Has anyone else become a slave to their computer...?

GuruMeditationError

I can't remember the last time I slept properly...I can barely think...I've become a wretched thing completely devoid of warmth or humour. I have barely anything left in me other than the will to keep throwing myself against my P.C. problems time and time again to try and eventually brute-force a solution...

...I seem to have forgotten why I'm doing this...it's no longer about getting it done or what it'll mean to have got it done, and all about not letting it beat me...trying to get the thing I've imagined built has become my white whale.

Is it just me? 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

nope, not me. ive got self control and real world responsibilities.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

nope, not me. ive got self control and real world responsibilities.

I've got all the time in the world, barely any money and effectively no social responsibility whatsoever.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

3 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I've got all the time in the world, barely any money and effectively no social responsibility whatsoever.

yea having a job and a family to take care of really puts a damper on my gaming time :'(

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Help, I cant escape! No, no, no...

Everything is fine, this is not an Automated response, but a real human typing. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Tsuki said:

yea having a job and a family to take care of really puts a damper on my gaming time :'(

I never seem to do anything but collect the stuff...and lately I've just been working around the clock on my P.C. I'm actually getting further from my goal the harder I work...it was fun at first and a challenge but I just don't seem to be getting any closer to completing it...if anything the harder I work the further I get from the goal.

I want to just stop and play some games but...I can't help thinking that that's just adding to the time it's going to take to get it all finished.

3 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Help, I cant escape! No, no, no...

Everything is fine, this is not an Automated response, but a real human typing. 

"Everything is fine, this is not an Automated response, but a real human typing...and it's definitely not rn8686's computer..."

I'm not a slave to my computer - I have requirements that I need to fulfill, and my PC will be there the next day(most likely). While my PC is important to me, I do have a job I need to go to and bills to pay. 

Though I'm curious how being a slave to a computer will make you lose humor. Warmth I can understand, but humor? You still have to think SOME things are funny, yeah?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Don't worry one day you'll think 'Geez I should do something with my life'

then you get a job and a house..

after that you go 'I sure am bored at my job.'

then comes in the thoughts of suicide and the medical bills that go with it.

YAY 'being a responsible adult'

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Pro

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm not a slave to my computer - I have requirements that I need to fulfill, and my PC will be there the next day(most likely). While my PC is important to me, I do have a job I need to go to and bills to pay. 

Though I'm curious how being a slave to a computer will make you lose humor. Warmth I can understand, but humor? You still have to think SOME things are funny, yeah?

I guess to put it into forum specific terms: it's almost like being warm and funny and friendly requires overhead that I just don't have available, because I've not slept properly in probably three weeks and I can barely think properly at the moment...it's become a robotic process of switching and re-plugging hardware in an attempt to overcome the multitude of little wrinkles and obstacles that just seem to cascade off of this stuff. e.g. for a few hours my p.c. had trouble booting if it had more than one disk plugged into it...then for a while it stopped reading Windows media at a point where I was trying to use the formatting tool in the Windows installer...it's just been an ongoing catalogue of problems that just seem to be taking me in circles...I still can't see an end to it.

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

I guess to put it into forum specific terms: it's almost like being warm and funny and friendly requires overhead that I just don't have available, because I've not slept properly in probably three weeks and I can barely think properly at the moment...it's become a robotic process of switching and re-plugging hardware in an attempt to overcome the multitude of little wrinkles and obstacles that just seem to cascade off of this stuff. e.g. for a few hours my p.c. had trouble booting if it had more than one disk plugged into it...then for a while it stopped reading Windows media at a point where I was trying to use the formatting tool in the Windows installer...it's just been an ongoing catalogue of problems that just seem to be taking me in circles...I still can't see an end to it.

Then force yourself to stay away from the computer if it's interfering with your life.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

4 minutes ago, Satisfoxy said:

Don't worry one day you'll think 'Geez I should do something with my life'

then you get a job and a house..

after that you go 'I sure am bored at my job.'

then comes in the thoughts of suicide and the medical bills that go with it.

