Any way to change a VM's IP adress without a VPN?

Hey i want to change the IP address of my Virtual machine but i'm a total newbie to this stuff.

My problem is that most VPN services like Tunnelbear slow down my connection by alot or to unusable speeds.

I'm using Oracle  VM Virtualbox if that matters.

I live in Europe>Hungary so that might be the problem? Not sure. Haven't used much VPN's before.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Public or private IP?

If you want to change public you need a vpn or more static IP's from your isp.

What are you trying to do.

What VPN services would you recommend?

As to what i'm trying to do is just want more protection and privacy in general.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want to change public you need a vpn or more static IP's from your isp.

this. and with the "total abundance" of IPv4 addresses we have (every time i mention we ran out of those years ago someone comres in ranting to no end..) i doubt your ISP will be very eager to give you one.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

As to what i'm trying to do is just want more protection and privacy in general.

if you're willing to pay a slice per month, you could look into a cheap VPS somewhere like OVH or online.net to "make your own VPN" so to say. although that just moves the "potential speed issues" from one "supplier" to another, with that stating that most VPN providers that have both free and paid packages, tend to favour the traffic of paying customers over that of free ones.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

this. and with the "total abundance" of IPv4 addresses we have (every time i mention we ran out of those years ago someone comres in ranting to no end..) i doubt your ISP will be very eager to give you one.

there aren't many v4's in the pool for homes and small buinesses, but there are still lots of unued ones out there by people like hp, apple, mit, us gov and others. All of those have a /8 block. Places like apple aren't even running nat on their networks.

7 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

What are you trying to protect yourself from, a vpn often won't really help. This only thing its hiding your data from is your isp, the service your using still knows all about you.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

there aren't many v4's in the pool for homes and small buinesses, but there are still lots of unued ones out there by people like hp, apple, mit, us gov and others. All of those have a /8 block. Places like apple aren't even running nat on their networks.

well, my ISP has, a few years back, started to allocate a class C subnet, if that's a good example of how short on available subnets we are.

as for the places with /8 blocks.. eh.. cant really take it from them unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, my ISP has, a few years back, started to allocate a class C subnet, if that's a good example of how short on available subnets we are.

as for the places with /8 blocks.. eh.. cant really take it from them unfortunately.

just gonna wait for v6... thats gonna take a while. Pretty soon blocks will all be on the save v4

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

just gonna wait for v6... thats gonna take a while. Pretty soon blocks will all be on the save v4

my ISP was one of the first worldwide to go full dual-stack, they've been waiting very patiently ever since, appareantly places like the US military being the biggest issue in a move towards IPv6

VPNs are SLOW, thats my VPN mantra. if you want to hide your IP via a VPN you will see major performance degradation because of the additional overhead of the VPN. It's why I never use one, and probably never will. I just don't like the idea of getting 1/10th my internet speed for the sake of privacy, that I probably am not going to get anyway.

I WANT TO LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT!

If I'm wrong, please make me look like an idiot so everyone can learn from my wrongness. 

2 hours ago, GW2 said:

VPNs are SLOW, thats my VPN mantra. if you want to hide your IP via a VPN you will see major performance degradation because of the additional overhead of the VPN. It's why I never use one, and probably never will. I just don't like the idea of getting 1/10th my internet speed for the sake of privacy, that I probably am not going to get anyway.

This is false. VPN speeds depend completely on the specific VPN and their network stack and routing, especially back to your ISP. 

I used to host a VPN on my 100Mbit server colocated in a DC in my city (about 10km from my ISP), and for my 70Mbit home connection, there was no performance hit.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

6 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

This is false. VPN speeds depend completely on the specific VPN and their network stack and routing, especially back to your ISP. 

I used to host a VPN on my 100Mbit server colocated in a DC in my city (about 10km from my ISP), and for my 70Mbit home connection, there was no performance hit.

Can I ask what VPN software you were using. I've tried many paid VPNs and even run VPNs at many of our client sites, but they are always horribly slow and the clients often have synchronous gigabit fibre. 

If I'm wrong, please make me look like an idiot so everyone can learn from my wrongness. 

It was a few years ago now, I believe it was openvpn udp for the server, and I also used to just use it as a socks proxy. Running on my old dual xeon e5530 with 24gb ram server. It was about 4-5 hops and 1-2ms away so like I said routing and network can be a big factor as well 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

16 hours ago, Jarsky said:

It was a few years ago now, I believe it was openvpn udp for the server, and I also used to just use it as a socks proxy. Running on my old dual xeon e5530 with 24gb ram server. It was about 4-5 hops and 1-2ms away so like I said routing and network can be a big factor as well 

Ours are all running on similar hardware i'll have to do some tracerts and see how many hops. there may be nothing I can do, but I'm definitely gonna try. Thanks for the input.