How to smooth record gameplay?

AT0MAC

I have a GTX1070 based system and would like to record some of the games I play.

I have tried ShadowPlay but ended up not looking too good, also tried OBS studio and just do a desktop grab, also not really great.

So far the best results have been with an external USB3.0 AverMedia U3 C710, but I guess my products there is limited by the GPU/CPU combo I have been using.

So far I did it on a i3 3220 with a GTX 1050, but I too have an old Xeon 1270v2 based server with a lot more cores in, so I wonder, would it make sense to buy a strong graphics card for the server, and turn it into my recording PC?

And if so, how to determine what a good encoding graphics card is? I mean, is stream processors / cuda cores important, is it memory throughput like 9gbps, the amount of memory or what?

In the end it might just be easier to get a av.io epiphan HD, but it would also cost way more than just a GPU does...

My Gaming PC: 27833

Shadowplay is the best recorder you'll get. It's built into the graphics card and barely utilizes the CPU. If you have an i3, You should probably get a better CPU.

How bad is bad ?

I've used shadowplay few months, the results are perfect for me

and yes, I've used i3 3220, and 750Ti

at this point, it's the recorder issue, it's probably your game is just too "heavy" while gaming and recording at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Shadowplay is the best recorder you'll get. It's built into the graphics card and barely utilizes the CPU. If you have an i3, You should probably get a better CPU.

The system I play on is a i5 6500 overclocked to 4.32GHz with 16GB CL10 Corsair Dominator RAM and the mentioned GTX 1070 card.

One of my many extra computers is a 3220 with GTX 1050.

But I also among others have a Xeon 1270v2 with right now a very old Quadro card in that could be upgraded to something much better and then, via the U3 external HDMI grabber be a seperate recording machine.

My question is then, what kind of graphics card would work best in such a scenario?

So far the game I been trying to record is Ghost Recon Wildlands and it is a stupidly heavy game but looks incredible on my primary rig, its like playing a movie. And that experience I would like to record

My Gaming PC: 27833

The problem is Wildlands is a very very GPU and CPU intensive game. I have 6700k @ 4.7Ghz and a 1080 now after I swapped my 1070 out for it and it still makes the 1080 work it socks off. I use shadowplay and really can't fault it. 

4 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

The problem is Wildlands is a very very GPU and CPU intensive game. I have 6700k @ 4.7Ghz and a 1080 now after I swapped my 1070 out for it and it still makes the 1080 work it socks off. I use shadowplay and really can't fault it. 

Yes, shadowplay does good capture.   Something else is wrong if you are getting bad quality output.

Can you describe what is the problem with the capture?