What do I need to know

HunterSkater429

So after years of failed programming and making shitty python games I have an idea for a game I really want to make.

What launagne woukdni need to learn and what game engine suite me best. (,No RPG maker)

I want a 2d pixel style open world game

Basis is to make money and only want to lose isn't go -$500

It's going to be based on a person life so his day to day routine. So I'll need random events and random npcs that walk around.

I want a mini game type thing too. Like press the right buttons in order or hold left click type stuff.

A fast travel type system so go to work to home to downtown etc..

What lanuagne(s) and engine would be good for that?

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Are you targeting desktop, console, or some mobile operating system.

IMO, python would be fine for the job.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Are you targeting desktop, console, or some mobile operating system.

IMO, python would be fine for the job.

Desktop

Try out unity, it supports scripting in c# or JavaScript

Heard C# with The Unity Engine were good for desktop game development.  Alternatively, you could write an engine but in all honesty it would be easier just to use Unity.  There are some great free courses on C# and Unity.  There are also Slacks, Discords and Forums that have great people who are good at C#, so go around and find some of these sites and meet and chat with people who are good at C#.  

You could also write it in Javascript, but my advice would be C#.  It's way more structural and organized I find, Javacript lets me do too many dumb things.  Hope this helps, you need to find out this stuff on your own for the most part by testing out and experimenting.  If you don't have a knack for programming then don't rush. You should find something else to make money. 

I was chatting the other day to my mate who is 17 and has made a social media marketing business which is pretty decent all on his own.  If he can do it, you can do it.  Just work hard and put the effort in and you'll get far.  Good luck. 

Pick a game development suite and use it. People have said Unity, there's also Unreal Engine that uses its own thing, and Game Maker I believe uses a modified version of EMCAScript which is what JavaScript is based off of.

Unless you're really looking to bash your head against your desk for the next few years, you usually don't build things from scratch :3

Lisp is pretty good for that; otherwise, +1 for the Unreal engine (C++).

Write in C.

9 hours ago, HunterSkater429 said:

It's going to be based on a person life so his day to day routine. So I'll need random events and random npcs that walk around.

So The Sims then?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

7 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

So The Sims then?

Nah not close 

11 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

Nah not close 

Oh really...

Well then, you'll likely be in need of this.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.