Need Help Choosing my Monitors

TheSlicingEdge
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
37 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Well I just figured out my budget is roughly $600 i can splurge a bit and go a bit above but I need a niceeee monitor for gaming with my 1080 and then another for browsing I need them to have really small bezels. Is GSync important? 

If you ask me, g sync is a really nice feature to have if you're gaming.

How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Dell - S2415H 23.8" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($175.95 @ Adorama) 
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $575.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-19 15:15 EDT-0400

Alternatively there's this guy for the secondary monitor, the bezels are a bit bigger but it's curved and I think it's quantum dot (not sure though). Up to you which on you want to pick.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YsL7YJ/samsung-monitor-c24f390

Basically i have a 1080 and i plan to runna few games at UHD and then browse on a second monitor whilr game is loading etc. this is what i was thinking for main monitor ans 2nd just having the 2nd be in full hd not uhd 

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MX27AQ-2560x1440-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B01707HMEM/ref=sr_1_1?tag=monitnerds-20&ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

is this a bad monitor it seems fine medium hz and fast response time and .08mm bezel which is why i chose it. If its not good whats good because i want really small bezel and i want one slightly identical so i can run it dual monitor 

I would suggest this guy instead. It's cheaper and has pretty much the same specs, but it's color calibrated at the factory so colors will be much better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/T8dFf7/dell-monitor-u2515h

If you're mainly gaming and are willing to spend a bit more this would be a very good choice. It's 165 hz and g sync so it'd be a good match for your 1080. Colors naturally won't be as good since it's TN but for a TN I've heard it has decent colors.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I would suggest this guy instead. It's cheaper and has pretty much the same specs, but it's color calibrated at the factory so colors will be much better.

If you're mainly gaming and are willing to spend a bit more this would be a very good choice. It's 165 hz and g sync so it'd be a good match for your 1080. Colors naturally won't be as good since it's TN but for a TN I've heard it has decent colors.

TN is not an option for me because of the low angles of view. The top one is nice but do you happen yo know any that have maybe even thinner bezels? Thanks.

12 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Would you suggest this monitor http://us.aoc.com/product_feature.php?id=37

or would it be stupid to game on that with a 1080? 

3 hours ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Would you suggest this monitor http://us.aoc.com/product_feature.php?id=37

or would it be stupid to game on that with a 1080? 

That one looks nice too. I don't think it'd be stupid persay, granted I personally think a 1070 is perfect for 1440p 60 fps (it gets around 60 fps or so in most games at 1440p on Ultra), though granted some more intensive titles will probably require a 1080.

I would say it's "not optimal for now," but not "stupid."

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

21 hours ago, DocSwag said:

That one looks nice too. I don't think it'd be stupid persay, granted I personally think a 1070 is perfect for 1440p 60 fps (it gets around 60 fps or so in most games at 1440p on Ultra), though granted some more intensive titles will probably require a 1080.

I would say it's "not optimal for now," but not "stupid."

Well I just figured out my budget is roughly $600 i can splurge a bit and go a bit above but I need a niceeee monitor for gaming with my 1080 and then another for browsing I need them to have really small bezels. Is GSync important? 

37 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

How does this look?

Alternatively there's this guy for the secondary monitor, the bezels are a bit bigger but it's curved and I think it's quantum dot (not sure though). Up to you which on you want to pick.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

How does this look?

I really appreciate your help the one for Main Display would not suit my needs as it is not IPS. Is there an alternative option that is IPS with the same features? even if it maybe costs 500 instead of 400? As I said I can splurge a bit and am realizing I need to spend a bit more if this I want it to meet all my needs.

31 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

I really appreciate your help the one for Main Display would not suit my needs as it is not IPS. Is there an alternative option that is IPS with the same features? even if it maybe costs 500 instead of 400? As I said I can splurge a bit and am realizing I need to spend a bit more if this I want it to meet all my needs.

Unfortunately the cheapest g sync 1440p non TN monitor is almost $700, which seems out of your budget :/ 

I've heard the Dell is decent though if you calibrate it, and most of the IPS 1440p g sync monitors I've heard have quality control issues.

I have an idea though. What if you get the Dell g sync monitor I linked, and this guy to go with it?

It's 1440p, IPS, and Dell color calibrates the thing at the factory to make sure it's within a certain level of accuracy, so it's gonna be pretty good.

So you could use the g sync one while gaming, and this one for your main monitor for like everything else. Of course it's gonna be a little more but it sounds like you can go a little higher.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Unfortunately the cheapest g sync 1440p non TN monitor is almost $700, which seems out of your budget :/ 

I've heard the Dell is decent though if you calibrate it, and most of the IPS 1440p g sync monitors I've heard have quality control issues.

I have an idea though. What if you get the Dell g sync monitor I linked, and this guy to go with it?

It's 1440p, IPS, and Dell color calibrates the thing at the factory to make sure it's within a certain level of accuracy, so it's gonna be pretty good.

So you could use the g sync one while gaming, and this one for your main monitor for like everything else. Of course it's gonna be a little more but it sounds like you can go a little higher.

