Scare the hell out of me

spadz93

I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment, and I love survival horror games. Outlast series, resident evil 7, etc (I was one of the people quite upset with the cancelling of the Silent Hills project). I'm looking for more titles, preferably more gorgeous-looking ones for added realism. Lay em on me!

Give Alien: Isolation a try if you haven't already! Also another great looking game is Friday the 13th. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: Corsair HX750 | Operating System: Windows 11 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB | IEMS: KZ ZSN Pro X

Just now, Benjji said:

Give Alien: Isolation a try if you haven't already! Also another great looking game is Friday the 13th. 

Alien Isolation felt a little clunky to me, maybe I'll try it again. Also, isn't Friday the 13th just multiplayer and no story?

Realism isn't everything when it comes to scary/horror games.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl with the Stalker Complete mod can have such a nice ambient sounds and lightning and shadow and weather effects that it can feel eerie and monsters or anomalies can actually scare you. Even though it's not "realistic" graphics in 2017, you can be immersed in the game and be scared from time to time.

SOMA is one of the recent games that isn't meant to be horror like Amnesia Dark Descent, you'd play it more for the story and for what it makes you think about in the end, yet it still can have scary moments, depending how immersed you are in it. If you don't play it expecting to be horror and be scared everywhere, it can be actually very enjoyable.

The last Resident Evil can be a bit scary/horror, personally I'm more grossed out and can't get into it as it's too unrealistic and too many cliche's (hillbillies, stupid people, like you see on tv a lot)

I personally don't find Dead Space scary, because it tends to use a lot of jump scares and you get desensitized after a few jump scares and you sort of expect something to attack you (oh, there were 2 minutes since jump scare, should be something popping about now)

Mass effect andromedas facial animations scare the holy hell out of me everytime 

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

Realism isn't everything when it comes to scary/horror games.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl with the Stalker Complete mod can have such a nice ambient sounds and lightning and shadow and weather effects that it can feel eerie and monsters or anomalies can actually scare you. Even though it's not "realistic" graphics in 2017, you can be immersed in the game and be scared from time to time.

SOMA is one of the recent games that isn't meant to be horror like Amnesia Dark Descent, you'd play it more for the story and for what it makes you think about in the end, yet it still can have scary moments, depending how immersed you are in it. If you don't play it expecting to be horror and be scared everywhere, it can be actually very enjoyable.

The last Resident Evil can be a bit scary/horror, personally I'm more grossed out and can't get into it as it's too unrealistic and too many cliche's (hillbillies, stupid people, like you see on tv a lot)

I personally don't find Dead Space scary, because it tends to use a lot of jump scares and you get desensitized after a few jump scares and you sort of expect something to attack you (oh, there were 2 minutes since jump scare, should be something popping about now)

It appears we have different tastes then :/ 

7 hours ago, IrshaadH said:

Mass effect andromedas facial animations scare the holy hell out of me everytime 

xD

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Everyone's saying that, but Idk i just don't find games of PS1/PS2 graphics caliber that scary, at least not anymore

1 minute ago, spadz93 said:

Everyone's saying that, but Idk i just don't find games of PS1/PS2 graphics caliber that scary, at least not anymore

Wut? the game has pretty nice graphics no way I'd call it PS1/2 level, the PC version maxed out is fairly decent.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Wut? the game has pretty nice graphics no way I'd call it PS1/2 level, the PC version maxed out is fairly decent.

Huh, maybe i'm confusing it with another title. I'll take another look at some gameplay

My top recommendation of Horror games is always No man's Sky.  Watch the trailers and the interviews first to get the lore, and then be horrified by the lack of the content advertised.

On a serious note though, if you aren't playing with a headset on, I suggest you do and go back and replay the horror games you've already played.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

14 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

My top recommendation of Horror games is always No man's Sky.  Watch the trailers and the interviews first to get the lore, and then be horrified by the lack of the content advertised.

On a serious note though, if you aren't playing with a headset on, I suggest you do and go back and replay the horror games you've already played.

I'd love to drop on an Oculus, but $500 is a hefty price tag to bear, especially while i'm building a loop and trying to swap graphics cards

2 hours ago, spadz93 said:

I'd love to drop on an Oculus, but $500 is a hefty price tag to bear, especially while i'm building a loop and trying to swap graphics cards

Haha, I never meant a vr headset. I mean headphones. Not sure why I never just said headphones to begin with. 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

34 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

F.E.A.R.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/fear-bundle

3rd game is garbage but at that price you can't go wrong.

i mostly agree! i actually loved the 3rd game, but i actually played the co-op as well.

fantastic series!!

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Resident Evil ZERO Remaster

Resident Evil Remaster

Amnesia the dark descent

The Evil Within

Outlast

Outlast 2

In order, i would start with Resident Evil if you are wanted the least scary.

RE can be scary though.

Amnesia should be tackled in small doses IMO... that's a lot of scare to handle lol.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

5 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

FEAR.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/fear-bundle

3rd game is garbage but at that price you can't go wrong.

I actually played through 1 and 2 recently again, love that series. 3 is more of an action FPS rather than horror, and if I'm not mistaken was quite difficult as well.

4 hours ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Resident Evil ZERO Remaster

Resident Evil Remaster

Amnesia the dark descent

The Evil Within

Outlast

Outlast 2

In order, i would start with Resident Evil if you are wanted the least scary.

RE can be scary though.

Amnesia should be tackled in small doses IMO... that's a lot of scare to handle lol.

Played both outlasts and the evil within, all great games. I'll have to try the RE games again, aside from 7 all the controls felt kinda clunky to me, maybe I just needed to get used to them?

+1 for Amnesia. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man