I just bought a Haswell Xeon e3-1275L for a small workstation build. I was wondering if this cpu has an unlocked multiplier. Anyone out there who has attempted to or has overclocked this thing? 

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not the authority on Xeons by any means, but I don't know offhand of any with an unlocked multiplier. Why would Intel release unlocked Xeons? Xeons are designed for reliability--24/7 uptime for years on end. Overclocking, by its very nature, runs counter to that with stability issues, voltage issues, thermal issues and eventually processor lifetime issues.

That said, Xeons can be overclocked using BCLK, but with Haswell, the BCLK controls much more than just the CPU base clock. Screwing with the BCLK in Haswell by more than a tiny, tiny increment creates stability issues systemwide and can render your PC more or less unusable. I've heard of people milking an extra 100-150MHz out of a Haswell Xeon via BCLK, but that's it.

In short, no, it can't overclock, and if you wanted to overclock, a Xeon was the wrong CPU for it.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

@aisle9

Oh, alright thanks for the info. I was only wondering because my older xeon X5680 build is overclocked to 4 ghz and I wasn't sure if the newer xeons were capable of overclocking. 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats the v3, no the e3-1275l. complety different parts, like 7700k vs 3770k

no v3 is the generation..... like 6700 and 7700, the e3 xeon lineup has cpus named e3-1240 v4 and e3 1240 v5. From what I know the 1275L was only built with the e3 v3 product line.

Moden Xeons, AFAIK, all have locked multipliers.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, TimTam :P said:

no v3 is the generation..... like 6700 and 7700, the e3 xeon lineup has cpus named e3-1240 v4 and e3 1240 v5. From what I know the 1275L was only built with the e3 v3 product line.

then add the v3, thats the full product name.

why did you buy that?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

then add the v3, thats the full product name.

why did you buy that?

sorry, i thought it was implied :/ but i bought it for a ITX workstation I'm putting together. I just wanted a somewhat efficient cpu that could keep up with some heavy tasks. I know efficiency contradicts my original question about overclocking but that was mostly because I wanted to know how future proof it would be. Because my main system is pretty old but because of an overclock it's still holding up pretty well.

Just now, TimTam :P said:

sorry, i thought it was implied :/ but i bought it for a ITX workstation I'm putting together. I just wanted a somewhat efficient cpu that could keep up with some heavy tasks. I know efficiency contradicts my original question about overclocking but that was mostly because I wanted to know how future proof it would be. Because my main system is pretty old but because of an overclock it's still holding up pretty well.

id return it if you can. 

All the chips are the same efficiency, the l chips are just forced to a lower clock speed. You can do the same thing on any chip. Instead of overclock a low power chip, just get a normal one.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id return it if you can. 

All the chips are the same efficiency, the l chips are just forced to a lower clock speed. You can do the same thing on any chip. Instead of overclock a low power chip, just get a normal one.

oh i didn't know that. I found out that it had a 45 TDP and i was sold. Thanks for the info. I'll try returning it and going for something more powerful like a 1286. Since that seems to be better value for money.

4 minutes ago, TimTam :P said:

oh i didn't know that. I found out that it had a 45 TDP and i was sold. Thanks for the info. I'll try returning it and going for something more powerful like a 1286. Since that seems to be better value for money.

the best value is the 1230.

Why do you need a xeon, just get a i7 if its the same price. The highend e3's are horrible value

Xeons are a safer option for me since I absolutely can't have the system fail on me because it's going to be powered on most of the time and be containing important business data.