Build Advice?

Go to solution Solved by AV Techy,

So here's my thoughts:

For the Pump and Reservoir I would personally (and did) get a Pump/Res combo, something like the D5 from EKWB is not a bad way to go, personally I am very happy with mine. The EK-XRES 140 is good but you may want a larger reservoir for the good looks (if that's your thing), so you could buy a separate pump and larger reservoir and connect them yourself - not very hard to do.

If you decide to go for an EKWB block for your GPU, please invest in some black thermal pads - the thermal pads they come with are bright blue and it's not a good look...

For fans, if your looking for silence over cost then the more expensive Noctua or Vardar fans will serve you well. A push pull setup is optimal but just be careful of the amount of the case it takes up, 2x25mm fans and a radiator (perhaps 44mm) is quite chunky - make sure you check with with your cases' GPU clearance (whichever case you end up getting) if you're dead set on Push/Pull. But the benefits of Push/Pull compared to the cost of the fans is not really enough to justify (essentially upwards of 5 degrees C) unless you have the money to splash and room in the case - but the cash can go on better things...

EDIT: for fan speed look for RPMs of around 1500rpm, but 2000rpm is not a bad way to go with a good fan curve to prevent full throttle until the 80 degrees C mark. And the rules of a Push/Pull setup are very few, essentially as long as the air is flowing the the same direction it's fine - you don't need to worry about the placement of a Push/Pull configuration in the case (as long as you have the clearance it's fine). But like I said, it's not really worth the money...

The case you are looking at isn't exactly the most appropriate for heavy water-cooling. MAX supported radiators are 1 x 280mm and 1 x 120mm. With all those cores and a high overclock with a GPU overclock I'd look more towards 2 x 280mm radiators. So you might want to revise the case - personally I don't think having 120mm radiators in full ATX cases looks good anyway (just personal preference), something to think about perhaps...

And since your into your RGB lighting, I recently purchased a Cablemod magnetic RGB full kit with some extra RGB strips - well worth the money, they really are a premium lighting set (at least they feel and look that way). If you buy the full kit they come with all the cables you'd need like a Y-splitter and extender connections. And magnetic is certainly the way to go!

I think I've answered most if not all of your queries. Hope you have a smooth build and it all goes to plan!

Hello all!

I'm finally purchasing my build piece by piece and i have some questions now. I posted on this forum months ago asking for some advice on radiator specs and people suggested that, for cooling both my CPU and GPU (both of which i want to heavily overclock for production purposes), I should use a 360mm radiator. That sounds great, it even gives me the option of cooling a second GPU! the problem is this: the NZXT S340 Elite. I like it. The only good place (seemingly) for a radiator in that case is in the front as the intake, which is what i wanted my radiator to be anyways. The problem is that it's limited to a 280mm rad! I feel like that's enough for an R7 1700 OC and a 1080 ti OC but I'm nervous. I'd also like to set up the radiator in the push/pull form since i hear that's the best one. What are the rules on the fans in a push/pull set up? Like RPM and the like. 

Build Plan (Tentative)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (heavy OC)

GPU: 1080 TI (Heavy OC as well)

MOBO: Asrock X370 Taichi

RAM: 16GB (Will be 32 at some point) G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 rated

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W Platinum Rated (Future Improvement oriented)

Case: NZXT S340 Elite White (will change if i have to but i crave RGB and pretty things)

Pump: Recommendation?

Res: Moar Recommendations?

Fans: EVEN MOAR RECOMMENDATIONS?!

Thank you in advance to the LC Wizards of LTT!

You could have two rads it wont do any harm and the PSU will last about 4-5 years and a 650 will be but another case would be good but not necessary use EK's website for the pre-build specs, then you have your LC build done and watch up on guides and beware you may get the bug 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

12 minutes ago, CarolinaRoots said:

Hello all!

I'm finally purchasing my build piece by piece and i have some questions now. I posted on this forum months ago asking for some advice on radiator specs and people suggested that, for cooling both my CPU and GPU (both of which i want to heavily overclock for production purposes), I should use a 360mm radiator. That sounds great, it even gives me the option of cooling a second GPU! the problem is this: the NZXT S340 Elite. I like it. The only good place (seemingly) for a radiator in that case is in the front as the intake, which is what i wanted my radiator to be anyways. The problem is that it's limited to a 280mm rad! I feel like that's enough for an R7 1700 OC and a 1080 ti OC but I'm nervous. I'd also like to set up the radiator in the push/pull form since i hear that's the best one. What are the rules on the fans in a push/pull set up? Like RPM and the like. 

Build Plan (Tentative)

Case: NZXT S340 Elite White (will change if i have to but i crave RGB and pretty things)

What 1080 ti? 

20 minutes ago, Max_Tech said:

What 1080 ti? 

A Founder's Edition. Is there a specific one that I should get?

1 minute ago, CarolinaRoots said:

A Founder's Edition. Is there a specific one that I should get?

