PowerEdge R710 for machine learning help

Hi what a first post on the forum, but I just recently was given 2 dell poweredge R710s with 48 gbs of ram each and no hard drives I'm currently using a program called knime on my desktop quad core with 8gbs of ram to do a research project for one of my classes in school which involves image classification. I was wondering is it possible to take a 250 gb ssd with windows 10 and just stick it in one of the power edges to take advantage of the processing power and if so how can I go about doing that because at the moment my quad core can not handle the load I'm putting on it. All help is appreciated :)

I'd get a hdd and put its own install on it. Windows home is limited to 1 cpu so you can't use half the compute power. Also what cpus do you have in the r710. They might not even be much faster than your desktop. 

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd get a hdd and put its own install on it. Windows home is limited to 1 cpu so you can't use half the compute power. Also what cpus do you have in the r710. They might not even be much faster than your desktop. 

I'm pretty sure they are the gen one boards and what if it's windows 10 pro

8 minutes ago, Davydabeast said:

I'm pretty sure they are the gen one boards and what if it's windows 10 pro

Win 10 pro will work fine. 

I'd really suggest just getting another hdd for the server. Sharing boot drives isn't a great idea. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Win 10 pro will work fine. 

I'd really suggest just getting another hdd for the server. Sharing boot drives isn't a great idea. 

Ok I just added another hdd how would I boot into the drive cause it's plugged in but I can't seem to boot into it?

Just now, Davydabeast said:

Ok I just added another hdd how would I boot into the drive cause it's plugged in but I can't seem to boot into it?

You need to install a os. Make a Bootable usb of windows with Rufus. 

Also if you have a raid card you need to setup a raid array to use the drive. 

Yup, likely you're going to have a perc controller one way or the other, and no matter which raid you chose you'll have to "initialize" which will wipe the disk. I can't remember if the board had any SATA ports or not, I assume at least one for the CD-ROM. I'd trace that and use the onboard SATA + hopefully it has a SATA power connector to use.

Use something line Clonezilla and make an image of your SSD, then stick it in the server and go crazy (format it etc..) then when done you can recover the image. Or convert it to VHD and run it as a vm lol.