YAY 'being a responsible adult'

I tried that...I couldn't get anywhere...you wouldn't believe how hard I worked trying to get anywhere other than where I am now...in the end I just made peace with it...it's not so bad...just a bit lonely at times.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You're building Skynet, aren't you? I f#cking knew it'd be GG23! 

On topic: I have a wife... and animals to take care of, one of whom may or may not be a Tamagotchi... Have to balance everyone's happiness, hydration, and hunger levels, so no, I'm not a slave to my PC. I'm just seeing IRL like some kind of survival RPG without magic, swords, and monsters unless my wife dogs count.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Then force yourself to stay away from the computer if it's interfering with your life.

Dude this *is* my life lol  It's just a bit broken at the moment...if my hardware failed I'd be lost. I'd have nothing but my meditation stool and a yoga mat (and...yes...a spare room full of retro console games, but...you get the idea).

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You're building Skynet, aren't you? I f#cking knew it'd be GG23! 

On topic: I have a wife... and animals to take care of, one of whom may or may not be a Tamagotchi... Have to balance everyone's happiness, hydration, and hunger levels, so no, I'm not a slave to my PC. I'm just seeing IRL like some kind of survival RPG without magic, swords, and monsters unless my wife dogs count.

I don't really have any of that...I think if I didn't have this equipment to keep worrying I'd probably be sitting in my room picking at my skin. 

9 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Dude this *is* my life lol  It's just a bit broken at the moment...if my hardware failed I'd be lost. I'd have nothing but my meditation stool and a yoga mat (and...yes...a spare room full of retro console games, but...you get the idea).

It's interfering with normal bodily functions, like sleep, so it's a bit of a problem.

it does feel like i am a slave to my PC this past year.. i stay up very late and wake up late. now it's very difficult to return to a "normal" curfew.. i need some responsibilities 

11 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

it does feel like i am a slave to my PC this past year.. i stay up very late and wake up late. now it's very difficult to return to a "normal" curfew.. i need some responsibilities 

Take out the trash, walk your dog (even if you make one out of paper), cook breakfast for everyone, and ... volunteer.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

53 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's interfering with normal bodily functions, like sleep, so it's a bit of a problem.

I know, but I can't stop or it'll never get done. It's taking so long.

Another example...I just cloned windows onto another drive and pulled my M.2 SSD to find I'd neglected to clone the boot partition...I've now re-installed the M.2 and got back into windows only to find that the boot partition is no longer available to clone...

...so...what do I do now?

50 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

My P.C. kind of is my responsibilities at this point.

38 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Take out the trash, walk your dog (even if you make one out of paper), cook breakfast for everyone, and ... volunteer.

I'm kind of really nihilistic and I suffer from a pretty severe form of depression, so I just find it really difficult to deal with people.

3 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I can't remember the last time I slept properly...I can barely think...I've become a wretched thing completely devoid of warmth or humour. I have barely anything left in me other than the will to keep throwing myself against my P.C. problems time and time again to try and eventually brute-force a solution...

...I seem to have forgotten why I'm doing this...it's no longer about getting it done or what it'll mean to have got it done, and all about not letting it beat me...trying to get the thing I've imagined built has become my white whale.

Is it just me? 

Yes the great majority of society in the 1st world is addicted to their computer/tablet/phone. Addiction is pretty common and it dont matter if its gaming, cocaine, booze, sex, gabmling, work, the gym. Its all the same.

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

i haven't walked my dog in a long time, so thanks for reminding me :P 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i haven't walked my dog in a long time, so thanks for reminding me :P 

Have you walked at all?

I mean besides to your car, from your car, to the liquor store.

I'm loving the sass from @yathis.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

No, but I use my PC as crutch to fill up any dissatisfaction I may have with my life rather than facing them head on in the real world.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 hour ago, yathis said:

Have you walked at all?

I mean besides to your car, from your car, to the liquor store.

no