X299 MoBo help.... and GPU (1080 ti)

Ok my first time posting on LTT

so I've come into some money, and want to do a corsair, x299, 1080TI, 7900k build... I won't bother listing parts other than that I want to put in 64gigs or DDR4, corsair vengeance RGB and a Corsair - H100i v2 (Too bad Corsair doesn't make a 360 rad)

So I'm looking for some recommendations for a great Motherrboard and GPU

(preferably same manufacturer for RGB config.)

so I want at least one m.2 slot (optane for a 8 or 10TB HDD) may upgrade to an Nvme SSD 

Im looking to overclock the CPU (7900X) to 4.0ghz min....

If you want to take a look at my PC part picker

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x9gMHN

and yes I understand that the 

ryzen or wait for threadripper.

what games are you playing

optane is stupid if you have ANY ssd

what resolution do you want to play at?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

ryzen or wait for threadripper.

what games are you playing

optane is stupid if you have ANY ssd

what resolution do you want to play at?

X299.... I'm team blue... and green... 

Triple A titles and 1080p or 4K 

2 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

X299.... I'm team blue... and green... 

Triple A titles and 1080p or 4K 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So what exactly are you planning to use this build for?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Well that's nice that you think that but it's my build....

7900k is only $999 - what threadripper is rumored to be 

also 

7900k isn't kaby lake x

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

So what exactly are you planning to use this build for?

Gaming and streaming just kind of an enthusiast build

i dont know what you are trying to do (Trolling prob with that 6 post and nick name) but

Going for X299 getting - 7900x cpu - 64gb ram - gtx 1080ti and going for optane is kind of silly.

go watch der8auer Video currently if you dont mode all motherboards for x299 is not good for overclocking.

if you want to spend your money on the best go with x99 build for now or build the best Ryzen build with double 1080ti with the price difference of x299 or wait for threadripper platform.

good luck spending money on air.

45 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

Ok my first time posting on LTT

so I've come into some money, and want to do a corsair, x299, 1080TI, 7900k build... I won't bother listing parts other than that I want to put in 64gigs or DDR4, corsair vengeance RGB and a Corsair - H100i v2 (Too bad Corsair doesn't make a 360 rad)

So I'm looking for some recommendations for a great Motherrboard and GPU

(preferably same manufacturer for RGB config.)

so I want at least one m.2 slot (optane for a 8 or 10TB HDD) may upgrade to an Nvme SSD 

Im looking to overclock the CPU (7900X) to 4.0ghz min....

If you want to take a look at my PC part picker

and yes I understand that the 

Do your research, No overclockies on that volcano X299 platform pal, youre better off just going for the normal 7700K and 1080 TI or a x99 build because you are Blue Green (No H8)

if you are really going to do this, make sure your mobo fits. the case only supports up to atx, but maybe if you push it a bit, e-atx will fit

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

17 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

Gaming and streaming just kind of an enthusiast build

Then your build makes close to zero sense. I believe that your decision to buy components by brand (for instance, all the Corsair products) isn't going to give any substantial benefit at all except hurt your wallet.

Why do you need a Hybrid drive? They make zero sense with the existence of HDDs and SSDs. Speaking of hard drives, why do you need a staggering 8TB? Intel Optane makes no sense as well as the 64GB of memory when 16GB is more than enough.

You can make a comparable build that performs roughly as well for significantly less if you don't let the fanboying get to you. That means better performance and better bang for your buck overall.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

30 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

i dont know what you are trying to do (Trolling prob with that 6 post and nick name) but

Going for X299 getting - 7900x cpu - 64gb ram - gtx 1080ti and going for optane is kind of silly.

go watch der8auer Video currently if you dont mode all motherboards for x299 is not good for overclocking.

if you want to spend your money on the best go with x99 build for now or build the best Ryzen build with double 1080ti with the price difference of x299 or wait for threadripper platform.

good luck spending money on air.

I can't justify spending $1500 on a 10core/20thread CPU when I can just wait a few days and get one for $999...I'm not interested in ryzen or threadripper

Ryzen won't beable to handle 7900x when it releases 

if I wanted to just be "OK" I'd just throw a 1080 TI in my current case (16gb ddr3 i7-4790K Devil's Canyon (overclocked to 4.2ghz) also I have a MSI gtx960 and upgraded to a larger SSD or even a Pcie SSD  and be done with it,....