Yea that is a possibility. I understand GSync reduces stuttering do I need that because I have a 1080 already?

On June 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM, TheSlicingEdge said:

Basically i have a 1080 and i plan to runna few games at UHD and then browse on a second monitor whilr game is loading etc. this is what i was thinking for main monitor ans 2nd just having the 2nd be in full hd not uhd 

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MX27AQ-2560x1440-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B01707HMEM/ref=sr_1_1?tag=monitnerds-20&ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

is this a bad monitor it seems fine medium hz and fast response time and .08mm bezel which is why i chose it. If its not good whats good because i want really small bezel and i want one slightly identical so i can run it dual monitor 

I think it is good, but why not try to search for LG?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I think it is good, but why not try to search for LG?

Advantages in LG?

Just now, TheSlicingEdge said:

Yea that is a possibility. I understand GSync reduces stuttering do I need that because I have a 1080 already?

I would personally say yes since a 1080 can't do 165 fps, or anywhere near it without turning down settings to low or medium.

It does matter from person to person though, for some people it matters more than others.

If 60 hz is fine with you though, a 1080 can do 1440p 60fps at ultra, so it could be worth considering just getting a 1440p 60 hz monitor.

The best would be for you to try it out yourself to see if g sync or high refresh rate matters to you, but I'm not sure if that's really an option :/

What exactly is this pc being used for, btw?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I would personally say yes since a 1080 can't do 165 fps, or anywhere near it without turning down settings to low or medium.

It does matter from person to person though, for some people it matters more than others.

If 60 hz is fine with you though, a 1080 can do 1440p 60fps at ultra, so it could be worth considering just getting a 1440p 60 hz monitor.

The best would be for you to try it out yourself to see if g sync or high refresh rate matters to you, but I'm not sure if that's really an option :/

Pc Is being used for lots of commercial gaming Watchdogs 2  BF1 etc. and some video editing and color grading (hence the need for ips) 

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Seems that to get what I want I need to make a compromise. I think I should get G-Sync what are the advantages in a higher refresh rate monitor instead of like a 60hz one.

6 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Advantages in LG?

sRGB 99%, on screen control, game mode evolved

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Seems that to get what I want I need to make a compromise. I think I should get G-Sync what are the advantages in a higher refresh rate monitor instead of like a 60hz one.

Basically everything looks a lot smoother with higher refresh rates. The eye doesn't see in fps so higher refresh rate always makes a difference, though it does depend from person to person as to how much a difference it makes.

The best option would be to try it out of course to see how much it matters for you but you may not be able to do that :/ 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Basically everything looks a lot smoother with higher refresh rates. The eye doesn't see in fps so higher refresh rate always makes a difference, though it does depend from person to person as to how much a difference it makes.

The best option would be to try it out of course to see how much it matters for you but you may not be able to do that :/ 

Really quite far from any Fry's. So I NEED G-sync and high refresh rate what do I comprise? The 1440p screen? thats kind of stupid with a 1080 tho?

2 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Really quite far from any Fry's. So I NEED G-sync and high refresh rate what do I comprise? The 1440p screen? thats kind of stupid with a 1080 tho?

Yeah nVidia makes stupid requirements. 

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Yeah nVidia makes stupid requirements. 

You have a suggestion for an LG with G-Sync ?

6 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

You don't necessarily NEED it, it's just, imo, a nice thing to have. Especially for gaming.

I personally wouldn't compromise the 1440p if you're using a 1080. 

Are you going to be doing gaming more or content creation more?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You don't necessarily NEED it, it's just, imo, a nice thing to have. Especially for gaming.

I personally wouldn't compromise the 1440p if you're using a 1080. 

Are you going to be doing gaming more or content creation more?

Gaming more usually editing on my laptop but way bigger tasks will be executed on main comp. which wont happen alot

Just now, TheSlicingEdge said:

Gaming more usually editing on my laptop but way bigger tasks will be executed on main comp. which wont happen alot

If it's mostly gaming, I would suggest you go for the g sync 165 hz monitor.

What you could do is get it, try it out and see if colors are good or bad and whether or not you could calibrate it to something better, and also see if the 165hz and g sync actually makes any difference to you. If it does matter, keep it, otherwise you could return it and get the IPS Dell monitor I mentioned earlier, along with one of the 1080p monitors I mentioned earlier as a secondary monitor or just get two of them because why not xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

You have a suggestion for an LG with G-Sync ?

Can not found it, i guess they did not make g-sync monitors at all

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If it's mostly gaming, I would suggest you go for the g sync 165 hz monitor.

What you could do is get it, try it out and see if colors are good or bad and whether or not you could calibrate it to something better, and also see if the 165hz and g sync actually makes any difference to you. If it does matter, keep it, otherwise you could return it and get the IPS Dell monitor I mentioned earlier, along with one of the 1080p monitors I mentioned earlier as a secondary monitor or just get two of them because why not xD 

What did you say the problem was with 1440p 144hz gsync ips monitors?