Crazy Router

clad

i have a Dlink DIR-605L cloud router it has a 10/100 fast ethernet port

i have a 100mbps internet connection 

the problem: 

if i connect the internet cable directly to my pc i am getting about 85-95 mbps speed so i am assuming there is no problem with my windows settings

if i connect my pc to router via lan cable then this happens:

1. 30-40 mbps speed in speedtest 

2 . if i reboot the router from the router admin settings and then immediately speedtest i get about 80mbps speed 

but this speed drops down back to 30mbps after sometime and i am not able to understand why 

3. if after rebooting the router i start a torrent it downloads at 80mbps speed until the download completes and then the speed drops back to 30mbps even if i start another torrent i get 30mbps 

what is the problem here??

Have you enabled UPnP or configured your router in any way?...this would include installing 3rd party firmware?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, Leonard said:

Have you enabled UPnP or configured your router in any way?...this would include installing 3rd party firmware?

i have tried both enabling and disabling but results are same and it does not require any 3rd party firmware

I use to use a DLink router it was unstable as hell i ended up just buying a Tenda AC19 but yeah, Any router can handle a 100mb internet connection this is a dumb question but are you using a CAT 4 + Cable? 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

Just now, clad said:

i have tried both enabling and disabling but results are same and it does not require any 3rd party firmware

I know it does not require 3rd party firmware, i am asking if you installed any like DDWRT or OpenWRT.

You have the Internet cable connected to the yellow port on the DLink and your PC connected to any of the other ports correct?

1 minute ago, Jredmond said:

I use to use a DLink router it was unstable as hell i ended up just buying a Tenda AC19 but yeah, Any router can handle a 100mb internet connection this is a dumb question but are you using a CAT 4 + Cable? 

i have a cat 6 cable and i am not asking if it can handle 100mbps read the problem again 

Just now, Leonard said:

I know it does not require 3rd party firmware, i am asking if you installed any like DDWRT or OpenWRT.

You have the Internet cable connected to the yellow port on the DLink and your PC connected to any of the other ports correct?

yes i have updated official firmware no 3rd party firmware and yes connections are correct 

Just now, clad said:

i have a cat 6 cable and i am not asking if it can handle 100mbps read the problem again 

My mistake, ok the only thing i could think it would be is the router software, it wouldnt make sense to go from full bandwidth then just drop to 30mbs have you tried resetting it? 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

My mistake, ok the only thing i could think it would be is the router software, it wouldnt make sense to go from full bandwidth then just drop to 30mbs have you tried resetting it? 

yes i have done resetting too but again same result its crazy

Just now, clad said:

yes i have done resetting too but again same result its crazy

Is it getting warm, like the router itself? Thats the only reason i could think of its over ethernet so it should be bypassing the router completely unless there is a hardware issue inside the device itself

Have you checked to make sure that you don't have some speed, like 30Mbps, defined in the router's QOS settings? normally when setting up QOS you have to tell the router what speed you normally get, otherwise it can't really apply the QOS to traffic properly.

EDIT: If this was the problem, then it means that the router doesn't apply the QOS right at boot time.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Is it getting warm, like the router itself? Thats the only reason i could think of its over ethernet so it should be bypassing the router completely unless there is a hardware issue inside the device itself

its a bit warm not like overheating or hot to touch

Just now, brwainer said:

Have you checked to make sure that you don't have some speed, like 30Mbps, defined in the router's QOS settings? normally when setting up QOS you have to tell the router what speed you normally get, otherwise it can't really apply the QOS to traffic properly.

QOS is turned off

It can also be the fact that the CPU is a single core under 500mhz and coupled with his speed and the stock firmware, the router is just choking.

Just now, clad said:

QOS is turned off

Just want to confirm you were running the torrent inside the same box that speed tests were low on? if you were its something inside your settings. Make sure you have all ports forwarded that you need for google, try switching the DNS server to googles default not sure if that will work but Dlink routers are very tempermental i use to have one it was the worst router i have ever owned. 

Just want to confirm you were running the torrent inside the same box that speed tests were low on? if you were its something inside your settings. Make sure you have all ports forwarded that you need for google, try switching the DNS server to googles default not sure if that will work but Dlink routers are very tempermental i use to have one it was the worst router i have ever owned. 

since 3 days i am reading stuff and optimizing my settings but cant get this to work and the dns is set to googles default 

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It can also be the fact that the CPU is a single core under 500mhz and coupled with his speed and the stock firmware, the router is just choking.

why does it choke after sometime? like when i reboot it and start a torrent its at 100mbps until it completes why it does not choke in between?

