I'm looking for a basic external firewall for home use.

Melano

So, I'm not sure where this goes, but I think its networking. Right now we have our Modem into a shitty linksys router. I plan to move to a netgear unit i bought before but returned due to price. I want it for uh, personal reasons so.

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

Cisco ASA 5525-X (Jk. that shit is too expensive for personal use xD)

I currently roll with an older Cisco ASA so i'm just here to follow since i need a new one aswell :3

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

PFSENSE box?

Magical Pineapples

EDIT: for some strange reason this post ended up in the wrong thread.

Edited by NZLaurence
Wrong place

39 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

Cisco ASA 5525-X (Jk. that shit is too expensive for personal use xD)

I currently roll with an older Cisco ASA so i'm just here to follow since i need a new one aswell :3

Amateur!

Home users need at least 2x Firepower 9300 with 3 blades each.

(Got an ASAv myself :P)

Probably the easiest firewall to setup and manage would be one from Ubiquiti, or if you have a spare PC you want to put to good use and want to learn you could setup a pfSense box.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Amateur!

Home users need at least 2x Firepower 9300 with 3 blades each.

(Got an ASAv myself :P)

Probably the easiest firewall to setup and manage would be one from Ubiquiti, or if you have a spare PC you want to put to good use and want to learn you could setup a pfSense box.

I Did actually run the 5525-X on my home network while i was setting up my new "Home Datacenter" :3

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

Use an old pc and setup pfSense.

Or go really hardcore: take an old pc, install linux and setup network interfaces, forwarding and ip-tables by hand. (and while you are doing that, just setup a full router from scratch, here is a guide )

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

1 hour ago, Melano said:

You have totally lost me.

Since you don't seem to have much knowledge on firewall devices and products, maybe you can explain why you need a firewall and what exactly you hope this firewall will do?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Microsoft figured people may try that, and often uses the same IP for telemetry and security updates n' stuff, so good luck with that. Before sinking hours in something that probably won't work, you should watch a few videos from barnacules on the subject. 

If you want your OS not to spy on you, use linux (I recommend Ubuntu for beginners, but read this first). You can run Windows in a vm just for games. I would even dare to block all traffic for the vm, except for the traffic you need for your games. Since you are in a vm, I would just take regular snapshots, not login as admin on Windows (what everyone should do) and don't care about antivirus and updates (except for the ones needed for your games). If you do have a virus in your vm, just go back to a previous snapshot, and make sure you don't get the virus again. If you use NAT for your vm, then all traffic goes through your linux, so you can also apply filters there, Windows will think it's alone on the network, some viruses won't work because they know they are in a vm, and your linux host will be the only one knowing about your windows vm.

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

On 6/8/2017 at 9:13 AM, MrUnknownEMC said:

PFSENSE box?

This 100% Can use an Old Desktop computer and create your own for the price of a $5.00 NIC. 

https://www.pfsense.org/download/

Linus video: 

Non Linus Long How to video: This video will show you how to set it up and show The features. 

10 hours ago, networkdown said:

Check out spybot anti-beacon. I use this on all my winodws 10 machines. https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

He runs the setup starting at 10:45 in the video. 

Or you can do at router level, blocking via DNS.  This is simpler solution and all devices on network will have this network change presume you are using router DNS. You can try other solutions such as IPFIRE which is linux base version. 

Magical Pineapples