Best Case for Quiet Water Cooling?

Go to solution Solved by Sacriledgy,
1 hour ago, Casparian said:

I am currently like:

“I will buy a nice case which is overkill but I can use it in every upcoming upgrade in the next 10 years.“

Do you think, thinking like that is the right way?

Thinking that way is kind of stupid (no offense, just to get my point ahead)

The thing with case is that you see it every single day. And you know what will happpen when you saw something hundreds of times. You'll get over it really fast..... so i say get a good looking case with good radiator support, and call it a day. It don't matter if its cheap or expensive, As long as you like the look of it and it can provide you with your need, I'd say that's the perfect case. We can't really help you with this, this is very subjective in my opinion. There is no "overkill" in cases, its like buying new shoes. But instead of housing your foot, it'll house your PC.

Some feature comfort might help the look and function, like more usb 3.0/3.1 on front panel, front HDMI pass through, tempered glass, rgb lighting fans, included PWM fan hub, ect, ect. And don't forget that some new features might be added into case market like USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB Type-C, Integrated RGB lighting, the list goes on.

I wouldn't worry too much about build quality if buying from big brands, they are famous for a reason. And as long as you're not gonna use your case as your gaming chair, that will make me care even less. (Still important, but not as much)

Try to look at Corsair 900D, (the one JayzTwoCents use for his crazy loop), Corsair 570x, Phanteks P400s tempered glass, Fractal Design Define R5 (the one that Bitwit uses for his good looking custom loop), Enthoo Evolv, Enthoo Elite, all that cases are good. Just go with your hearts content.

Hey everyone,

thank you for all response in the last thread, but I think it is time to make a new one, because over the last month I made decisions. :)

I am now planning on doing a full custom loop for those components:

• 6700k @5 Ghz
  • GTX 1080Ti FE (EVGA sold out at the moment, waiting for them to be on stock)
  • Maximus IX Formula's included water block

My goal is still a very silent operating system, but also a nice look.

For the silent part, I decided to go with at least 2* 360 Radiators, better 2*480 Radiators.

With most of the components I don't have much problems finding the right one, excpet from one: The Case

I am looking for a case, which suits this needs:

• Place for at least 2* 360 or 480 Rads, better more for future upgradability
  • Radiator placement should not have too limited airflow (the bad example is the evolv atx)
  • Good Build quality (not like steel case which wobbles around when working with it)
  • Enough place for future upgrades, I want a case that can last me for long
  • If possible, seperated chamber for radiators like Caselab ones have
  • Not to full-build inner chamber (No drive mounts in the front)

The Cases I found until now are Caselabs Series of Cases, which seem to be the only ones suiting my needs.

But I am really struggling with their prices around 700-800 Euros. It is so much!

Do you think, it makes sense to buy such a pricy case? I would be willed to buy one, if that is a justifable solution.

Also I saw cases like an 900D, Core X71, Lian Li PC011, Enthoo Primo, etc.

But it seems to me, that none of them suits my needs. (Correct me, if I'm wrong)

What cases can you recommend for me?

Do you know cases I have not seen, and which one do you think suits my needs best?

Makes a high priced case like Caselabs SMA8 sense, and yes, in which situation?

Are there alternatives to the SMA8 with smilar features?

And, to make it clear from the beginning: I am willed to buy a case that suits my needs! I don't want to find the cheapest case on the market!

Please don't reccomend like R5 or S340 "because they are cheap"! ;)

I hope it was the right way to make a new topic, but I feel like that wouldn't fit in the old one.

Congrats to the ones who read the full post!

Thank you all for helping me to this point and also for future answers!

Regards,

Casparian

Fractal Design Define S or Focus G

The Define has rubber grommets on the holes for the cables while the Focus G does not

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

The most silent water cooling can get is put it in another room :D

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

If your a fan of large cases and Tempered glass, take a look at the Thermaltake 'The Tower 900'! 

Edit:

I have a friend with a 7700k, MSI 1080TI sea hawk EK and Maximus IX formula, with 2 480 rads full of noctua fans, its VERY quiet, can hear the pumps more than everything else!

4 minutes ago, BlueCrazii said:

The most silent water cooling can get is put it in another room :D

No one would ever do that. Its like running the whole loop across your room.

*look at LinusTechTips videos*

Oh wait.....

2 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

Oh wait.....

AntVenom did that were it went to the basement.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

Oh wait.....

My problem is, I can not run it into another room on my level and also not outside. I could only run it like 2 Meters up to the next floor, but I don't think a normal pump could do this...

