Whats the best air cooler that will fit in a Bitfenix Prodigy?

MonkyBoy

I all,  

Just bought a Noctua NH-D14 and it looks like its going to be slightly too big ooops.

I just want you guys' opinion on the best air cooler for this case?

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

Try it out first. 

What Mobo are you Using? 

by big you mean RAm Clearance issues, Daughterboard Issues or case issues?

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Try it out first. 

What Mobo are you Using? 

It's case issues and daughterboard?!

Oh Crap I was thing of the C14..

Hmmm Try the C14? =)) 

But you have to let go of the 140 at the bottom and maybe replace it with something smaller?

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Try it out first. 

What Mobo are you Using? 

The MB is 

Gigabyte 

GA-F2A85XN-WIFI

No its case issues, it would fit if I removed the 5" drive bay but I do want that for a BR drive.

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

The MB is 

Gigabyte 

GA-F2A85XN-WIFI

No its case issues, it would fit if I removed the 5" drive bay but I do want that for a BR drive.

Why did you get an NH-D14 for an FM2 socket...?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why did you get an NH-D14 for an FM2 socket...?

Does it not fit? 

Does it not fit? 

Think about the most powerful cpu for FM2... 

It's not worth spending so much on a cooler for any cpu for that socket. You might as well just get a cheaper cooler and a better socket in the first place.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Think about the most powerful cpu for FM2...

It's not worth spending so much on a cooler for any cpu for that socket. You might as well just get a cheaper cooler and a better socket in the first place.

The build is just for an htpc for my mum. The A10-5700 is plenty powerful enough for DVDs and browser games lol. So what cooler would you recommend?

The build is just for an htpc for my mum. The A10-5700 is plenty powerful enough for DVDs and browser games lol. So what cooler would you recommend?

Hyper 212 Evo.

If you're looking for quiet, it's pretty quiet.

Hyper 212 Evo.

If you're looking for quiet, it's pretty quiet.

Yeah quite is very important to me. I'll check it out although I am a noctua fanboy lol

Only smaller boards can fit in the Prodigy and since they are smaller versions of the MOTHERboard i'm guessing he's calling it the Daugterboard.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Only smaller boards can fit in the Prodigy and since they are smaller versions of the MOTHERboard i'm guessing he's calling it the Daugterboard.

No I think he's on about boards like the ROG impact and and the P8z77-I or something like that. These boards have the vrm CPU power delivery on an a pcb that sits vertical on the motherboard. That's called a daughter board.

Some M-itx boards like the ROG impact and the P8z77-I has extensions that deliver additional vrm CPU power so you can OC better. Asus started to implement this with the  P8z77-I. It's called a Daughterboard cause it's a small  removable PCB attached directly to the Mobo. 

Some M-itx boards like the ROG impact and the P8z77-I has extensions that deliver additional vrm CPU power so you can OC better. Asus started to implement this with the  P8z77-I. It's called a Daughterboard cause it's a small  removable PCB attached directly to the Mobo. 

I was right with the P8Z77-I? jeez i need to get out more lol...

How do you get the system specs on the bottom of your posts?

I was right with the P8Z77-I? jeez i need to get out more lol...

How do you get the system specs on the bottom of your posts?

:)) it's aight man. I learned that from watching Linus. =)) no need to go out... =))))

Also go to your profile it's somewhere there. I'm mobile so I can't check...

I all,  

Just bought a Noctua NH-D14 and it looks like its going to be slightly too big ooops.

I just want you guys' opinion on the best air cooler for this case?

The NH-D14 is 160mm height, Bitfenix says the max cpu cooler height the Prodigy can take is 170mm. You should be fine.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The NH-D14 is 160mm height, Bitfenix says the max cpu cooler height the Prodigy can take is 170mm. You should be fine.

Ohh yes the height clearance is fine, it's the width that's the problem, it actually hits the rear of the five and a quarter inch drive bay. This is made worse my the MB I'm using, as the CPU socket is mounted quite close to the DIMMS. Rubbish

Ohh yes the height clearance is fine, it's the width that's the problem, it actually hits the rear of the five and a quarter inch drive bay. This is made worse my the MB I'm using, as the CPU socket is mounted quite close to the DIMMS. Rubbish lol

Ouch. I suppose you could run with just one fan. Would loose a few C, but not much. But if you are going to return it and get something else, you might want to consider an AIO. A little noisier perhaps, but should fit nicely and actually leave a little free space in the case.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Ouch. I suppose you could run with just one fan. Would loose a few C, but not much. But if you are going to return it and get something else, you might want to consider an AIO. A little noisier perhaps, but should fit nicely and actually leave a little free space in the case.

I've actually got an H80i in my fractal node 304 htpc but I have to admit when the tv is low volume the pump does my bloody head in. They need to improve that before I think I would get another. Other than that it does a good job in a small small case.