But I want the new case and why not just build a whole new system... maybe use the other older 4790k as a streaming machine... want to play and stream at 1080p or 4K....  and that 4790k with the 960gtx and 16gb ram can't do that 

but the question I asked was what GPU and Motherboard do you recommend  for a nice corsair build

if you want fill in the blanks

39 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

Ryzen won't beable to handle 7900x when it releases

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-pre-release-sample-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X/m233971vs3916

and these are stock so when you oc 1800x you will get more since the moment you try to oc 7900x with current gen motherboards your psu and mobo will be a volcano...

Good luck

10 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-pre-release-sample-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X/m233971vs3916

and these are stock so when you oc 1800x you will get more since the moment you try to oc 7900x with current gen motherboards your psu and mobo will be a volcano...

Good luck

Volcano? Doubt full I hope when tread ripper comes out you can see this and if they release a 10 core model then that would be a better comparison but when I overclock the 7900k it will blow that ryzen card into the scrap pile like Vega 

we we will see price per proformance and but until then thanks for not suggesting a motherboard or a gpu

18 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

An 1800X barely budges with overclocking, and it is only all of the X299 motherboards that are currently available that have issues. In 3-12 months that 'minor' issue could be resolved if the motherboard manufacturers actually decide to care about the platform.

1 hour ago, StripperGrandpa said:

If you are set on going for X299 then don't get a 240mm rad cooler, you will need at least a 280mm. AIO cooler's aren't very good and have a pretty high failure rate it would be more sensible to do it properly and go full custom water cooling with a 420mm rad anyway, probably won't be a silly idea to get a motherboard that has CPU+VRM monoblock support.

Based on your request, the closest to what you want would be the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe, and the Asus Strix 1080 Ti. But you will want to water cool the motherboard's VRM and/or wait until a decent motherboard is released.

1 hour ago, StripperGrandpa said:

I can't justify spending $1500 on a 10core/20thread CPU when I can just wait a few days and get one for $999

If you are concerned about a measily $500, then you should not waste money on tacky overpriced Corsair bling.

25 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

Doubt full I hope when tread ripper comes out you can see this and if they release a 10 core model then that would be a better comparison but when I overclock the 7900k it will blow that ryzen card into the scrap pile like Vega

I gather you haven't heard anything at all about Threadripper. It is 2 Ryzen dies glued together, so will be clock limited to 3.8-4.0GHz, have rubbish AVX2 performance, and have even more infinity fabric pain to deal with. But it will be a powerful workstation processor. The 16 core Threadripper will be about 15% cheaper than the 7900X so it's performance and price to performance will be better than the 7900X in (non-AVX2) workstation tasks, which is it's intended market.

49 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

Volcano? Doubt full I hope when tread ripper comes out you can see this and if they release a 10 core model then that would be a better comparison but when I overclock the 7900k it will blow that ryzen card into the scrap pile like Vega 

we we will see price per proformance and but until then thanks for not suggesting a motherboard or a gpu

no need to be an intel - nvidia fanboy but if you come and ask ppls opinion on a new platform you will always get this kind of counter ideas. for mobo i told you no mobo you buy will be fine for you currently because of their shitty vrm cooling. for gpu you already told you want to buy 1080ti so vega is not out yet we cant compare the frontier version too but gaming versions price point we know nothing yet.

and for Intel 7900x its a rushed up cpu from xeon line up witch is not gonna be good for ocing.

for Amd threadripper is easy for them thanks to years of development all they need to do is ad another core and get easy 4-8-12-16-20 core thanks to infinity fabric technology and they learn from ryzen relase so they will be ready to rock again.

and good luck its your money. I had some money to so i bought r7 1700 amd Asus Crosshair hero board waiting to arrive - will sell my x99 system after a month of trying ryzen just to be safe but you never know.

If you intend to oc your 10 core, please purchase a custom loop kit from ek preferably 360mm rad. Or just a really good cpu cooler in general. Your average aio isn't gonna cut it.

And a high end mobo mobo with adequate vrm cooling. I suggest waiting for the apex or extreme since asus is taking a second look after Der8auer bashed the new deluxe board. 

Oh and don't forget your delid tool. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case