Emulation Box

Go to solution Solved by The Sloth,

i personally have a raspberry pi handheld/ home console( 1ghz has a handheld and 1.1 ghz as a home console, GPU also gets a 200 MHz boost) yes you can, use retropi.  

https://retropie.org.uk/

Hey guys, not sure if this in in the right topic.

I am looking at turning my Raspberry Pi 2 into an emulation center to emulate some old games (NES, PS1, possibly PS2 if it can handle it, and more).

I was just wondering if anyone had done this and if you were able to emulate multiple consoles on the one pi.

Thank you!

i personally have a raspberry pi handheld/ home console( 1ghz has a handheld and 1.1 ghz as a home console, GPU also gets a 200 MHz boost) yes you can, use retropi.  

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i personally have a raspberry pi handheld/ home console, yes you can, use retropi.  

Will have to look at that, I had been looking at EmulationStation.

retropie is what you're looking for.

you will have to get your own ROMS though

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, KrauseeAUS said:

Will have to look at that, I had been looking at EmulationStation.

retropie uses emulation station FYI 

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

retropie is what you're looking for.

you will have to get your own ROMS though

That's okay, I have some downloaded.

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

retropie uses emulation station FYI 

Thank you, I just read that on their website, keen to try it.

Just in case anyone was interested, this is a really good video on setting up moonlight to run within RetroPi

just an FYI you wont be able to run Ps2 emulation on it and ps1 emulation will be spotty at best.

the RPI-3 is better at ps1 emulation but still can struggle a bit with it, and PS2 is still out of the question.

6 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

just an FYI you wont be able to run Ps2 emulation on it and ps1 emulation will be spotty at best.

the RPI-3 is better at ps1 emulation but still can struggle a bit with it, and PS2 is still out of the question.

Damn, I thought that might be the case, I am still setting it up so haven't had a chance to test, maybe I will move to a mini PC rather than the Pi.

15 hours ago, KrauseeAUS said:

Damn, I thought that might be the case, I am still setting it up so haven't had a chance to test, maybe I will move to a mini PC rather than the Pi.

There are other Pi like products that might be able to handle the PS-2.  I know some of those products are intentionally more powerful, but i have zero experience with them.

If you are keen on emulation to include the PS-2 you could look into getting a jail broken PS3.

All models of the PS3 can play PS1 games natively, but even the slim models can play PS2 games after they've been jail broken.  That's in addition to playing more retro games from the 8/16 bit era and arcade emulation.