Need Help Choosing my Monitors

TheSlicingEdge
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
37 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Well I just figured out my budget is roughly $600 i can splurge a bit and go a bit above but I need a niceeee monitor for gaming with my 1080 and then another for browsing I need them to have really small bezels. Is GSync important? 

If you ask me, g sync is a really nice feature to have if you're gaming.

How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Dell - S2415H 23.8" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($175.95 @ Adorama) 
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($399.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $575.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-19 15:15 EDT-0400

Alternatively there's this guy for the secondary monitor, the bezels are a bit bigger but it's curved and I think it's quantum dot (not sure though). Up to you which on you want to pick.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YsL7YJ/samsung-monitor-c24f390

6 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

What did you say the problem was with 1440p 144hz gsync ips monitors?

A lot of them have bad quality control (not all have good color calibration, a lot of backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc.). That's not to mention that they all cost north of $650.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

A lot of them have bad quality control (not all have good color calibration, a lot of backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc.). That's not to mention that they all cost north of $650.

Well, Im just really concerned about a TN monitor. Its hard to return right?

2 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Well, Im just really concerned about a TN monitor. Its hard to return right?

A lot of online shops let you return for a refund within 30 days. As long as you buy it from somewhere that lets you do that you'd probably be fine (just make sure you can).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

I just did some reading and it looks like, at least for Amazon and newegg, if you return it and it's not defective then you only get back 85% of what you paid. So I'm actually not that sure anymore if it's a good idea or not :/ 

Basically if you don't like it you'd end up spending $60.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I just did some reading and it looks like, at least for Amazon and newegg, if you return it and it's not defective then you only get back 85% of what you paid. So I'm actually not that sure anymore if it's a good idea or not :/ 

Huh, Well I was going to buy the 165hz one and if I didnt like it return but I guess I would have to keep it. I might be asking my parents for a long drive to frys.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

What panel type is this one ? http://www.frys.com/product/9147958?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG 

3 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

It is TN

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

ty

IPS panels sacrifice performance into beauty, which This monitor can do great while IPs

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

LG fanyboy xd. No GSync and low HZ right? 

Yeah dude, but not criticizing anyone to go for LG? yes ips causes low Hz and LG do not make G-Sync monitors As Far as i know. And i am getting that monitor

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Yeah dude, but not criticizing anyone to go for LG? yes ips causes low Hz and LG do not make G-Sync monitors As Far as i know. And i am getting that monitor

LG has really fancy UltraFine displays I do like them but uh not for gaming. I could rock a productivity setup with their ultra fines :D

2 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

LG 29UM69G, i think it is good. Let me tell you that LG's monitor naming uses this format : Screen size + Type of monitor (can be 4K, ultrawide and other) + grade based on specs + G when it is a gaming specialized + colour (b, black. P, white)

THat is how LG monitor is named

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

49 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Huh, Well I was going to buy the 165hz one and if I didnt like it return but I guess I would have to keep it. I might be asking my parents for a long drive to frys.

No Best Buy or micro center near you either? :/ 

46 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

TN, if the response time is under 4ms it's always TN since IPS and VA and what not just can't get that low.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 hours ago, DocSwag said:

No Best Buy or micro center near you either? :/ 

TN, if the response time is under 4ms it's always TN since IPS and VA and what not just can't get that low.

Thete is a bestbuy but they rarely have monitors on display. My parents also just dont like driving me around. What about monitor arms? 

Thete is a bestbuy but they rarely have monitors on display. My parents also just dont like driving me around. What about monitor arms? 

Wait so what option do you have now?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

19 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Well I checked and I will prolly go to bestbuy to demo the 165hz TN monitor and see if I like it. I if I do I will buy it and then buy the 1440p IPS as a secondary I just need a mounting solution and am not sure what to do. Give me some time and I will like the 2 monitors.

7 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Well I checked and I will prolly go to bestbuy to demo the 165hz TN monitor and see if I like it. I if I do I will buy it and then buy the 1440p IPS as a secondary I just need a mounting solution and am not sure what to do. Give me some time and I will like the 2 monitors.

Ok, i do not know if ips is must when doing dual monitor setup

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

27 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I would go with this as a main, and as a secondary this one Im wondering if its bad the main is 23.8 and second is 25in also how to mount them seamlessly? 

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Ok, i do not know if ips is must when doing dual monitor setup

By dual monitor I mean have the 165hz running bf1 and while game is loading I can look over and watch forms etc. 

1 minute ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

By dual monitor I mean have the 165hz running bf1 and while game is loading I can look over and watch forms etc. 

I kinda forgot about that, then TN is fine

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I kinda forgot about that, then TN is fine

What about it being different screen size?

38 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Mounting monitors isn't really something I know that much about :P.

They both have vesa mounts, I can tell you that. Other than that there's not much I can help you out with... I would suggest you make another topic about it.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Mounting monitors isn't really something I know that much about :P.

They both have vesa mounts, I can tell you that. Other than that there's not much I can help you out with... I would suggest you make another topic about it.

Alright, is it a problem that the main would be 23.8 and 2nd would be 25in?