Magnetic fields could super-cool your gaming PC, nuclear reactors

Youbetternot

What did he say 'Magnetic fields" super cooling a PC? Yes indeed I said Magnetic Fields could supercool your PC, so this happen because a group of researches taught about it and said, well when you press down food on the pan the heat from the metal is transfer to the heat, which means pushing down makes the pan/metal cooler. So they want to use strong magnetic field and a flood of metal nanoparticles, to make liquid cooling systems many times more effective. So the basic idea is, if you flood a coolant with a slurry of magnetic nanoparticles, then subject that suspension to a magnetic field, the nanoparticles can help affect the flow of the whole fluid, helping to make cooling more effective. Read more if your interested in the article

magnetic-cooling-header.jpg

As any good chef knows, mechanical stress aids the transfer of thermodynamic energy in a closed system. They employ this knowledge every time they press an ingredient down into a pan or grill, greatly increasing the efficiency of heat transfer from metal to food. We usually see that interaction exclusively from one perspective, that of using the pan to add heat to the food. But it would be just as accurate to say that we are using the food to remove heat from the pan — and by pressing it down we assist it in “cooling” the metal. Now a team of researchers are using this fundamental fact, along with a strong magnetic field and a flood of metal nanoparticles, to make liquid cooling systems many times more effective.

The basic premise is fairly simple: if you flood a coolant with a slurry of magnetic nanoparticles, then subject that suspension to a magnetic field, the nanoparticles can help affect the flow of the whole fluid, helping to make cooling more effective. It’s a basic enough idea that it can scale to virtually any size for an applicable type of cooling rig. Anything cooled by a liquid is an immediate candidate — and to continue advancing at such a pace, more and more of our technology will require a heat-sink fluid more efficient than air.

Creating the magnetic field will get much more expensive at larger scales however, and this tech could be suited to miniaturization by decreasing the volume of liquid necessary to cool a particular heat source. These nanoparticles are made of magnetite, though, the most powerfully magnetic of all naturally occurring minerals; they do provide enough magnetic grip even for large jobs like cooling nuclear reactors.

source: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171404-magnetic-fields-could-super-cool-your-gaming-pc-nuclear-reactors

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Watercooling is effective enough IMO.

Air cooling is effective enough IMO

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

nothing is ever effective enough...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Phase change is effective enough IMO..

On topic, aren't magnets bad for your pc?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

It is for what I require, but the extreme people are using Liquid Nitrogen to cool stuff enough for what they require, and then there are the Phase Change coolers being used also, I think that knocking a few degrees off the temps on a water loop isn't going to bring it into the ballpark for the next stage of enthusiast use, or the water would freeze.

The good part is that it is more effective, which gives cooler temperature and according to the article makes you use less resource by decreasing the volume of liquid necessary to cool a heat source aka your cpu.

decreasing the volume of liquid necessary to cool a particular heat source.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

It will be awhile before we see this stuff. I am certain the nuclear reactors are much higher on the "intended users" list.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Depending on how miniature this can be we could be looking a a reveloution in the mobile, tablet, laptop world. I also see this being huge for large scale industrial cooling. I have to say though, I am unsure of how well and electromagnetic field based cooler would be inside a computer. Also, I feel like water cooling will still hang around, if anything for the looks.

oh yea, just what I want, a nice magnetic field inside my PC next to my RAM, SSD's and HDD's, sounds like a top notch idea!

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

oh yea, just what I want, a nice magnetic field inside my PC next to my RAM, SSD's and HDD's, sounds like a top notch idea!

You could say the same for water cooling.

However if the magnet is not powerful enough and well isolated from the data, it could be a efficient way.