GPU Compute crashes PC

H0R53

One of the PCs I'm testing has a GTX 580 in it, with both PSU connectors connected. When I run the GPU compute benchmark the PC shuts off.

Specs:

Dell 5000x motherboard

2x Intel Xeon X5355

16GB DDR2 (ECC)

750W PSU

3 250GB SATA3 HDDs

Nothing is getting too hot. I had Core Temp, Real Temp, and MSI Afterburner open all at the same time. I think CUDA is messing with the PSU... Should I try with a less power hungry GPU?

thats 240w tdp, just for the cpu's add another hundred for lighting,motherboard, ram, storage etc, and you have 340 watts. adda card that draws 360 watts under load, and you get 600w. if that psu is old and or from a non reputable brand, this could cuase severe distortion in power distribution

34 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

One of the PCs I'm testing has a GTX 580 in it, with both PSU connectors connected. When I run the GPU compute benchmark the PC shuts off.

Specs:

Dell 5000x motherboard

2x Intel Xeon X5355

16GB DDR2 (ECC)

750W PSU

3 250GB SATA3 HDDs

Nothing is getting too hot. I had Core Temp, Real Temp, and MSI Afterburner open all at the same time. I think CUDA is messing with the PSU... Should I try with a less power hungry GPU?

You most probably owe yourself a google search. 

500 gen Nvidia cards and Cuda have some serious diverse problems when loaded with CUDA. It's not new. 

Now let's get technical: 

Give Brand and model of your PSU (estimated age of the unit), and clockspeeds/temp readings of your GPU. 

43 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

thats 240w tdp, just for the cpu's add another hundred for lighting,motherboard, ram, storage etc, and you have 340 watts. adda card that draws 360 watts under load, and you get 600w. if that psu is old and or from a non reputable brand, this could cuase severe distortion in power distribution

21 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

these problems are almost always psu related

10 minutes ago, faziten said:

You most probably owe yourself a google search. 

500 gen Nvidia cards and Cuda have some serious diverse problems when loaded with CUDA. It's not new. 

Now let's get technical: 

Give Brand and model of your PSU (estimated age of the unit), and clockspeeds/temp readings of your GPU. 

The PSU is the OEM Dell HIPRO PSU that came with the machine. It's fairly old, but up until recently it's never had a huge load like the one I'm putting on it. Estimated age is 10 years, with 4 years off time in cold, dry storage.

It ran a dual core Xeon (single CPU) for about 5 years with 2GB of ECC RAM and a single HDD. I cleaned the PSU yesterday afternoon with an air duster.

Clockspeeds:

Core: 800MHz

Memory: 2005

3D load temp (1920x1080): 48C

I put a GTX 550ti reference card (one that Linus did a video on ages ago) and the benchmark completed without any problems.

I'm planning to get the 1KW unit and a new motherboard, but the 580 is perfect for this machine and I can't spend a ton of money right now. The replacement PSU is $100 and the replacement motherboard is $50.

7 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

--

The 550 ti has a much lower TDP I believe.

Why not get a cheap used 750ti (around 30-40 bucks) instead? It only needs 75W and is almost as good as the 480. If you have more money to spend, get a 1050 or 1050ti. That's what I do with older machines where you can't really trust the psu.

Edit: Actually an RX460 is better performing than the gtx 480. You should get that as it only needs 75W as well.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

The PSU is the OEM Dell HIPRO PSU that came with the machine. It's fairly old, but up until recently it's never had a huge load like the one I'm putting on it. Estimated age is 10 years, with 4 years off time in cold, dry storage.

It ran a dual core Xeon (single CPU) for about 5 years with 2GB of ECC RAM and a single HDD. I cleaned the PSU yesterday afternoon with an air duster.

Clockspeeds:

Core: 800MHz

Memory: 2005

3D load temp (1920x1080): 48C

This is oddly bizarre. 

580's were and will always be room heaters. A new out of the box 580 would hit 90ºC with ease. Unless you tell me it's water cooled i can't believe this readings are correct. 

And also 10 years old PSU is asking for a change. My suggestion would be a single rail PSU to eliminate the OC protection triggered by one of those baddies. 

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

The 550 ti has a much lower TDP I believe.

