Crazy Router

clad
1 hour ago, clad said:

yes i see what your are saying if i connect my pc directly to the internet cable i get 94mbps and with the router i get about 75-80 mbps and it starts choking like you said so i will purchase a new router also i saw some 10/100 routers which say speeds like 750mbps which is the combined speed because you can get that speed with gigabit port only so do you think routers that say 750mbps or 1200mbps have higher cache and other resources or i should go for a gigabit router?

gigabit is costly here and also no isp is providing even 1gbps speed so i will be capped at 100mbps so what should i buy? 

You should not run out and buy a new router while there are still some settings i feel you have not checked to see if you would get any higher sustained speeds.

That 750/1200mbps is just relative advertising and it should not be believed nor trusted by anymore because the problem is with something called DOCSIS 3( Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) which is on the ISP's modem and server configurations settings, keep in mind that this is with default router firmware and not all firmware that can be used once the router is compatible. To get upwards of 75mbps with a 10/100 router you will need a configured with 3rd party firmware installed or bypass the WAN configuration and make it a switch which will also bypass any security features on the router like a firewall.  Do not go and buy another 10/100 router expecting better sustained speeds because rarely will that be possible.

While i understand that the gigabit router is a bit high you won't get sustained speeds any other way. You don't have to buy buy any other router if you don't feel to, i am just telling you how this shit works in layman terms. The real problem is DOCISIS 3 and a latency bug found on all, ALL, modems provided by the ISPs and the configuration settings with their DNS servers, yes i know, i know you don't know what that is, but this is just what is. Now if there was a way to connect your 10/100 router to the internet cable without the ISP's modem you would get the full speed but your router will run hot and may not last long unless you can find a way to cool it down.

I also suggested that you try to try inputting your speeds into the traffic controller page on your router in the advanced tab of the settings, did you try it?....this is where you put the download and upload speeds then save and apply then power cycle the router for the changes to take affect. 

I feel your frustration man, there is almost nothing more frustrating than paying for a service and then can't get it, that shit makes me want to throw palm sized rocks at the companies glass panes on their nice, lovely head office and stuff potatoes in their car's muffler. 

Try my suggestion with the traffic controller on your router's settings page.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

24 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The real problem is DOCISIS 3 and a latency bug found on all, ALL, modems provided by the ISPs and the configuration settings with their DNS servers, yes i know, i know you don't know what that is, but this is just what is.

Can you elaborate on this for me please? OP might be a layman but I am not. I know that many ISP DNS servers are crap, but I've never heard about this supposed latency bug that is present in all DOCSIS3 modems.

28 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I also suggested that you try to try inputting your speeds into the traffic controller page on your router in the advanced tab of the settings, did you try it?....this is where you put the download and upload speeds then save and apply then power cycle the router for the changes to take affect. 

Using the emulator available for his router, I believe you are talking about this page? http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir605L/111/Traffic_Shaping.html If so, that's the same thing as the QOS settings I asked about initially, and personally I don't see how enabling traffic control is going to increase their speeds, even if they put in the speeds they are supposed to be getting (e.g. 100Mbps down), because A) you are asking the router to manage the traffic streams which will put even more of a strain on the CPU than it already has, and B) QOS is meant to help when you have multiple devices that are all trying to communicate over the internet at the same time and they're overloading the WAN connection. It helps to keep ping times down and prioritize VOIP when the connection is heavily congested.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

just get yourself a better router, dlinks are terrible. Hopefully they'll be improving their products after leaking their key a couple of years ago so avoid any dlink product made before than.

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Can you elaborate on this for me please? OP might be a layman but I am not. I know that many ISP DNS servers are crap, but I've never heard about this supposed latency bug that is present in all DOCSIS3 modems.

because you are the King in the North about the topic is that it?!!?!?!xD 

Seriously though i can elaborate on it but i won't as OP's issue has nothing to do about the explanation of the issue but more to do with helping him achieve the speeds he pays for and i don't like taking dedicated topics off on a tangent.

One of the latency bugs code is the Puma 6 code.