You can see my pc in my signature below, but I went with the Define S, and at no time whatsoever have I regretted it. My pc is much more power hungry than the one you are proposing, and it is great for quiet watercooling (also I would HIGHLY recommend always using 280/420 rads over 360 rads. A good 280 with good 140mm fans outperforms a 360mm rad of similar quality because the area difference is rather small and 140mm fans are just that much better.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, CoryShepherd said:

If your a fan of large cases and Tempered glass, take a look at the Thermaltake 'The Tower 900'! 

Edit:

I have a friend with a 7700k, MSI 1080TI sea hawk EK and Maximus IX formula, with 2 480 rads full of noctua fans, its VERY quiet, can hear the pumps more than everything else!

I am a littlebit worried about the build quality of Thermaltake cases...who has experience with the Tower 900? 

11 minutes ago, Casparian said:

I am a littlebit worried about the build quality of Thermaltake cases...who has experience with the Tower 900? 

FRactal Design Define S does not look and feel like a cheap case (cheap you know like cheap out)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 hours ago, Casparian said:

I am looking for a case, which suits this needs:

• Place for at least 2* 360 or 480 Rads, better more for future upgradability
  • Radiator placement should not have too limited airflow (the bad example is the evolv atx)
  • Good Build quality (not like steel case which wobbles around when working with it)
  • Enough place for future upgrades, I want a case that can last me for long
  • If possible, seperated chamber for radiators like Caselab ones have
  • Not to full-build inner chamber (No drive mounts in the front)

To be honest guys, I don‘t want a Fractal. Maybe you won‘t understand, but it is a compromise for me in most of it’s parts.

I am really considering the 900D, but I heard some really bad things about Build Quality here.

I am still asking myself, if it would make sense buying a case like CaseLabs SMA8, as an investment for the future.

Has someone here experiences with the Lian Li PC-o11? That could be my choice when going for the lower cost case, but HardwareCanucks review wasn’t really good and I read also some concerns in other forums.

What do you think about this case? (Quality, Airflow, Layout, Practicability)

Somebody here who could answer the questions in my last post?

@Casparian   How about you go full Balls to the Wall and get the Phanteks ENTHOO ELITE. Build two systems inside for all the water cooling power!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854055

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

TBH, spending gobs of cash for overkill isn't doing yourself any favors.

two 360's is way overkill, dictating your expense of a cabinet to house them which could almost build another build.

STAP and keep it simple.

the CPU with those 2x 360 will be the same if it were a 240 and 360 (more case options now are available). even a 2x 240 can keep it all in a favorable comfort level in temps.

for that simple CPU/GPU loop a single 360 is fine (even a single 45/60mm thick 280 is fine). want to slow the fans down, then 2x 240, but wasting bag-loads of money for something that in real-world won't do much other than sour the experience.

In my build, I just have an 4690K with a 980Ti, and the rads I'm running in my Define R5 is a 280 and 360. Its tight in there, but works well. 

2 hours ago, airdeano said:

TBH, spending gobs of cash for overkill isn't doing yourself any favors.

two 360's is way overkill, dictating your expense of a cabinet to house them which could almost build another build.

STAP and keep it simple.

the CPU with those 2x 360 will be the same if it were a 240 and 360 (more case options now are available). even a 2x 240 can keep it all in a favorable comfort level in temps.

for that simple CPU/GPU loop a single 360 is fine (even a single 45/60mm thick 280 is fine). want to slow the fans down, then 2x 240, but wasting bag-loads of money for something that in real-world won't do much other than sour the experience.

And I agree with @airdeano, you don't need so many big rads for your set up for just a single card.  Unless you are going overkill on overclocking your CPU and Video Card.  Even then you don't need such big rads.  The only reason I have a 280 and 360 cause of the heat from my parts. Plus I live in a desert with triple digits everyday right now. 

Both your card and CPU are not very hot parts, even under overclock conditions.  That is unless you overvolt them like crazy

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

@airdeano,

@Ninja_Commander,

A Enthoo Elite is pretty nice, but I don‘t need two systems and I understand it’s pretty overkill to have such a big case.

So, I would go for a case in the size like a Define, but in my eyes it also just looks bad in my eyes with the missing PSU shroud and the acrylic window.

So, I am searching for an Alternative to my Enthoo Evolv, which has better Airflow, but also looks nice and has build quality, is out of Aluminium, etc.

Do you know such a case?

