OnePlus 5 Review

@LinusTech I thought floatplane was early acces and had no exclusive content. What's up with that mezzanine vid?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

@LinusTech I thought floatplane was early acces and had no exclusive content. What's up with that mezzanine vid?

@nicklmg (Watch out, Nick Light has a light machine gun!) can probably correct me but I would say the mezzanine video(s) and the studio overhaul will be coming to YouTube to everyone soon, so it seems like it's early access (timed-exclusive).

EDIT: Disregard what I said above.  @LinusTech has already clarified the Floatplane videos.  Maybe not @nicklmg possessing a light machine gun... yet?

21 hours ago, adamantiumxt said:

They said that the mezzanine video was floatplane exclusive in the video - but before they've always said on the WAN show that everything will be on YouTube at some point. So is it exclusive for ever or just now?

Those videos don't really have a place on YouTube. They are very raw and would hurt the channel algorithmically. At this time we are planning to keep these quick&dirty cell phone cam videos exclusive to the platform. 

Its behind the scenes content akin to DVD extras, not the main event. 

We did say in the past we would upload everything to YouTube but with the way YouTube plays games with the algorithm burying the channel if we put up stuff with less mainstream appeal and with us looking for ways to give extra value to Floatplane subscribers without hurting the regular content this was a single stone that hit both birds. 

19 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Once again @LinusTech failed to include call quality on both earpiece and loudspeaker on this review just like his past smartphone reviews. It's a phone and I'm pretty sure people want to know if it can hold on to a signal well and if phone calls won't sound like it's coming from a stroke survivor. Speaking of speakers, Linus also didn't include speaker performance on music/video playback. Who cares about the fancy new SoC or new UX features if a phone is awful at phone calls? Another disappointing thing that Linus didn't include is the talk about "endurance"; something as critical as battery life shouldn't be left out in a review. How much screen on time can it do in a day or how much battery is being drained when I'm watching a single episode of Stranger Things on Netflix at 50% brightness with volume at 50% and wifi enabled?

A bit disappointing that someone pro like Linus would be so detailed in his PC reviews but not with his smartphone reviews. I mean, smartphones are computers too right? I'm pretty sure majority of his audience wouldn't mind a slightly longer video as long as it covers the essentials of a phone like call quality or battery life.

:(

Everything I didn't mention was "okay". For my part I'm trying to focus more on the experiential aspect of finished goods devices these days. There are literally a hundred publications where you can get this other info. We aren't trying to be XDA. We want to be supplementary tech entertainment that gives you a good look at the product and discusses more of he high level positioning in the market. 

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Plz see above. 

32 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Those videos don't really have a place on YouTube. They are very raw and would hurt the channel algorithmically. At this time we are planning to keep these quick&dirty cell phone cam videos exclusive to the platform. 

Would an unlisted YouTube video, only linked through the forum not work for that? Not screwing up the YouTube algorithm (I assume unlisted videos don't count in the whole calculation) + it's sort of forum exclusive (after being FPC exclusive).

On topic:

Maybe other than general speed and some cool features (like the letter swiping for specific apps), it doesn't sound like a more interesting phone than my current Moto G4 which costed me a little under 200 euros.

Of course I can't comment on longevity on either phone, but as now I don't know why people still buy flagships, instead of a cheaper phone (with at the very least current Android support, as to not be stuck with 5.0 or whatever in two years) and upgrading earlier.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I love my OnePlus 3 but it has two major flaws imo. The first being no removable storage. I don't understand why they can't find a spot for the microSD. Second major flaw is the USB port, 2.0 really, like wtf. It make it so difficult to transfer files to and from my computer. It takes forever to transfer 19GB TWRP backup files to my desktop at usb2.0 speed. And it make me irritates that neither of these features are on the OnePlus 5.

On 6/21/2017 at 3:14 PM, LinusTech said:

We did say in the past we would upload everything to YouTube but with the way YouTube plays games with the algorithm burying the channel if we put up stuff with less mainstream appeal and with us looking for ways to give extra value to Floatplane subscribers without hurting the regular content this was a single stone that hit both birds. 

Everything I didn't mention was "okay". For my part I'm trying to focus more on the experiential aspect of finished goods devices these days. There are literally a hundred publications where you can get this other info. We aren't trying to be XDA. We want to be supplementary tech entertainment that gives you a good look at the product and discusses more of he high level positioning in the market. 

