Serious reasons to buy a console

NewAndy
On 4. kesäkuuta 2017 at 11:04 AM, skywake said:

@tatte

What does it matter what the motivation for the thread is? Nowhere in the thread has anyone asked about whether or not they personally should buy one thing or another. It was just another generic thread where someone hyped up on PCMR asks why consoles exist. And for the most part people have responded fairly rationally. People buy into one platform over another for the exclusive content and unique hardware features. If you personally are interested in neither? Then that's cool. But not everyone wants the same things you do so some people are interested in those things.

I have a gaming PC because I needed a PC for non-gaming stuff and I wanted to play third party titles at 1080p/60fps

I have a Switch because I wanted a portable gaming machine and I like Nintendo's exclusives

If other people want, like and need other things? Then they'll buy into different platforms. If I had a UHD TV and wanted some content for it I'd consider getting an XBOne S. It's ~$290AU with a game and the cheapest UHD BluRay player is ~$320AU. But I don't so I won't. If I really wanted to play Uncharted or whatever else is big on the PS4 right now I'd get a PS4. But I don't so I won't.

Fair enough, I should have posted a generic reply to a generic thread. Unfortunately I can't promise I will behave in the future either, we probably had the longest conversation in the thread which is nice.

Have a good day.

I'm not a huge PC gamer and what games I do play, I mainly play on my PS4 and Switch (of the current console generation). I do have some PC games, but they're mainly older games (Witcher 2, Oblivion, Warcraft III, etc).

For me, consoles are what I grew up with. From the older Nintendo systems, to the Genesis and eventually the Playstation line, those are what I played games on.

Another thing, is that I'm a huge fan of Japanese games, and those tend to have more of a presence on consoles.

I think my Xbox One S purchase was reasonable because:

1. I love and have always been a Forza Motorsport fan, and other than a cheaped out version of the 6th and horizon 3, none are on PC
  2. Halo, I got all of them, while only the 5th one was cross platform, I got the Masterchief collection remastered, which isn't on PC
  3. I got all the Gears of wars, which only the last one is on PC
  4. It has a 4k blu ray player integrated to it, which is neat
  5. Supports Netflix 4K (while you need a KabyLake system to have it on PC
  6. I got it for a great deal (Boxing Day deal) 330$ Canadian (250$USD) with both Halo Masterchief, Halo 5, and Gears of wars 1 to 4 plus the other one, plus an NBA game, brand new...
  7. It's a lot easier to cast stuff... (if I had bought a PC, I would've needed to buy a chromecast seperately and switch the TV input every time)
  8. It came with a controller, which is PC compatible, so I can use it with both platforms, which is neat

As much as I love PC gaming and all, I don't believe I could've built a brand new, 1080P Gaming/4K streaming machine for 330$ Cad with 11 games...

Though, my main rig IS connected to the TV

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

56 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The first one is/was on the PC. And it had an extra chapter to boot. Not sure if they added that in the re-release for the XB1 though

And Halo had the 2 first ones on PC too, but they are pretty hard to get...

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

On 2017-06-01 at 1:07 PM, nitsuga5124 said:

Exclusives and more "user friendly"

I'm a big fan of designated devices. My Xbox1 sits under my tv and acts like a glorified AV hub. Old fashioned. Meh.

On 6/1/2017 at 0:06 PM, IoWii said:

Exclusives.

Yep.

Plus, just site butt on couch, pop game in, and drink some mixed drink with rum and have a blast.  Pretty much the major reason I play on one.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 6/9/2017 at 5:40 PM, PrometheanCat2 said:

I'm a big fan of designated devices. My Xbox1 sits under my tv and acts like a glorified AV hub. Old fashioned. Meh.

Ah yeah, I missed that bit. I like having machines that do one thing and one thing well without much trouble than a machine that either does everything okay, or it's a pain in the ass to make it do things well. I still carry an MP3 player because I don't want to drain my phone's battery.

Nintendo also has A LOT of very gud exclusives :3 Like almost every game is exclusively for one of their consoles. I mean, you cant play zelda, mario, mario kart etc. on anything else other than a nintendo console. (not counting that mobile game)

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.6.2017 at 6:14 PM, McPatsy said:

Nintendo also has A LOT of very gud exclusives :3 Like almost every game is exclusively for one of their consoles. I mean, you cant play zelda, mario, mario kart etc. on anything else other than a nintendo console. (not counting that mobile game)

You have emulators (I believe you can play nintendo games on them (not sure though)) but you won't be able to play the original game. You'll have way too many fps and might not have the right controller.

Exclusives, non-PCMR friendos, ease of use, pure laziness (go from Forza or whatever to YouTube without even thinking about a mouse), and they take up less room than 99% of PC's while being fairly cheap. Let's also not forget that the XB1S competes with 4K UHD BluRay players price-wise and it does MORE than them.

On 6/4/2017 at 4:38 AM, Zaki_Owais said:

It's a lot compfortable than a pc.You can play it from you'r sofa rather than a chair in case of pc.

You can do that with a PC too lmao

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

21 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But the UI/UX outside of gaming is often not designed for a TV.

And while you can use a wireless keyboard/trackpad thing, I find that a hokey solution.

So then just bump scaling up and problem solved...

And if you get the one program that I can't remember the name of (joymouse maybe?), then really you don't need anything other than a controller to control your PC.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

So then just bump scaling up and problem solved...

And if you get the one program that I can't remember the name of (joymouse maybe?), then really you don't need anything other than a controller to control your PC.

That only addresses UI issues, it doesn't address UX issues.

10 hours ago, NewAndy said:

You have emulators (I believe you can play nintendo games on them (not sure though)) but you won't be able to play the original game. You'll have way too many fps and might not have the right controller.

I've found emulators to be a fairly janky solution, and one with questionably legal and moral issues.  The N64 emulator is a great example, and I wonder if they'll ever get it working just right...  Otherwise, Nintendo's hardware solutions translate quite poorly to PC emulation.  Wii U, DS, and 3DS are all fairly good examples of that.

I quite enjoy consoles for the size, ease of use, and electricity usage.  I think some people here forgot that electricity is dramatically more expensive in other countries, and not everyone can afford to run a SLI/CF rig with overclocked parts. 

On 6/9/2017 at 10:31 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

The first one is/was on the PC. And it had an extra chapter to boot. Not sure if they added that in the re-release for the XB1 though

Can you even run the original Gears 1 now on PC with all the Games For Windows Live crap integrated into it? Not counting the remaster released last year.