Has anyone else become a slave to their computer...?

GuruMeditationError

Okay, so...I actually managed to get a little sleep. Having cloned my Windows drive but without cloning the boot sector and it subsequently disappearing from the list of cloneable partitions, I recloned the drive, on the off-chance that the boot partition had been somehow subsumed into the main windows partition of the installation I'm trying to clone (it's not showing up on my motherboard's boot list at all, so I thought that might be worth a shot) but no luck...I tried to repair the windows installation and found that Windows isn't letting the Windows boot media do anything to the drive while there are healthy partitions on it so no luck there either.

Next step was to DBAN the HDD I'd cloned to to install windows to it in the hope that I might be able generate a new boot partition that I can somehow copy to the disc with my boot-partitionless Windows...it's a long shot but, it might save my windows installation.

The irony is I'd been trying so many different BIOS configs to try and get my motherboard to read one of my Windows installation discs, in an effort to use the formatting tools built into the installation process to wipe the disc (I got there once with Windows 7 but it didn't detect the disc as a potential Windows location (however it did let me search the disc it wasn't detecting for a driver that would allow the Windows installation to detect it)) that I inadvertently booted back into the Windows installation I've been trying to clone...which I'd wrongly thought had been destroyed by my efforts to wipe the disc...

...it was cloning it without ticking the box to clone the boot partition that finally screwed me, as now, if I can't figure out a way of getting a working boot manager onto that disc, I'm just going to need to perform a fresh re-install of Windows anyway, so it might as well have just been destroyed in my efforts to wipe the drive.

But yes! While the HDD was being DBAN'd I shoved all of the detritus of this process that's strewn accross my bed to one side (having just about lost all regard for it's or my well-being), laid down and actually managed to get some sleep.

I think at this point the next step (here we go again (like I think I'm actually going to be able to do this without there being another set of catastrophic failures awaiting me)) is to just try and copy my Chrome bookmarks (if that's possible) and just make a fresh windows re-installation.

But it has occurred to me that if EaseUS Todo Backup warns that everything on a disc will be destroyed if you use it to move another discs contents to it then...doesn't that mean it erases the partitions on that disc? 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

4 hours ago, Kamina said:

No, but I use my PC as crutch to fill up any dissatisfaction I may have with my life rather than facing them head on in the real world.

I know...I've not meditated for what must be a month trying to get all of the stuff here that needs doing done. I'm just in such a flat mood right now it's stupid...it's like this whole process has just conditioned me into some kind of soulless port-switching machine.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I mean... kinda?

Like, I work and all, but I'm pretty much devoid of any social life. I meet my friends at work but rarely "go out" with them, we talk on IM a lot though. All my free time is pretty much spent on a computer when I don't have some other responsibility to do. I'm either browsing the web, reading a book or gaming, these days it's mainly reading and browsing though.
There's also times where I essentially just repeat the same actions over and over again for no real purpose other than passing the time and hoping to see if something new is out because I'm bored and got nothing better to do. (like closing a website, reopening it... closing it.. and opening it again...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

better question is are any slave to this forum

Details separate people.

52 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

t the same actions over and over again for no real purpose other than passing the time and hoping to see if something new is out because I'm bored and got nothing better to do. (like closing a website, reopening it... closing it.. and opening it again...)

I know what you mean...the only break I've had from this process has been to try and track down amiibo and get pre-orders placed for the new releases and re-stocks.

I'd say I was miserable at this point but I think misery has a kind of poignancy to it...I'm just feeling nothing...I just want to be completely left alone until I've got this done...it's actually turning me into a monster.

I've got a little time to spare to be human at this point because I'm DBAN'ing a drive to get the Windows partitions off of it...it feels nice not to be locked into this really self-destructive process.

On my free days, yes, I am a slave for sure

Have been since I joined the PC world, but I don't regret it!

52 minutes ago, Emilyraexo said:

On my free days, yes, I am a slave for sure

Have been since I joined the PC world, but I don't regret it!

I think that's probably part of my problem: too many free days.

Oh thank god I'm free...the long nightmare of the PC-glitch-log-jam is finally over...I can sleep again. lol

16 hours ago, Technicolors said:

no

Do you even break a sweat anymore?

1 hour ago, yathis said:

Do you even break a sweat anymore?

yes

2 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Oh thank god I'm free...the long nightmare of the PC-glitch-log-jam is finally over...I can sleep again. lol

nice. what's your secret solution? 

13 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

yes

nice. what's your secret solution? 

I was wrong...I'm right back in it...

5929ff9447f3b_Storageexecutive.png.d1235607e730a604d7a8956b332bb9ac.png

I'm going to deal with this in the morning...

On 5/27/2017 at 11:53 AM, GuruMeditationError said:

I think that's probably part of my problem: too many free days.

I've had that happen, and it can be hard to break the cycle. Just try to fill your days with plans with friends or family, or even go adventure out by yourself. :) 

1 hour ago, Emilyraexo said:

I've had that happen, and it can be hard to break the cycle. Just try to fill your days with plans with friends or family, or even go adventure out by yourself. :) 

I need to...I was supposed to go out to a meetup today but I kind of lost track of the days and thought it was Saturday...it's the third week in a row I've missed that meetup because I've been trying to get back on top of all of this stuff...but I'm pretty much there now, and back to hunting amiibo. :/ 

But yeah...I was in a situation where if I couldn't get it all working it would have been a ton of time and money wasted, but I'm glad to say it did pay off, and is the last time I should ever have to get this badly overstretched with this stuff. Also, I'm going to make sure it doesn't happen again; It was rough going there for a while. 

Nope, there is nothing wrong with me...

wrong with me...

wrong with me...

wrong with me...

wrong with me...

wrong with me...

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

No, my computers are my slaves. If there ever was a time where I had to wait on my computer for a response, that means something must be fixed. The computer should always be waiting on me, never the other way around.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

my laptop and phone are my second and third wife

sam is my first...

she's better as she turns more relevant results when ever i ask her a question...

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I work and live with my girlfriend.. I'm also stubborn AF and can spend hours troubleshooting something.