1 minute ago, clad said:

since 3 days i am reading stuff and optimizing my settings but cant get this to work and the dns is set to googles default 

Honestly im going to give you the god honest truth, buy a new router. https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-AC1200-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B06X1CHFJ5/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1497413033&sr=1-16&keywords=Router&tag=linus21-20&th=1  this is one of the best choices for the price, but its one of these devices that you will almost never fix because its so complicated to FIX 

Honestly im going to give you the god honest truth, buy a new router. https://www.amazon.com/Tenda-AC1200-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B06X1CHFJ5/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1497413033&sr=1-16&keywords=Router&tag=linus21-20&th=1  this is one of the best choices for the price, but its one of these devices that you will almost never fix because its so complicated to FIX 

ok but what is wrong with this router its funny and annoying at the same time xD

Honestly, its probably the D Link software. Unless, its overheating or something but even then you couldnt fix it lol. But just stay away from D link stuff in the future their support is horrible, speak of their support did you try them yet ? Tenda makea  great product i have 2 Tenda routers fast as hell for the price. 

Honestly, its probably the D Link software. Unless, its overheating or something but even then you couldnt fix it lol. But just stay away from D link stuff in the future their support is horrible, speak of their support did you try them yet ? Tenda makea  great product i have 2 Tenda routers fast as hell for the price. 

no i did not try support because they waste time with very basic questions and actually i think this happens with support section of all products 

15 minutes ago, clad said:

why does it choke after sometime? like when i reboot it and start a torrent its at 100mbps until it completes why it does not choke in between?

because of the caching that happens in a router. While it is for sure you can get 100mbps through a 10/100 baseT port it will choke after a while especially if the router does not have sufficient cache. Your router will have no more than 32mb when you want 64mb of cache and above and a dual core CPU on the router for consistent speeds above 80mbps. that is just how routers and most default firmware works.

if your router was 10/100/1000 baseT then you would have no issues as you would need a higher cache on the router for that specification to even be possible.

e.g.

Say you have a router with your exact specifications and it is capable to install 3rd party firmware you will almost always be able to utilize all of the router's capability.  

i just checked you router on ddwrt's wiki and it isn't compatible with ddwrt's firmware. 

in some cases you can switch the router's mode to PPPoE on the WAN connection for a more sustained speed on older routers but it sacrifices some security of the router. I would advise you research your router's capability and different configurations to see what would work best for you.

i bet you can only get like 72mbps on WIFI ami correct?

You could try putting your speed in the router's traffic control page on, i believe the Advanced tab. 

On 6/14/2017 at 10:01 AM, Leonard said:

because of the caching that happens in a router. While it is for sure you can get 100mbps through a 10/100 baseT port it will choke after a while especially if the router does not have sufficient cache. Your router will have no more than 32mb when you want 64mb of cache and above and a dual core CPU on the router for consistent speeds above 80mbps. that is just how routers and most default firmware works.

if your router was 10/100/1000 baseT then you would have no issues as you would need a higher cache on the router for that specification to even be possible.

e.g.

Say you have a router with your exact specifications and it is capable to install 3rd party firmware you will almost always be able to utilize all of the router's capability.  

i just checked you router on ddwrt's wiki and it isn't compatible with ddwrt's firmware. 

in some cases you can switch the router's mode to PPPoE on the WAN connection for a more sustained speed on older routers but it sacrifices some security of the router. I would advise you research your router's capability and different configurations to see what would work best for you.

i bet you can only get like 72mbps on WIFI ami correct?

yes i see what your are saying if i connect my pc directly to the internet cable i get 94mbps and with the router i get about 75-80 mbps and it starts choking like you said so i will purchase a new router also i saw some 10/100 routers which say speeds like 750mbps which is the combined speed because you can get that speed with gigabit port only so do you think routers that say 750mbps or 1200mbps have higher cache and other resources or i should go for a gigabit router?

gigabit is costly here and also no isp is providing even 1gbps speed so i will be capped at 100mbps so what should i buy? 

Guys, network speed is not NAT speed.  While I'm sure that the router's SWITCH can happily push nearly 100mbit between it's switch ports.  It's WAN port is something different.  Everything going through the WAN part has to go through NAT to then be shared among the switch ports and the wifi clients.  A LOT of low spec routers lack the power to keep up with higher speed internet before they choke.  Judging by this thing being 100mbit and 2.4ghz Wireless N and few other features, I'm like 95% sure that this thing is just too low spec to push a 100mbit internet connection through NAT and it's choking as a result.

You can try to test and change things and tinker with this box all you want, I'm pretty sure you just need to buy a better router.