Are EVGA gaming laptops good?

OK, so my friend is wanting to buy a gaming laptop with a 4k display and we are looking at the SC17 by evga. Does anyone have experience with this product or similar ones by evga? Any advice would help! Thank you in advance to anyone who has something to say. 

It's probably pretty good. I'd just Google some reviews and see what they say. Though from all the other well done products EVGA makes, I doubt their flagship laptop would be crappy. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

My advice is don't buy a laptop for gaming its so much money wasted. You can't "game on the go" because gaming drains the battery super fast and you get weaker mobile CPUs and GPUs. I understand you may be space limited but consider a small form factor PC and a little desk instead. You'll get so much more for your money and playing at a desk is more comfortable and better for your posture.

Coming from an Ex-Laptop gamer btw.

I know that laptops are a lot more expensive Tom. Unfortunately this friend of mine is shipping off to college soon and needs something portable that he can also take notes and work in class with, but he also wanted high class gaming. Thank you for the concern though.

9 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

It's probably pretty good. I'd just Google some reviews and see what they say. Though from all the other well done products EVGA makes, I doubt their flagship laptop would be crappy. 

literally garbage. 

9 hours ago, pacoeltaco1 said:

OK, so my friend is wanting to buy a gaming laptop with a 4k display and we are looking at the SC17 by evga. Does anyone have experience with this product or similar ones by evga? Any advice would help! Thank you in advance to anyone who has something to say. 

Avoid it. Overpriced, underspec, underbuilt, limited firmware and hardware. EVGA has no idea how to build laptops. They aren't BAD, they just aren't good. There is 0 reasons to get them. 

Are you looking for a 17in 4k display laptop? Since you're considering EVGA I'm assuming you'll want thin and light so Aorus X7. Or GS73VR (the new upcoming 1070 one). Clevo P670HS. Alienware 17 R4. All of these are better options. 

And also decide if you actually need a high powered laptop. If you're going to be home alot, no you don't. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

23 hours ago, Pendragon said:

literally garbage. 

Avoid it. Overpriced, underspec, underbuilt, limited firmware and hardware. EVGA has no idea how to build laptops. They aren't BAD, they just aren't good. There is 0 reasons to get them. 

Are you looking for a 17in 4k display laptop? Since you're considering EVGA I'm assuming you'll want thin and light so Aorus X7. Or GS73VR (the new upcoming 1070 one). Clevo P670HS. Alienware 17 R4. All of these are better options. 

And also decide if you actually need a high powered laptop. If you're going to be home alot, no you don't. 

I dunno, the Aorus is actually more money on Newegg, Not sure if this is just an outlying case though.

1 minute ago, pacoeltaco1 said:

I dunno, the Aorus is actually more money on Newegg, Not sure if this is just an outlying case though.

Besides, it doesn't have a 4k screen. I don't personally value this that much but my friend insisted on it.  

1 hour ago, pacoeltaco1 said:

Besides, it doesn't have a 4k screen. I don't personally value this that much but my friend insisted on it.  

I'd strongly recommend 1440p 120Hz instead because although the colors are worse it doesn't look clearer from a normal sitting distance, and is way better for gaming response time and refresh rate wise.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

15 hours ago, Galm said:

I'd strongly recommend 1440p 120Hz instead because although the colors are worse it doesn't look clearer from a normal sitting distance, and is way better for gaming response time and refresh rate wise.

I would agree with this: however, my friend is dead set on 4k for some reason. I've tried to steer him away but after a while I just resigned.  

you can game on the go, on alienware you have 1 hour + of on the go gaming time.

4K screens are fine but i wouldnt subject a laptop to gaming at 4K, you could just get a 4K screen and game at 1080p. I still use 1080p with a titan xp it was enough to make my brother's jaw drop when seeing witcher 3.

Take a look at clevo, alienware, msi, gigabyte aero as they all offer high end options. One razor linus reviewed that he loved is decent too, for the GPU i wouldnt consider for 4k gaming only 1080p and portable options usually have an intel IGP as well which has no issues driving a 4k screen.

From my experience with evga boards, their laptops will be good but have that 1 or 2 issues that you cant fix that will bug you. For me my motherboard's display that uses intel IGP doesnt work despite the CPU's IGP itself working and being able to do graphical and compute tasks.

Buying gaming laptop based on battery life is pointless.
You don't magically get more performance out machine just by compressing it to small size, it still consumes 150-200W of power which is efficient by dekstop standard, but still way too much for any modern battery to handle(safely) regardless of the size.

You can still get solid 3-5 hours of unplugged time out of pascal laptops with win10 power savings, so that's something to keep in mind when picking a notebook for writing down school notes