to move right in a curved manner. Or it will register any one key at a time?

Both answers are yes, that is the case with pretty much any keyboard.

Whether key inputs are repeated when held down or just single, you can control that through Windows, but all keyboards by default will have it.

You can register multiple keys at a time. If the keyboard has "6 key rollover" that means you can input up to 6 keys simultaneously. If it has "N key rollover" you can input unlimited keys simultaneously.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

1 hour ago, Raintech said:

Believe me though, first thing to keep in mind about MX blues is they're LOUD! If you don't mind it, and your possible housemates don't mind it, then they are a great switch as you can both feel and hear your key presses for gaming. Cherry reds are an alternative if you might want to consider more quiet keys for gaming. I'd advise staying away from Razer keyboard products as they use Made-In-China knock-off switches, and buying my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate is one of the biggest mistakes I regret in my gaming rig. They advertise their "Razer switches" as superior, but they're exactly what you can expect from copied switches that are manufactured in china, whereas real Cherry switches are manufactured in Germany.

just want to echo this about the noise.

I love my MX Blue Coolermaster board, it's absolutely brilliant, but I'm moving into a shared house in a few days so I've had to buy another keyboard, MX Brown which doesn't have a click to it. Which is annoying and means I've had to buy two keyboards just to keep the noise down. It's simply not possible to use a MX Blue keyboard and not have other people in your house get annoyed.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz