GTX 1080 Ti Strix running at 1480 Mhz??

Hi guys,

i just build a new computer and got myself a gtx 1080 ti strix oc. I'm new to overclocking and so on, but the card is advertised to run at 1590-1700 (depending on the mode) mhz out of the box. And most people report seeing clocks of over 2000 mhz with slight overclocking.

Using furmarks gpu stress test, my card seemingly runs at only 1480 mhz and memory at only 5500. Why? Is there something i'm overlooking, like a bios setting for example, or is my card not working properly?

Drivers are up to date (latest in geforce experience), but other than that i'm a total noob and you should take nothing for granted 9_9

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

9 minutes ago, Fabian H. said:

Hi guys,

i just build a new computer and got myself a gtx 1080 ti strix oc. I'm new to overclocking and so on, but the card is advertised to run at 1590-1700 (depending on the mode) mhz out of the box. And most people report seeing clocks of over 2000 mhz with slight overclocking.

Using furmarks gpu stress test, my card seemingly runs at only 1480 mhz and memory at only 5500. Why? Is there something i'm overlooking, like a bios setting for example, or is my card not working properly?

Drivers are up to date (latest in geforce experience), but other than that i'm a total noob and you should take nothing for granted 9_9

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

increase power target in msi afterburner and check your temps

Do you use any overclocking utility, like MSI Afterburner?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

What does it run at in games? Furmark is a pretty worse case scenario that you won't encounter while gaming.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

@Jurrunio I am using GPU Tweak II. According to that, in OC mode, the card should run at 1700 gpu / 11000 memory. 

I just found out that the card actually goes higher than 1480 mhz, when i increase the anti-aliasing in furmark. With anti aliasing maxed at 8x, the card reaches a seemingly healthy 1961 mhz gpu clock. However the memory clock is still at 5500 mhz. Is there something im missing? Shouldnt the card try to use its full potential to reach the highest fps it can, even without anti aliasing? Or is furmark just not a good tool to test the performance?

Edit: @DocSwag ok, what other tool would you suggest? 

2 minutes ago, Fabian H. said:

I am using GPU Tweak II. According to that, in OC mode, the card should run at 1700 gpu / 11000 memory. 

I just found out that the card actually goes higher than 1480 mhz, when i increase the anti-aliasing in furmark. With anti aliasing maxed at 8x, the card reaches a seemingly healthy 1961 mhz gpu clock. However the memory clock is still at 5500 mhz. Is there something im missing? Shouldnt the card try to use its full potential to reach the highest fps it can, even without anti aliasing? Or is furmark just not a good tool to test the performance?

The memory is right, it's technically 5500 MHz vram, but because of DDR (double data rate) it's technically 11 ghz (which is what Nvidia advertises).

Furmark isn't the best tool to test, since it's wayyyy more intense than you'll ever see. What are clock speeds like in games?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Ok, i seemingly just overreacted because of Furmark showing silly values. In games it went to 1962 and 11008.

Thanks for showing me wheremy mistake was. Should have just checked in a game to get a more solid result :) 

Technically this solves my problem. I'd still like to know why Furmark would only use 1480 mhz, especially if it is "way more intense than you'll ever see"? Shouldnt it use as much of the available performance as it can then?

Sorry for causing you guys troubles over such a silly mistake.

2 minutes ago, Fabian H. said:

Ok, i seemingly just overreacted because of Furmark showing silly values. In games it went to 1962 and 11008.

Thanks for showing me wheremy mistake was. Should have just checked in a game to get a more solid result :) 

Technically this solves my problem. I'd still like to know why Furmark would only use 1480 mhz, especially if it is "way more intense than you'll ever see"? Shouldnt it use as much of the available performance as it can then?

Nvidia's GPU boost dynamically boosts the GPU's frequency based on temperature and power consumption. When you run furmark the GPU runs a lot hotter and more power hungry than normal so gpu boost pulls back the clock speeds in order to keep temps and power consumption in check. If you wanted to see higher clock speeds in gaming as well, you could use something like MSI afterburner to increase the power limit, which might make the GPU boost a little higher.

Also, remember to quote people in the future, or they might not see you replied! :) 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Nvidia's GPU boost dynamically boosts the GPU's frequency based on temperature and power consumption. When you run furmark the GPU runs a lot hotter and more power hungry than normal so gpu boost pulls back the clock speeds in order to keep temps and power consumption in check. If you wanted to see higher clock speeds in gaming as well, you could use something like MSI afterburner to increase the power limit, which might make the GPU boost a little higher.

Also, remember to quote people in the future, or they might not see you replied! :) 

Oh, thanks for the advice.

However, if what you said is true, then using the same settings that ran at 1480 mhz without antialiasing, with 8x anti aliasing should NOT result in the graphics card clocking at 1961 (like in games), should it? But thats what happens.. so .. i'm confused.

Edit, To make things more clear:

Furmark 1440p 0x anti aliasing = runs at 1450-1480 mhz, using ~<80% power

Furmark 1440p 8x anti aliasing = runs at 1961 mhz using ~90% power

1 minute ago, Fabian H. said:

Oh, thanks for the advice.

However, if what you said is true, then using the same settings that ran at 1480 mhz without antialiasing, with 8x anti aliasing should NOT result in the graphics card clocking at 1961 (like in games), should it? But thats what happens.. so .. i'm confused.

Yeah true, I'm honestly not too sure why increasing anti aliasing made it go up to 1961 MHz xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler