EVGA 1080 SC RMA artifacts

Otrivin

So my pre-ordered 1080 sc went blackscreen/100% fans/unable to post ever again which according to evga is a known issue. 

They happily replaced it with a refurbished card which I received yesterday. To my surprise, inside some crappy brown box with just some bubbles for protection, no papers, while I sent mine in the original box, with the clamshell casing etc.

The card now artifacts like crazy, specifically with flickering square dot patterns like in the pic attached whenever it's trying to render something, from the start menu popping up, to youtube videos(unless hardware acceleration is off) and gaming even more.

My basic troubleshooting involved, debug mode, underclocking, overclocking, testing the vram for errors, reflashing gpu bios, DDU and clean installation of latest drivers, also older drivers from last summer(oddly, with the old ones, there were not any artifacts while browsing even with HA on on chrome) testing the card on my older media pc(replicating the issue) and testing an old HD7700 I had around in my main system to make sure psu, pci slot etc are fine(which they were) Temperatures that I can monitor are all also stellar.

Odd things to mention: Artifacts are completely gone in superposition even with the card clocked as high as she can go, but they are back in full force in 3dmark. Gone in overwatch, but seen in, say Outlast 2 or Dark souls 3 making them completely unplayable.

My mobo is the VIII Hero, and psu the Corsair AX760, irrelevant though since the issue is replicated on my crappy media pc.

I have already started the 2nd rma with evga(it costs 50E to ship to them mind you) but I have a gut feeling this could not be a hardware issue(what are the odds of a 2nd faulty card in an rma?). Both my pcs run windows 10 with the horrible creator's update. But so did my original 1080SC without fault for a couple of weeks...

Any ideas guys what could cause these? Any more test I can do on my own?

Thanks

gZaZXARG.jpg

That's bad vram

i had that with my 1070, thanks Hynix. 

image.jpeg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Thanks for your reply,

Possibly, vmst did not show any errors in any of the vram test I run though.

Here is how your picture looks like on my side. These also flicker around which is extra annoying too.

They do not show in a static background like on my desktop, only when something has to render(?) like a gif, a video, inside a game, moving stuff around in Aero etc.

Capture.JPG

Yes, I got those to when pushing my 770s memory to its absolut freuqency limit. More like a soft limit consisting of about 300MHz worth of speed that works but artifacts after the artifact free maximum.
I would not consideer this a working card (if this is at stock speeds) and tell them about it and send it back (again). I am sorry for you, being without a GPU for so long even though totally not your fault.

Your luck that it is EVGA though. From the horro stories I heard about Asus I wouldn't want to RMA a card to them.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I think I ll demand a brand new card or something, I ll have spent 100 euros on shipping/packing plus the downtime for something that is not my fault. Not to turn this into a rant but shouldn't they be checking and testing their products before shipping? I had cards bought from flea markets that been running 24/7 almost fine 10 years after in various projects...And this is a 700 euros flagship card from the most reputable company too imo...

@GER_T4IGA I thought so, they do show up with the same frequency even in debug mode(reference values) and even at a -400MHz underclock.

1 minute ago, Otrivin said:

I think I ll demand a brand new card or something, I ll have spent 100 euros on shipping/packing plus the downtime for something that is not my fault. Not to turn this into a rant but shouldn't they be checking and testing their products before shipping? I had cards bought from flea markets that been running 24/7 almost fine 10 years after in various projects...And this is a 700 euros flagship card from the most reputable company too imo...

Well you should not be elligable for shipping at least this card(I am not a laywer or something by any means, just my 2 cents).
I don't think however you can demand shit from them. You can ask nicely and be treated nicely. I tend to do the same but I then remind myself of the miserable humaan support guy/gal who has to read and answer this request. It is not their fault and reacting with anger doesn't accelerate the RMA process.
I would send them another calm message stating the problem and asking for shipping label.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Yeah demand was a wrong word on my part and as said, it does not bring anything positive to the table...

They ll probably offer me a label since I had the EAR plan bought too, though they only work with UPS. Living in bananaland, driving to the closest ups point, would cost more than the shipping cost in gas >< !

Just now, Otrivin said:

Yeah demand was a wrong word on my part and as said, it does not bring anything positive to the table...

They ll probably offer me a label since I had the EAR plan bought too, though they only work with UPS. Living in bananaland, driving to the closest ups point, would cost more than the shipping cost in gas >< !

I feel ya.
I have heard great things about EVGA. Tell them about your shipping situation with UPS. Maybe they can do something about it.

3.Use

I replicated the issue in a windows 7 64bit machine too, I guess that crosses out the issue to be software related...Oh well

EVGA is great with RMAs, you will probably have to pay for shipping unless you ask for it.