Windows 10 on Windows RT 8.1 Device

So I just got a Samsung Ativ GT-P8510 (second hand) for my studies (#studentbudget) and I noticed I cannot get a lot of applications due to the restrictions on Windows RT 8.1. It only allows app installations from the windows store which doesn't have any of the essential apps, such as: Google Chrome; Firefox, Adobe Reader, etc.

Can anyone here advise whether or not Windows 10 will work on it or not. I don't want to mess around without being sure.

You should be able to upgrade it to Win 10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool.  The download site supports creating install media for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.  If anything, you should be able to reinstall a regular full blown version of Windows 8.1 using the tool.  Just make sure that you have copies of all your files and stuff so that you can put them back on the machine after the fix.  Doing this fix will completely wipe everything from the drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

You should be able to upgrade it to Win 10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool.  The download site supports creating install media for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.  If anything, you should be able to reinstall a regular full blown version of Windows 8.1 using the tool.  Just make sure that you have copies of all your files and stuff so that you can put them back on the machine after the fix.  Doing this fix will completely wipe everything from the drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Agreed. 8.1 is probably better for the touch interface, and is cheaper when buying a key (use reddit or kinguin OP).

1 hour ago, Anjelllo said:

Agreed. 8.1 is probably better for the touch interface, and is cheaper when buying a key (use reddit or kinguin OP).

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

I left out a major point.

I've been searching and it seems like it won't work. The tablet model I have has a ARM processor, and it has a different architecture to what regular windows 8/8.1 runs on. This means that regular desktop apps won't work without an emulator which would be fine, but the Windows RT 8.1 app store has so little apps, and I think there is no longer support for it. 

There is also a Windows 10 version called the IoT Core version which can run on Raspberry Pi's but it disables the touchscreen.

Bummer, I was hoping that at least one version of Windoze would be able to help.  Just out of shitz and giggles, have you tried to google the Windoze 8.1 RT just to see if there is a download for it somewhere?

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Bummer, I was hoping that at least one version of Windoze would be able to help.  Just out of shitz and giggles, have you tried to google the Windoze 8.1 RT just to see if there is a download for it somewhere?

Just scanned over several articles that claim Win 10 would/maybe work with an ARM processor.  If the pooter does not work as it is, what have you got to loose by trying?  Must might want to give Win 10 a shot after all.

5 hours ago, Abdul Wahab said:

So I just got a Samsung Ativ GT-P8510 (second hand) for my studies (#studentbudget) and I noticed I cannot get a lot of applications due to the restrictions on Windows RT 8.1. It only allows app installations from the windows store which doesn't have any of the essential apps, such as: Google Chrome; Firefox, Adobe Reader, etc.

Can anyone here advise whether or not Windows 10 will work on it or not. I don't want to mess around without being sure.

Your system is powered by an ARM based CPU, and Windows 10 cannot run currently on those.

Also, even if you wait, and assume you can even get Windows 10 for ARM (might be like Windows RT where only large OEMs have it), you have no guaranty that it will work on your system to any level due to what the CPU you have supports and not support. Microsoft aims that Windows 10 for ARM runs on a Snapdragon 835 or later, based on current information of what we know.

19 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Just scanned over several articles that claim Win 10 would/maybe work with an ARM processor.  If the pooter does not work as it is, what have you got to loose by trying?  Must might want to give Win 10 a shot after all.

I'm going to wait and see if it's supported, right now I'm only using the device for study notes and it has Office apps pre-installed. It just bums me out that the available apps aren't that great and support for them are dying (if not already dead)

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Your system is powered by an ARM based CPU, and Windows 10 cannot run currently on those.

Also, even if you wait, and assume you can even get Windows 10 for ARM (might be like Windows RT where only large OEMs have it), you have no guaranty that it will work on your system to any level due to what the CPU you have supports and not support. Microsoft aims that Windows 10 for ARM runs on a Snapdragon 835 or later, based on current information of what we know.

I hope that it runs on the processor. But if not there are work arounds but it might not be worth the hassle