Possible to exchange Intel stock coolers?

Jen89

I’d like to enquire about if Intel’s i3-6100 (LGA1151) stock cooler could be exchanged for i7-4790K (LGA1150) stock cooler for better cooling performance, and more precisely if they sockets would fit?

If you can't over clock your CPU then its really not worth it. all intel stock heatsinks are terrible, since they stopped using copper. If you want better cooling then I would suggest buying a cooler master 212 eve/led. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

--Thanks, since I have the i7's in excess I hoped it would have better cooling for the other, it gets to 55 C with its original cooler.

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

If you can't over clock your CPU then its really not worth it. all intel stock heatsinks are terrible, since they stopped using copper.

The 4790k stock cooler still uses a copper core which cools better and might mean less noise at load.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 4790k stock cooler still uses a copper core which cools better and might mean less noise at load.

Wow, I didn't know that I sill would not suggest using it though. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

13 hours ago, Jen89 said:

--Thanks, since I have the i7's in excess I hoped it would have better cooling for the other, it gets to 55 C with its original cooler.

55C is low temp for any Intel CPU. In your situation noise would be main reason for change. And if you have i7 stock cooler at hand, sure. If you are thinking of buying one, save the money for something better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2017. 06. 30. at 9:27 PM, RollinLower said:

the sockets would fit just fine, but you would not see a large improvement in cooling. you're better off getting the cheapest hyper 212 or something. :P

Are you sure about the socket compalibility, because the intel i7's fan (e97378-001) compatible with LGA1155/1156/1150 sockets, and I use the i3 6100 with LGA1151 socket? And do any of you know of an official intel site with their fan specs listed?

8 minutes ago, Jen89 said:

Are you sure about the socket compalibility, because the intel i7's fan (e97378-001) compatible with LGA1155/1156/1150 sockets, and I use the i3 6100 with LGA1151 socket? And do any of you know of an official intel site with their fan specs listed?

Aal the 115x sockets have the same mounting holes for coolers, amd i'm very sure a i7 cooler designed for higher TDP's can handle your i3 ;)