Best VR Headset for iPhone 7

So for my birthday my daughter gets me a Utopia 360 headset from a local store. It was cool except I couldn't get a good focus and the Bluetooth remote had its phone selection button jammed on the IOS selection side. At least I have an iPhone 7. The headset had a rubber capped 'finger' that extends with the top action button to tap the screen for next, but that didn't work. So I returned it for a store gift card credit.

I want to check out mobile VR no matter how limited that is. I know that iPhone screens aren't the best resolution for mobile VR but that's what I have.

So I started looking at sub-$50 VR headset reviews. I'm narrowing down to these 3 so far so what do you think?

1. Freefly VR Beyond 2016 model with Crossfire "Capacitive" Dual Triggers - $49.90 Amazon (they make a classic Freefly VR w/Bluetooth Controller for Android only too)

81jaz5n0LYL._SX522_.jpg

I love how the mounting plate is super adjustable for iPhone 6 up to iPhone 7 size phones. Molded rubber pads are adjustable for almost any phone (4.7"-6.1" screen size).The hinges are spring loaded to account for thick phone cases like my Otterbox Defender without taking it out of the case. There are air vents too that help prevent fogging. It just seems like a clever design.

My only concern is the fixed 65mm IPD lenses, with no focus adjustment. The lenses are up to 120° FOV - "the largest field of view in mobile VR." Freefly claims; "The reason is that we have wide diameter lenses, who greatly improve the feeling of immersivity (as you’re not feeling like you’re looking through 2 holes in a box as with many other VR headsets). These wide lenses have a second advantage that they create an optical flexible IPD as when the IPD is a few mm wider or narrower, the lenses still remain in focus." Do these fixed IPD/focus claims have merit?

2. Canbor VR - $25.99 Amazon

715bW99pDDL._SX522_.jpg

These are great because both lenses individually adjust IPD and focus for each eye with sliders on top. It also has a clear anti-blue light plate that your phone rests against. You can buy them with or without a Bluetooth controller. For iPhone though a Bluetooth controller may only be good for movie/video playback, if that. This VR headset overall seems like the safest bet to try out.

3. ETVR 3D Headset (3rd Generation) - $25.99

etvr-z4-mini-black-117-1.jpg

I like the phone mounting system using an adjustable compression type clip. Just slide in the phone from above with the lid open 35°. This has IPD adjustment and a combined lens focus adjustment.

nothing, 768p in 2016 is a huge joke, you will see pixel if you pay attention, i can even see pixels on my 7 plus if i go close to the screen. 

if you want to try Mobile vr with 768p display i suggest you buy one from ebay, or the cheapest you can find on Amazon. 

5 minutes ago, Steve N. Mavronis said:

2. Canbor VR - $25.99 Amazon

that looks good 

Yeah this is entry level just to mess around with the effect. I have a 55" HDTV that is 3D ready with glasses and looks so good with a 3D blu-ray movie on the screen just like at the theater.

I like the Canbor VR too. I wear glasses and have astigmatism.

The iPhone's res in itself is a joke, not to mention using it for VR...

11 minutes ago, Steve N. Mavronis said:

I want to check out mobile VR no matter how limited that is. I know that iPhone screens aren't the best resolution for mobile VR but that's what I have.

Its worse than not the best.

As @nerdslayer1 said if you are set on trying it get a cheap one as getting a more expensive one isn't worth it.

Besides iPhone pixel quality disadvantage with VR headsets, I'd still like an opinion on Freefly's take on choosing to go with a fixed IPD (pupil distance) and fixed focus wide angle lens headset design. Does their justification make sense? They say it does but I'm not so sure:

The reason is that we have wide diameter lenses, who greatly improve the feeling of immersivity (as you’re not feeling like you’re looking through 2 holes in a box as with many other VR headsets). These wide lenses have a second advantage that they create an optical flexible IPD as when the IPD is a few mm wider or narrower, the lenses still remain in focus."

Otherwise I may order the cheaper Canbor VR headset just to play around with watching 3D videos. Waiting too for Apple to come out with their expected augmented reality system and see what's that is like. I hear they are partnering with HTC.