Planning to upgrade

KjM

Hello, first post here and I am just wanting some advice/help on what parts I should get

I currently have an i5-6600k and a rx 480 with 24gb of corsair vengeance lpx 2400 ram but I am interested in getting a new vega card when they launch and a ryzen cpu.

I have a budget of around $1200 and I was questioning if I could reuse the ram with an am4 motherboard.

I use a 1080p 144hz monitor so I wont need anything to fancy for a gpu and I would like an ATX motherboard.

Thank you in advance!

Why do you want to upgrade? You've got a solid setup for 1080p already.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

Yes you can reuse for Ryzen but I suggest you to OC them since Ryzen benefit from higher speed RAM

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, pelark said:

I might be upgrading to a 1440 or even 4k display and I would like a better cpu for streaming. Also why not get a new vega card :)

Just now, KjM said:

I might be upgrading to a 1440 or even 4k display and I would like a better cpu for streaming. Also why not get a new vega card :)

Yeah if you're upping the res that's a good idea. If you want to you'll be golden for streaming with a ryzen CPU 

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

1 minute ago, KjM said:

Vega card? That is a good Idea

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Vega card? That is a good Idea

I was mainly interested in the vega "nova" or the one that was around $600

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Yes you can reuse for Ryzen but I suggest you to OC them since Ryzen benefit from higher speed RAM

while i do agree i just feel that i should point out that RAM overclocking is one of the most anoying and time consuming things i have EVER done. testing to make sure its OK takes AGES! and if you get one error after a few hours you are screwed and have to change more things. i found it worth it in the end though but doing it on Ryzen properly would mean getting a X370 motherboard with an external clock generator so you dont have to use suer shitty timings and stuff.

for 1080p there is no reason to upgrade to Ryzen and Vega, not that that has ever stopped anyone like me though. the lowest end Vega card is probably what you should get or the GTX 1070 seeing as they will fit your preformance target the best. for a CPU only the R7 1700 makes any sense seeing as the 1600 is just a sidegrade and not an upgrade, it allows you to use more powerfull GPUs without bottlenecks but preformance with the same GPU should be basically the same unless the I5 bottlenecks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, pelark said:

the whole 1080P setup shit is just a myth there's still many games where a gtx 1080 still won't get 60 fps at max setting at 1080p

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($304.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Sandisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($83.36 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($683.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1194.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-24 03:32 EDT-0400

I didn't add the HDD because you can use the ones from your current build (same goes for the RAM and the case).

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

while i do agree i just feel that i should point out that RAM overclocking is one of the most anoying and time consuming things i have EVER done. testing to make sure its OK takes AGES! and if you get one error after a few hours you are screwed and have to change more things. i found it worth it in the end though but doing it on Ryzen properly would mean getting a X370 motherboard with an external clock generator so you dont have to use suer shitty timings and stuff.

for 1080p there is no reason to upgrade to Ryzen and Vega, not that that has ever stopped anyone like me though. the lowest end Vega card is probably what you should get or the GTX 1070 seeing as they will fit your preformance target the best. for a CPU only the R7 1700 makes any sense seeing as the 1600 is just a sidegrade and not an upgrade, it allows you to use more powerfull GPUs without bottlenecks but preformance with the same GPU should be basically the same unless the I5 bottlenecks

I will probably end up selling the cpu/gpu anyway when I'm about to upgrade so I feel like it justifies upgrading xD. Also is there a preferred ram speed or best ram for ryzen?

Just now, KjM said:

I will probably end up selling the cpu/gpu anyway when I'm about to upgrade so I feel like it justifies upgrading xD. Also is there a preferred ram speed or best ram for ryzen?

more speed = better basically. you would want to get some Samsung B-dye ICs for the optimal result

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($683.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 

I didn't add the HDD because you can use the ones from your current build (same goes for the RAM and the case).

Looks like a good build just wondering if the gpu would make sense considering the release of vega around the corner. Also what about the cpu cooler? does the ryzen 1700 come with a stock one?

Just now, KjM said:

Looks like a good build just wondering if the gpu would make sense considering the release of vega around the corner. Also what about the cpu cooler? does the ryzen 1700 come with a stock one?

Yes, the Ryzen 7 1700 comes with a stock cooler you can always upgrade in the future if you want to. The GTX 1080ti is a beast when it comes to 1440p/4K gaming and can handle streams without problems.

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

more speed = better basically. you would want to get some Samsung B-dye ICs for the optimal result

Could you recommend some ram or the ram you're using?

On 2017-5-24 at 2:37 PM, Droidbot said:

How? We don't know shit about it yet besides from what biased AMD has shown us. Wait. 

Since the slowest type of it is like GTX 1070, but I don't rely too much. If he changed his mind GTX 1070 and above is perfect

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Since the slowest type of it is like GTX 1070, but I don't rely too much. If he changed his mind GTX 1070 and above is perfect

Don't trust rumours as fact. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

No, I even don't like the name too much. I like the words X, MX, RX, everything with X

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Ehm, so @KjM I suggest you to get Vengeance RGB series or LPX, if you want to go G.Skill the Tridenz is my favorite. Kingston Savage is good but there are complains for the SSD, not sure about the Memory products.

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

6 hours ago, KjM said:

Could you recommend some ram or the ram you're using?

well seeing as i dont use DDR4 in my computer because im on the Z97 platform i cant recoment my RAM, its SK Hynix anyway. I dont know a perticular set of RAM that i would recoment but im pretty sure Corsair uses mainly B-dye in most of their kits

Builds:

Spoiler

On 5/24/2017 at 8:31 AM, Alaradia said:

the whole 1080P setup shit is just a myth there's still many games where a gtx 1080 still won't get 60 fps at max setting at 1080p

Which games ? A GTX 1080 will smash 1080p resolution. You would have to be playing a very unoptimised game to not get 60fps.

9 hours ago, Droidbot said:

There are 3 amd vega cards

One competes with 1070

one competes with 1080

and one competes with 1080 ti

On 5/24/2017 at 0:32 AM, RaptorCandy said:

I'm liking this build but would it make sense to get a 1700x on sale and just use my ail liquid cooler for the CPU? I'm looking into a new case also just cause my one rn is trash. Are there any nvme ssds for the b350? I'd prefer one of those over a 2.5".

thanks in advance