Important things that were not taught in school.

T.Vengeance

What things do you wish you were taught in high school that would affect your understanding of the world dramatically? I for one wished that my math teachers taught the "regression to the mean" concept :(

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

How awesome Veritasium is.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Real life.

It's all theoretical. Even at university we are being taught how to optimally lead a company and what ever. Having First-Second-Hand experience in doing so, it's just 90% pure bullshit.

Some thing that's really missing.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Budgeting your money, How not to be involved with bitchy catty gold digging woman?

How to deal with crying.

And a bonus on behalf of the internet: Proper grammar.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Nodal and Mesh analysis on circuits. So simple yet so useful.

implicit differentiation and integration by parts.

kinematics at any meaningful level. I just learned basic forces, energy and collisions in highschool. There was really not much application to anything we learned.

implicit differentiation and integration by parts.

You were never taught that in high school? Even I was, and that was taught to us in Grade 11. Granted, I still can't do either of them well. If I need to isolate y', I'll kill a baby.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

You were never taught that in high school? Even I was, and that was taught to us in Grade 11.

Really? Integration isn't even mandatory to learn in highschool in Ontario. We learned u substitution, but for some reason never learned integration by parts, even though it's about as difficult.

No idea why we never learned implicit differentiation. It's easy enough.

Really? Integration isn't even mandatory to learn in highschool in Ontario. We learned u substitution, but for some reason never learned integration by parts, even though it's about as difficult.

No idea why we never learned implicit differentiation. It's easy enough.

No, our teacher decided to use the Stewart SVC book, and we flew through it. But IBP and u subs are definitely NOT about as difficult.

No, our teacher decided to use the Stewart SVC book, and we flew through it. But IBP and u subs are definitely NOT about as difficult.

They seemed about equally difficult in all of the problems I've done with them. I'm not too far into calc, though. I'm still in first year.

They seemed about equally difficult in all of the problems I've done with them. I'm not too far into calc, though. I'm still in first year.

Waterloo Engineering I take it? Shoulda gone to Queens...

Waterloo Engineering I take it? Shoulda gone to Queens...

I don't do enough meth to make living in Kingston worth it.

I don't do enough meth to make living in Kingston worth it.

That's no excuse. The only places you can go where the living cost is extreme is York, UT or Ryerson. 

Fine, you could go to Algoma, or Nipissing. A 90 average at Nipissing gets you a free ride.

That it's okay to be gay.

That if you're ugly then life is gonna suck.

That you're never going to grow up to be the person that you wish you could have been.

That's no excuse. The only places you can go where the living cost is extreme is York, UT or Ryerson. 

Fine, you could go to Algoma, or Nipissing. A 90 average at Nipissing gets you a free ride.

I lived in Toronto before. I'm really going to Waterloo because of Co-op.

That it's okay to be gay.

That if you're ugly then life is gonna suck.

My school wouldn't stop telling us that it was okay to be gay. It got really annoying after a while.

I learned that pretty quickly, then when I got to uni, women told me that I'm actually good looking. That was shocking.

Still shoud've gone to Queen's, if nothing other than the amazing campus.

My school wouldn't stop telling us that it was okay to be gay. It got really annoying after a while.

I learned that pretty quickly, then when I got to uni, women told me that I'm actually good looking. That was shocking.

I figured out I wasn't actually ugly (well, apparently). I just had body dysmorphic disorder, but the damage is done. I guess I'm not too convinced, but at least I'm no longer at the point where I want to cut my face up with a razor blade just so I know that I'm actually ugly. Not knowing what you are is the worst feeling in the world, even worse than being something you hate. 

Still shoud've gone to Queen's, if nothing other than the amazing campus.

I take it you're going to/went to Queen's.

I really don't care about the campus, as long as I learn everything that I need.

School is a waste of time, money, energy and resources.

No, it is most definitely not a waste of time, energy and resources. If school was done properly, all knowledge gain from past mistakes of others should not occur again. Time therefore is not put towards making those exact same mistakes but rather to advance the progress in the field of study.

Schooling is useless is as to say job training is useless. The only difference is that one has its rewards as less obvious and not immediate. Both can have a partial substitution from reading text but never a complete one.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I wouldnt of expected to be taught in high school maths --- i see it more of a statistics thing

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I wouldnt of expected to be taught in high school maths --- i see it more of a statistics thing

I took Ontario's version of stats, "Data management" in Grade 12 and it wasn't mentioned in that at all :(

I took Ontario's version of stats, "Data management" in Grade 12 and it wasn't mentioned in that at all :(

dont worry about it too much ... high school just guides you on area's you want to further study, its the same with uni.

Thing what i would liked to have seen in high school is more education of the relationship over cross platforms,  I mean by this how everything is connected some way or another.

also there needs to be a higher emphasis in science and history

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I don't really know...because I learned the common sense stuff and some other things off hand from friends, family, Internet, and my own common sense. I'm still in high school though, so we shall see...

COMIC SANS