What is better: to turn off the PC when you're not using or leave it on?

Over

I've just set mine to automatically turn on 15 minutes before I use it so I can turn it off at night and not have to wait for it to boot later. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Turn it off. 80plus certification has no requirements for low loads like sleeping.

Turn it off. 80plus certification has no requirements for low loads like sleeping.

Yea ok, it's not going to consume 500W while asleep, and no one, at least here, are using 30$ PSU that comes with a free case.

Mine turns itself back on right away after I put it to sleep - I have no idea what is causing it. So I just leave it running 24/7.  :unsure:

I usually turn my PC's off at night just because (mostly so my cat doesn't turn it on). Although I do enjoy the low power sleep efficiency of Haswell. Either way it doesn't really matter to me since booting my OS with an SSD is pretty fast with Windows 8.1. Sleep instantly resumes. IMO, especially nowadays with very power efficient components, you could leave your PC on 24/7 for years and still be OK. Hell we have an old legacy windows NT box at work that still runs till this day! And its pretty much been on 24/7 since the 90s! :lol:

Besides, even if I could wear out my hardware, I upgrade and or do a complete rebuild every 3-4 years. So I am not too concerned with such things.    

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

Mine turns itself back on right away after I put it to sleep - I have no idea what is causing it. So I just leave it running 24/7.  :unsure:

Windows 7+ have a sleep diagnostic system built-in.

Simply open the command prompt as Admin, and type:

cd c:\, then hit Enter

Then type:

powercfg -energy, then hit Enter.

A report .html file will be generated in your C:\ folder. Open it in your favorite web browser, and you'll have a full diagnostics.

Usually the culprits are:

-> Mouse is set to wake up the computer.

-> Ethernet Wake on LAN and Wake on Magic Packet is turned on

Disabling the above usually solve the problem. You can find those options in the Device Manager.

how little power does it ACTUALLY use when on sleep?

oh btw, like @GoodBytes said, check for "wake on pattern match". I had the same issue with incoming signals via ethernet that would wake it up too.

Since 2008, I've had my computers on 24/7 maybe 300 days of the year. The rest of the time I'm traveling or otherwise away for more than a day.

I've still not worn down a single component, even still using the 600W power supply from 2008 in my new computer.

Actually, my 9800GTX+ did wear out, but that was thanks to the early early developer/ friends of devs only alpha of Rift (the game) when it was horribly unoptimized and caused cards to overheat, and my card was overclocked pretty hard.

I firmly believe keeping a system on is beneficial to its life span.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

When im going to work i turn it off. When im at home i leave it up. Im downloading stuff anyways most of the time which reminds me i need a new 2TB drive...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

When im going to work i turn it off. When im at home i leave it up. Im downloading stuff anyways most of the time which reminds me i need a new 2TB drive...

3TB drives are better GB/$ right now, better in the long run  :o

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Since 2008, I've had my computers on 24/7 maybe 300 days of the year. The rest of the time I'm traveling or otherwise away for more than a day.

I've still not worn down a single component, even still using the 600W power supply from 2008 in my new computer.

Actually, my 9800GTX+ did wear out, but that was thanks to the early early developer/ friends of devs only alpha of Rift (the game) when it was horribly unoptimized and caused cards to overheat, and my card was overclocked pretty hard.

I firmly believe keeping a system on is beneficial to its life span.

Of course it's fine. The old days of super sensitive components are gone.. plus we only buy premium high quality products, complete with super long warranties.

Putting the computer to sleep saves power. That's the only real benefits. It's a 'Save power, but instantly ready when I need the system' solution.

When ever I leave to go do something on campus such as class, I just lock it and leave it since it has a 30 minute to sleep timer. But if I'm going to bed I always put it to sleep.

Field agent from the Ministry of Stop It. Now stop it!

Either Fold or Bitcoin Mine when not in use

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M