Well founders addition generally look cooler in my opinion but they cost more and perform the same with worse temps I think so... One other thing your ram is quiet tall so it may be difficult to find a CPU cooler that has no clearance issues.

2 minutes ago, Max_Tech said:

Well founders addition generally look cooler in my opinion but they cost more and perform the same with worse temps I think so... One other thing your ram is quiet tall so it may be difficult to find a CPU cooler that has no clearance issues.

I'm planning on liquid cooling the GPU and CPU. Will there still be clearance issues? 

7 hours ago, CarolinaRoots said:

I'm planning on liquid cooling the GPU and CPU. Will there still be clearance issues? 

Depends on the cooler, I am no expert of liquid cooling. 

2 hours ago, Max_Tech said:

Depends on the cooler, I am no expert of liquid cooling. 

They all seem to be pretty low profile... i could see tubing being in the way if I make the loop poorly though.

15 hours ago, CarolinaRoots said:

Hello all!

Build Plan (Tentative)

You don't have to get a single 360mm radiator, you can do the 240/280mm in front and a 120mm in the back to equal the 360mm radiator or with the 280mm, just over 360mm radiator cooling performance. For the pump get a D5.  For the fans you can get Akasa Apache or the rebranded ones from Rosewill called hyperborea 120mm & 140mm. The 140mm ones are a bit loud at 12v but it is more air flow you hear than motor noise. they have since gone up in price since i last bought them, got them for $9 each on amazon a couple years aback.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

So here's my thoughts:

For the Pump and Reservoir I would personally (and did) get a Pump/Res combo, something like the D5 from EKWB is not a bad way to go, personally I am very happy with mine. The EK-XRES 140 is good but you may want a larger reservoir for the good looks (if that's your thing), so you could buy a separate pump and larger reservoir and connect them yourself - not very hard to do.

If you decide to go for an EKWB block for your GPU, please invest in some black thermal pads - the thermal pads they come with are bright blue and it's not a good look...

For fans, if your looking for silence over cost then the more expensive Noctua or Vardar fans will serve you well. A push pull setup is optimal but just be careful of the amount of the case it takes up, 2x25mm fans and a radiator (perhaps 44mm) is quite chunky - make sure you check with with your cases' GPU clearance (whichever case you end up getting) if you're dead set on Push/Pull. But the benefits of Push/Pull compared to the cost of the fans is not really enough to justify (essentially upwards of 5 degrees C) unless you have the money to splash and room in the case - but the cash can go on better things...

EDIT: for fan speed look for RPMs of around 1500rpm, but 2000rpm is not a bad way to go with a good fan curve to prevent full throttle until the 80 degrees C mark. And the rules of a Push/Pull setup are very few, essentially as long as the air is flowing the the same direction it's fine - you don't need to worry about the placement of a Push/Pull configuration in the case (as long as you have the clearance it's fine). But like I said, it's not really worth the money...

The case you are looking at isn't exactly the most appropriate for heavy water-cooling. MAX supported radiators are 1 x 280mm and 1 x 120mm. With all those cores and a high overclock with a GPU overclock I'd look more towards 2 x 280mm radiators. So you might want to revise the case - personally I don't think having 120mm radiators in full ATX cases looks good anyway (just personal preference), something to think about perhaps...

And since your into your RGB lighting, I recently purchased a Cablemod magnetic RGB full kit with some extra RGB strips - well worth the money, they really are a premium lighting set (at least they feel and look that way). If you buy the full kit they come with all the cables you'd need like a Y-splitter and extender connections. And magnetic is certainly the way to go!

I think I've answered most if not all of your queries. Hope you have a smooth build and it all goes to plan!

On 6/7/2017 at 10:16 AM, Aloe Vera said:

So here's my thoughts:

Thank you for your great reply! Since the case isn't optimal for a watercooled build, I'll have to sacrifice silence for performance. Is there a specific Radiator that you would recommend? 

No problem at all, happy to help.

My suggestion for radiators would be to look at well known high quality manufacturers such as EKWB, I've also heard good things about Alphacool products.

Once you've got one you should look at the size that can fit in the case - not forgetting the thickness of the radiator.

You may find that EKWB radiators don't have the Inlets and Outlets in the right positions for your ideal build - all their current radiators have fitting connectors on one side of the radiator on the same face like this: https://goo.gl/PVWgg2. This means you wouldn't be able to connect tubing in one side and out the other if you wanted to. However Alphacool offer different styles of radiators such as this one: https://goo.gl/pLCjIx . So that gives you a different option for your loop - not better, just different.

It really all comes down to finding a quality manufacturer and a size and style of radiator that suits your build best. You can do your own leg work finding the best manufacturers, but if that's something you want to avoid then EKWB and Alphacool should do you well - whatever you do, when you get your radiator make sure you give it a good rinse to get any potential left over manufacturing material out.

Please post any more questions you have, I'm sure we can all assist you in finding the answers!