Why not get a cheap used 750ti (around 30-40 bucks) instead? It only needs 75W and is almost as good as the 480. If you have more money to spend, get a 1050 or 1050ti. That's what I do with older machines where you can't really trust the psu.

Edit: Actually an RX460 is better performing than the gtx 480. You should get that as it only needs 75W as well.

I really don't know how much I'll be able to spend. I have 5 PCs right now that need parts (6 if I count a friend's) and I'm spread a bit thin.

If power consumption is the 580's problem, I can use something else. This PC will probably be used for games like Elder Scrolls Online, so it's not a huge issue.

Will disabling CUDA affect framerate in games? I was unaware of the 5xx series problems so maybe disabling it will prevent another shutdown.

Unfortunately I have no experience with that CUDA option, but I think in the long run you might have to change the psu. I had my last 650W unit fail on my just like this and it came to a point were even low powered stuff wouldn't run properly anymore.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, faziten said:

This is oddly bizarre. 

580's were and will always be room heaters. A new out of the box 580 would hit 90ºC with ease. Unless you tell me it's water cooled i can't believe this readings are correct. 

And also 10 years old PSU is asking for a change. My suggestion would be a single rail PSU to eliminate the OC protection triggered by one of those baddies. 

It was brand new out of the sealed box about a month ago, and it's the 1.5GB Gigabyte Tricool variant with three fans. Even in the crowded case that's my main PC it never went above 60C.

I will also mention that the GPU is almost as long as the case itself is, and there are three 120mm fans right in front of it blowing air conditioned air at it. There's like 2 and a half inches left in the case for the GPU, any longer and it's be a squeeze/

Just now, Nicnac said:

Unfortunately I have no experience with that CUDA option, but I think in the long run you might have to change the psu. I had my last 650W unit fail on my just like this and it came to a point were even low powered stuff wouldn't run properly anymore.

I'm probably going to buy the 1KW variant anyway, and the new motherboard like I said. The SCSI controller on the motherboard is dead, so that needs to be replaced anyway so I'll grab a new PSU while I'm at it.

It is some power/hardware issue 100%, no pc shuts down from software bag (drivers, os etc). I would suggest you to try another psu (check power connectors again).

Even gpu might be problem, i have had similar problem with gtx 570, but it turns out it was bad psu cable.

2 minutes ago, chexor said:

It is some power/hardware issue 100%, no pc shuts down from software bag (drivers, os etc). I would suggest you to try another psu (check power connectors again).

Even gpu might be problem, i have had similar problem with gtx 570, but it turns out it was bad psu cable.

I don't have another PSU that can power this dual socket motherboard, that's why I'm still using this one/

The 580 ran fine in my main PC with a 600W Corsair CX600, that was the first thing I checked.

I'll check the cables. I know it's a H/W problem.

11 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

It was brand new out of the sealed box about a month ago, and it's the 1.5GB Gigabyte Tricool variant with three fans. Even in the crowded case that's my main PC it never went above 60C.

I will also mention that the GPU is almost as long as the case itself is, and there are three 120mm fans right in front of it blowing air conditioned air at it. There's like 2 and a half inches left in the case for the GPU, any longer and it's be a squeeze/

Simply not OK. 

580's did ALWAYS run at high temperatures with full 3d load as you say. There is no way you can have a card that defies every known 580 up to this day, make it 8 fans rather than 3 and it wont give you 60C. Not by a long shot. 

The "shutdown" is PSU related. That is out of the question. 

9 hours ago, faziten said:

Simply not OK. 

580's did ALWAYS run at high temperatures with full 3d load as you say. There is no way you can have a card that defies every known 580 up to this day, make it 8 fans rather than 3 and it wont give you 60C. Not by a long shot. 

The "shutdown" is PSU related. That is out of the question. 

This brings me to my next issue with the 580.

I know that Passmark isn't the greatest, but the average score for the 580 is about 5200.

When running the benchmark on my main rig (the one with a good PSU) I only got 3600.

That's awful. The 580 in itself may also be defective in some way. I expected much better performance.

Overclocking didn't boost my scores at all. 

So more than likely my Dell PSU is defect, as well as the 580.