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Using the emulator available for his router, I believe you are talking about this page? http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir605L/111/Traffic_Shaping.html If so, that's the same thing as the QOS settings I asked about initially, and personally I don't see how enabling traffic control is going to increase their speeds, even if they put in the speeds they are supposed to be getting (e.g. 100Mbps down), because A) you are asking the router to manage the traffic streams which will put even more of a strain on the CPU than it already has, and B) QOS is meant to help when you have multiple devices that are all trying to communicate over the internet at the same time and they're overloading the WAN connection. It helps to keep ping times down and prioritize VOIP when the connection is heavily congested.

You won't be able to see how it works because you do not code default router firmware. it is my suspicion that if he enables and configures the traffic control he will get more to the sustained speeds that he is trying to achieve because of something the many vendors like to use to fool customers called cut through forwarding for NAT, which is something i would have liked to tell him about after he tries it and not before but because of your and your investigative reconnaissance i just had to....thanks:P

Hope you understand.

2 hours ago, System Error Message said:

just get yourself a better router, dlinks are terrible. Hopefully they'll be improving their products after leaking their key a couple of years ago so avoid any dlink product made before than.

While the router OP has mentioned is not of the best, most Dlinks are good, in fact most routers are good it is the shit custom vendor firmware that shits up the routers.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

12 minutes ago, Leonard said:

because you are the King in the North about the topic is that it?!!?!?!xD 

Seriously though i can elaborate on it but i won't as OP's issue has nothing to do about the explanation of the issue but more to do with helping him achieve the speeds he pays for and i don't like taking dedicated topics off on a tangent.

You won't be able to see how it works because you do not code default router firmware. it is my suspicion that if he enables and configures the traffic control he will get more to the sustained speeds that he is trying to achieve because of something the many vendors like to use to fool customers called cut through forwarding for NAT, which is something i would have liked to tell him about after he tries it and not before but because of your and your investigative reconnaissance i just had to....thanks:P

Hope you understand.

While the router OP has mentioned is not of the best, most Dlinks are good, in fact most routers are good it is the shit custom vendor firmware that shits up the routers.

dlink hardware isnt that great either, its still a budget option if you use 3rd party firmware.

The problem here is the hardware isnt fast enough and was from a time when dlink made crappy hardware and firmware. They've stepped up their game now with both ever since their PR disaster of leaked firmware keys.

Docsis3 doesn't have any sort of latency you describe. Ping the isp DNS and you get good results.

There has to be a firmware issue with those D-link routers atm. I came across a D-link dir 869 this week with the same issues like the OP.  

I Never liked Dlink as a router brand. But then, who's brand is flawless? I Dont like TP link, Linksys, US Robotics, Konig, i could name a few others.

if you want flawless you can make your own, get yourself a linux/unix based OS and set up everything manually, a hard but rewarding task.

The best routers are those that are difficult for the average person to set up. So if you stray from consumer lines and are willing to put in the effort to learn there are plenty of good ones even cheaper and better than prosumer.

If you wish for a decent router i would suggest pfsense in one of those $100 AMD NUC boxes, cheap, slow CPU but still faster than prosumer and with way more features.

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Puma 6 is a chipset made by Intel, not a piece of code. Yes, that chipset was found to be buggy and there's at least one lawsuit about it, but not all modems use it. There are other DOCSIS3 chipsets out there. Unless you have some other examples, I have to say that your claim reeks of BS.

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

something the many vendors like to use to fool customers called cut through forwarding for NAT

that isn't fooling anyone, Mikrotik RouterOS has similar features called FastPath and FastTrack. It bypasses many features that normally aren't used in most setups but otherwise would still add additional processing overhead to each packet. By enabling this you can sometimes double or triple the throughput of the CPU if it is maxed out, at the cost of the features that get skipped. And this has nothing to do with enabling or configuring Traffic Control. I really don't understand because you are throwing together words and subjects that aren't related to each other.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

12 hours ago, Leonard said:

You should not run out and buy a new router while there are still some settings i feel you have not checked to see if you would get any higher sustained speeds.

