Threadripper 16c/32t rumored to cost $849

DarkBlade2117

If recent reports hold true, this entry-level Threadripper 1998 will come in at $849. Now, let's be honest - this seems like an immensely optimistic value, undercutting even Intel's 10-core 7900X, which has been announced at $999 (in tray quantities.) That's over 6 more cores and 12 more threads for $150 less. And let's just say that AMD's IPC isn't that much lower than Intel's to justify such an aggressive undercutting, a high-volume approach to the market.

If true, that would really catch Intel off guard and I wouldn't be all that surprised if they lowered their prices of Sky-Lake X further. I wouldn't be to shocked if it made them scramble even more.

ource: https://www.techpowerup.com/234114/amds-entry-level-16-core-32-thread-threadripper-to-reportedly-cost-usd-849

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

ur l8 m8 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, that's one dead X299 platform in that case...

Unless Intel becomes consumer friendly and competitive (which will likely not happen, knowing intel...)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That would be an incredible price, but there are I few concerns I have with the Threadripper platform. Primarily, from what I've seen pretty much all Threadripper boards require 2 8 pin CPU power cables, because Threadripper is two 1800Xs put to together, and not many PSUs come with two 8pin cables, so you will have to get custom cables. The second is that the CPU itself is massive, because it's two 1800Xs put together, I'm not sure if it will be compatible with virtually all CPU coolers because of the much larger size.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

That would be an incredible price, but there are I few concerns I have with the Threadripper platform. Primarily, from what I've seen pretty much all Threadripper boards require 2 8 pin CPU power cables, because Threadripper is two 1800Xs put to together, and not many PSUs come with two 8pin cables, so you will have to get custom cables. The second is that the CPU itself is massive, because it's two 1800Xs put together, I'm not sure if it will be compatible with virtually all CPU coolers because of the much larger size.

you won't need to plug both if you aren't overclocking and /or using a 16 core cpu

Just now, cj09beira said:

you won't need to plug both if you aren't overclocking and /or using a 16 core cpu

But assuming you are doing both that concern is valid, and the CPU cooler is still relevant

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well, you have $850 to spend on a compatible cooler and still end up cheaper than a 7960x. There's also a pretty solid chance that the 7960x would also require two 8 EPS cables and many high end PSUs (which is what should be used with a 16c/32t cpu) will also have dual EPS cables.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Well, you have $850 to spend on a compatible cooler and still end up cheaper than a 7960x. There's also a pretty solid chance that the 7960x would also require two 8 EPS cables and many high end PSUs (which is what should be used with a 16c/32t cpu) will also have dual EPS cables.

Yeah, I mentioned that most don;t though. I have an 850W and I only have one. But what about my concern about CPU coolers

Just now, Max_Settings said:

But assuming you are doing both that concern is valid, and the CPU cooler is still relevant

but again, if you are going to use a 16 core cpu/even a 10/12 for that matter you would need a good power supply.

the cpu part: we still dont know where they have the dies, and depending on where they have them it might not be a problem, we have to wait for more info

13 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yeah, I mentioned that most don;t though. I have an 850W and I only have one. But what about my concern about CPU coolers

14 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Compatible coolers will be released. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

If true, that would really catch Intel off guard and I wouldn't be all that surprised if they lowered their prices of Sky-Lake X further. I wouldn't be to shocked if it made them scramble even more.

ource: https://www.techpowerup.com/234114/amds-entry-level-16-core-32-thread-threadripper-to-reportedly-cost-usd-849

I highly doubt it will catch Intel off guard as Intel as shit lined up and ready to go as they are just doing minimal steps or as small steps as possible keeping ahead of AMD. This will be confirmed in the next releases.

Intel was 100-percent caught off guard by threadripper.  The shear fact that the 7960X probably won't come out until next year and the 14/16 core cpus might also be delayed screams they just announced something to one up AMD.  There is also the noise of a 2066-v3 socket just for the TDP that those cpus are going to require.  It's a botched release anyway you look at it.  I am an Intel fan, but I have to hand it to AMD, they are doing good thus far. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

16 minutes ago, yathis said:

I highly doubt it will catch Intel off guard as Intel as shit lined up and ready to go as they are just doing minimal steps or as small steps as possible keeping ahead of AMD. This will be confirmed in the next releases.

Intel doesn't even know what they're releasing yet. They've got names but no official TDPs, Clock speeds ect are confirmed. Even the board partners weren't expecting an 18c CPU and the board partners are confused as fuck right now about what is going on

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

20 minutes ago, yathis said:

Look a little closer. Intel's not just caught off guard, it's flailing. Already.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

22 minutes ago, yathis said:

they were cought  totally of guard, proven by the fact that intel didn't give any details on their 18 cores chip, they kept the pricing pretty high, which i think is to try and give the impression that their hardware is better, which is debatable at best.

the pricing done by amd is so low that intel will probably not even bother compete with.

it seems to me that threadripper will be enough to make a good dent in intel's market, and preparing the soil for zen 2 with probably higher clocks and ipc, which should make it easier for those that really need good ipc for some reason or another.

btw  i saw a video the other day of Steve Jobs talking about the problem of being a company controlling a monopoly and what he said was that because they already have most of the market, people that are great at making good products dont have much to off the company so they dont get promoted as much, on the other hand marketing is still very useful so those guys are promoted and what you get is a company run by market people so when a competitor shows up meaning business the guys that would know what product to release aren't running the company so its easier for the competitor to steal market share 

Oh maybe for Threadripper high core count stuff, but thats all industry shit, not us folks here. Them folks over there, industry types dont care about money. But what I am saying is Intels next tick tock thingy they do, will be bigger steps there and everywhere, I am pretty confident about that.

I view it as why would Intel jump so far ahead without any reason too. They can crawl and profit with no need to jump. They jump they lose money.

13 minutes ago, yathis said:

Oh maybe for Threadripper high core count stuff, but thats all industry shit, not us folks here. Them folks over there, industry types dont care about money. But what I am saying is Intels next tick tock thingy they do, will be bigger steps there and everywhere, I am pretty confident about that.

I view it as why would Intel jump so far ahead without any reason too. They can crawl and profit with no need to jump. They jump they lose money.

In every single are of the market cost analysis are done. Imagine you are buying 100 pcs 800 bucks each just for the cpu adds up rather quickly boom 8 grand of extra cost, Unless a company runs in an area where profits are really high all. Or its that time of the year where spending money is better for you because you pay less tax

20 minutes ago, yathis said:

X299 and Sky-Lake X isn't going to launch until at least 2Q 2018 my man. Their next Tick Tock isn't coming until 2019 at the earliest

12 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

X299 and Sky-Lake X isn't going to launch until at least 2Q 2018 my man. Their next Tick Tock isn't coming until 2019 at the earliest

That is exactly my point. They got plenty of time to throw in major advances when the time comes to release. They probably got shit up their sleeve and waiting to be unleashed unto us measly peasants.