Does port forwarding make my internet bills higher?

Agris

Hey!

So I want to start a minecraft server but to do that I need to make a port forward stuff.. So does it do something to make my internet bills higher or something? 

No, the only reason your bill would be higher is if you have data caps per month and are already close to those caps in which case running the server might use more data and push you over the limit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

No, the only reason your bill would be higher is if you have data caps.

Like if I have a limit how much I can use the internet?

Not unless you have a really shitty ISP... I've never heard anything about them charging for it.... We don't know your ISP so let us know it, and/or look at the contract for your internet package to see if that is mentioned.

Whenever they don't want people to do it, they usually block most ports from their end.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Unless your ISP has specific rules on hosting servers, it won't increase your bills. If you have data limits, running a server may use them up quicker, causing the bills to increase if you go over the limits, but that's due to data usage, not port forwarding itself. 

If you have an "unlimited" amount of data you can send/recieve, it should not interfere with bills.

It's just like... You have a house with 1000+ doors. And you open a single one, for a special gurlyfriend. Should not cost anything moar. But the downside is... If your gurlyfriends dad finds the same door, and you are "sleeping" at night, strange things might happen.

Just now, squirrl said:

Not unless you have a really shitty ISP... I've never heard anything about them charging for it.... We don't know your ISP so let us know it, and/or look at the contract for your internet package to see if that is mentioned.

Whenever they don't want people to do it, they usually block most ports from their end.

Let me see where it's at

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

If you have an "unlimited" amount of data you can send/recieve, it should not interfere with bills.

It's just like... You have a house with 1000+ doors. And you open a single one, for a special gurlyfriend. Should not cost anything moar. But the downside is... If your gurlyfriends dad finds the same door, and you are "sleeping" at night, strange things might happen.

lol

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Yeah I have an unlimited data amount.

Then the only "risk" by port forwarding has been mentioned in my previous post. Only open the door if your other security is good enough, and you should not have to worry at all about internet bills from your ISP.

1 minute ago, Agris said:

Yeah I have an unlimited data amount.

Then you're good to go. No higher internet bill, but your power bill might go up slightly from running a server 24/7, but that's it :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Then you're good to go. No higher internet bill, but your power bill might go up slightly from running a server 24/7, but that's it :)

I'll run it from my pc just a server to play with my annoying friends.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

But can I remove it any time?  If it turns out to not be working .

4 minutes ago, HeavyFtw said:

lol

Naamloos.png.87612eda54be96df57d2f6c08f6461e9.png

Just now, Agris said:

But can I remove it any time  If it turns out to not be working 

Yah, you're good to go like I said :)

If you need help let us know, plenty of people on the forums who've setup Minecraft servers before.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Guys?

The guy is showing where to put those numbers BUT he has like different everything and I don't know where to but that everything ... Can someone help meh..?

The good quality picture is my router control panel.

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Name: xXx Or whatever you want.

WAN port: 25565

LAN IP Address: You need to find your own local IP. There are lots of tutorials out there, to find it. (the listed one in the green screenshot is most likely incorrect for you)

LAN ports: 25565

Options: ok.

LAN IP Address: You need to find your own local IP. There are lots of tutorials out there, to find it. (the listed one in the green screenshot is most likely incorrect for you)

Huge thanks man 

19 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Tried joining with my IPV4 worked, tried joining with my public IP does not work, that means that no-one can join except me.

Just now, Agris said:

Tried joining with my IPV4 worked, tried joining with my public IP does not work, that means that no-one can join except me.

No, it's supposed to work that way. You'll need to join using your Public IP from outside your local network.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Check if the server uses that same port as in the example. Check if you entered the correct local IP adress. Your modem should be configured correctly. If it doesn't work, ask for specific minecraft servers help in a new fresh topic.

So basically I was checking if I have done everything right and there is no virtual server [dissapiered] set up wtf..

Did you also press "add"?

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Did you also press "add"?

I did.