That 750/1200mbps is just relative advertising and it should not be believed nor trusted by anymore because the problem is with something called DOCSIS 3( Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) which is on the ISP's modem and server configurations settings, keep in mind that this is with default router firmware and not all firmware that can be used once the router is compatible. To get upwards of 75mbps with a 10/100 router you will need a configured with 3rd party firmware installed or bypass the WAN configuration and make it a switch which will also bypass any security features on the router like a firewall.  Do not go and buy another 10/100 router expecting better sustained speeds because rarely will that be possible.

While i understand that the gigabit router is a bit high you won't get sustained speeds any other way. You don't have to buy buy any other router if you don't feel to, i am just telling you how this shit works in layman terms. The real problem is DOCISIS 3 and a latency bug found on all, ALL, modems provided by the ISPs and the configuration settings with their DNS servers, yes i know, i know you don't know what that is, but this is just what is. Now if there was a way to connect your 10/100 router to the internet cable without the ISP's modem you would get the full speed but your router will run hot and may not last long unless you can find a way to cool it down.

I feel your frustration man, there is almost nothing more frustrating than paying for a service and then can't get it, that shit makes me want to throw palm sized rocks at the companies glass panes on their nice, lovely head office and stuff potatoes in their car's muffler. 

Try my suggestion with the traffic controller on your router's settings page.

i tried traffic control when u asked about it for the first time the results are same...so i think i should get a new one not dlink thats for sure 

mikrotik's fasttrack still allows for port forwarding, firewall and QoS to be used. Fasttrack works on the connection rather than packets, so once you've filtered the connection you can then accelerate it. Mikrotik's fasttrack isnt CTF as it requires some hardware for it. For example if you tried to use fasttrack on an older router like the RB450G, it will say enabled but no packet will get fasttracked.

Dont get confused between broadcom's hardware acceleration vs everyone elses. Everyone else has some hardware to perform the acceleration, broadcom doesnt so they use some tricks like CTF, bypassing the linux kernel, etc.

12 hours ago, brwainer said:

Puma 6 is a chipset made by Intel, not a piece of code. Yes, that chipset was found to be buggy and there's at least one lawsuit about it, but not all modems use it. There are other DOCSIS3 chipsets out there. Unless you have some other examples, I have to say that your claim reeks of BS.

This.  There's a HUGE amount of DOCSIS3 modems out there and many don't use Puma.  Though a good number of high end models do.

Allllllllso, the problem has been found to only effect Router/Combo devices based on Puma.  If you disable the router functions in a combo device or use a 'pure' modem that has no router/AP functions built in, the chip has no problem operating correctly.  Hence why my Puma 6 powered Hitron CDA3-20 has no problems keeping low latency, having no jitter issues, and still pumping out 250mbps.

That all said, this thread is clearly about a cheap, low spec router that can't push 100mbit through NAT.  So I don't see why this thread isn't now about router recommendations and nothing else.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:56 PM, AshleyAshes said:

This.  There's a HUGE amount of DOCSIS3 modems out there and many don't use Puma.  Though a good number of high end models do.

Allllllllso, the problem has been found to only effect Router/Combo devices based on Puma.  If you disable the router functions in a combo device or use a 'pure' modem that has no router/AP functions built in, the chip has no problem operating correctly.  Hence why my Puma 6 powered Hitron CDA3-20 has no problems keeping low latency, having no jitter issues, and still pumping out 250mbps.

That all said, this thread is clearly about a cheap, low spec router that can't push 100mbit through NAT.  So I don't see why this thread isn't now about router recommendations and nothing else.

yeah about your last line yesterday i wanted to try unreal tournament...its about 10gb in size...i started the download speed was around 35mbps and then i went into router settings and rebooted the router....it takes 1 minute to reboot and after that the download resumed and during this whole download my speed did not drop below 80mbps maximum went upto 95mbps 

this is where it gets interesting...this behaviour how it starts pushing 80-90mbps for a full download and after the download completes the speed drops down to 30-35mbps