Plz see above. 

You can't upload a unlisted playlist to youtube and set the first video to publically available or similar? 

On 6/21/2017 at 3:52 PM, Minibois said:

Would an unlisted YouTube video, only linked through the forum not work for that? Not screwing up the YouTube algorithm (I assume unlisted videos don't count in the whole calculation) + it's sort of forum exclusive (after being FPC exclusive).

First off they've never done "forum exclusive" anything, thinking you'll ever get anything like that is a pipe dream. Secondly you're looking at this the wrong way, the name of the game isn't "how can we get this video to the most people" anymore. It's "what can we do to bring more people to OUR platform." This is their way of testing the waters with FPC exclusive content. "Those videos don't really have a place on Youtube" is how it starts. They have to gradually ease their way into it otherwise there would be hell to pay, and rightfully so. Before you know it there will be small "pet projects" or reviews of more "esoteric" items that "don't really fit well on Youtube". Wait a little bit longer and then you'll see 25% of their content on it, then 40%, then 70%, etc.

I'm calling it right now, in 1 to 2 years time at least 50% of their content will be FPC exclusive. This estimate is barring some kind of "crisis" on Youtube that makes them just throw everything on FPC, of course.

ON TOPIC:

I have had the OnePlus One for 2 and a half years now and am really considering this phone. I really just hope they commit to doing some kind of software support so security patches aren't just a distant memory a year down the road, then yet it's kinda that way with any manufacturer really...

I might be crazy, but I think photos on 3 are better than 5. Sharper and more vivid, still investigating.

Should I still buy this phone? I'm kinda reconsidering now because of the news that OnePlus cheated on the benchmark tests.

Just now, TiniWaffles said:

Should I still buy this phone? I'm kinda reconsidering now because of the news that OnePlus cheated on the benchmark tests.

Cheat or not, it's still the fastest phone, near-pure Android, latest CPU, UFS 2.1, speed is not an issue here.

I dig the review, really detailed and covered all that I (a broke techie) was interested in. However, how does the 6-8gB of ram compare to the 4 on the s8? Do you really notice the difference? Or was it just a waste of money that should have been dropped in favor of a lower price? Any 1+5 owners, feel free to reply as well.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, Aelar_Nailo said:

I dig the review, really detailed and covered all that I (a broke techie) was interested in. However, how does the 6-8gB of ram compare to the 4 on the s8? Do you really notice the difference? Or was it just a waste of money that should have been dropped in favor of a lower price? Any 1+5 owners, feel free to reply as well.

In my opinion, it's a gimmick to compensate for other weak spots, like bad screen, but then where's never too much RAM, so I'll take it for it.

Just now, MysticLTT said:

In my opinion, it's a gimmick to compensate for other weak spots, like bad screen, but then where's never too much RAM, so I'll take it for it.

Do you have one?

Just now, Aelar_Nailo said:

Do you have one?

I do, went from 3 to 5, still comparing the benefits.

Just now, MysticLTT said:

I do, went from 3 to 5, still comparing the benefits.

How often do apps reload? Like, usually every 3? 5? Etc.

3 hours ago, imreloadin said:

First off they've never done "forum exclusive" anything, thinking you'll ever get anything like that is a pipe dream. Secondly you're looking at this the wrong way, the name of the game isn't "how can we get this video to the most people" anymore. It's "what can we do to bring more people to OUR platform." This is their way of testing the waters with FPC exclusive content. "Those videos don't really have a place on Youtube" is how it starts. They have to gradually ease their way into it otherwise there would be hell to pay, and rightfully so. Before you know it there will be small "pet projects" or reviews of more "esoteric" items that "don't really fit well on Youtube". Wait a little bit longer and then you'll see 25% of their content on it, then 40%, then 70%, etc.

I'm calling it right now, in 1 to 2 years time at least 50% of their content will be FPC exclusive. This estimate is barring some kind of "crisis" on Youtube that makes them just throw everything on FPC, of course.

ON TOPIC:

I have had the OnePlus One for 2 and a half years now and am really considering this phone. I really just hope they commit to doing some kind of software support so security patches aren't just a distant memory a year down the road, then yet it's kinda that way with any manufacturer really...

Well without knowing what kind of videos would be FPC exclusive, how would I know if they are worth it? I know I know.. it's only 3 dollars.

I don't care much if they do or do not release the video or not, just wanted to know if there was a possibility for releasing it this way.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/