I also still have my eyes on the Lian Li o11, and the other o-cases, but I am not shure about it’s watercooling support and HardwareCanucks review said it’s very unstable when putting side panels off...

Thank you for your reply so far!

Edit: Oh my good, you made me looking at that case again...now I totally want it...I hate you... :D

5 minutes ago, Casparian said:

@airdeano,

@Ninja_Commander,

A Enthoo Elite is pretty nice, but I don‘t need two systems and I understand it’s pretty overkill to have such a big case.

So, I would go for a case in the size like a Define, but in my eyes it also just looks bad in my eyes with the missing PSU shroud and the acrylic window.

So, I am searching for an Alternative to my Enthoo Evolv, which has better Airflow, but also looks nice and has build quality, is out of Aluminium, etc.

Do you know such a case?

I also still have my eyes on the Lian Li o11, and the other o-cases, but I am not shure about it’s watercooling support and HardwareCanucks review said it’s very unstable when putting side panels off...

Thank you for your reply so far!

Fractal Design Focus G?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

On 30/06/2017 at 4:40 PM, Casparian said:

6700k @5 Ghz

Can't really help with the case choice, but great work with that overclock I can't get above 4.7 GHz even after I give it 1.35v

Desktop: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 | i7 6700k @4.7GHz 1.3v | Custom EKWB soft-tubing loop (CPU + GPU) (2x 240mm Alphacool rads)| Zotac GTX 1080 Founder Edition | Asus Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard | Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD | 4TB Seagate HDD | 2TB Seagate HDD | EVGA SuperNova G2 750 | Acer Predator XB271HK | https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xzjRHN

12 hours ago, Ninja_Commander said:

@Casparian   How about you go full Balls to the Wall and get the Phanteks ENTHOO ELITE. Build two systems inside for all the water cooling power!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854055

At that price your better off getting something from Case-Labs.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

4 hours ago, Revan654 said:

At that price your better off getting something from Case-Labs.

First things first: Elite and SMA8 with upgrades are priced exactly the same for me.

So would you really prefer that over Enthoo Elite? Because Caselabs has lots of modding potential of course, but I feel like the Elite brings all the nice features just right out of the box.

As I see you have had many big cases like these, you can maybe answer my main question:

Does such a case make sense?

Currently I would leave my one 1080Ti air cooled, the custom loop for cpu and gpu will come in Christmas Holidays.

But even then these cases are overkill an I will never use their full potential.

I am currently like:

“I will buy a nice case which is overkill but I can use it in every upcoming upgrade in the next 10 years.“

Have wrote it 3rd time now, ltt application crashes a few times...so sorry if writing isn’t perfect.

Thank you for reply! :)

20 minutes ago, Casparian said:

First things first: Elite and SMA8 with upgrades are priced exactly the same for me.

So would you really prefer that over Enthoo Elite? Because Caselabs has lots of modding potential of course, but I feel like the Elite brings all the nice features just right out of the box.

As I see you have had many big cases like these, you can maybe answer my main question:

Does such a case make sense?

Currently I would leave my one 1080Ti air cooled, the custom loop for cpu and gpu will come in Christmas Holidays.

Big cases is making sense when you started to do extreme watercooling

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 hour ago, Casparian said:

I am currently like:

Thinking that way is kind of stupid (no offense, just to get my point ahead)

The thing with case is that you see it every single day. And you know what will happpen when you saw something hundreds of times. You'll get over it really fast..... so i say get a good looking case with good radiator support, and call it a day. It don't matter if its cheap or expensive, As long as you like the look of it and it can provide you with your need, I'd say that's the perfect case. We can't really help you with this, this is very subjective in my opinion. There is no "overkill" in cases, its like buying new shoes. But instead of housing your foot, it'll house your PC.

Some feature comfort might help the look and function, like more usb 3.0/3.1 on front panel, front HDMI pass through, tempered glass, rgb lighting fans, included PWM fan hub, ect, ect. And don't forget that some new features might be added into case market like USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB Type-C, Integrated RGB lighting, the list goes on.

I wouldn't worry too much about build quality if buying from big brands, they are famous for a reason. And as long as you're not gonna use your case as your gaming chair, that will make me care even less. (Still important, but not as much)

Try to look at Corsair 900D, (the one JayzTwoCents use for his crazy loop), Corsair 570x, Phanteks P400s tempered glass, Fractal Design Define R5 (the one that Bitwit uses for his good looking custom loop), Enthoo Evolv, Enthoo Elite, all that cases are good. Just go with your hearts content.