Ryzen 7 1700 OR Intel i7 7700K?

Go to solution Solved by Doritojoe,
1 minute ago, Nergale said:

I myself have to admit that I went for the Ryzen 1700 when I had the exact same choice. And I didn't regret it, but thats just my personal opinion.

I will be going with the Ryzen 1700, Thanks everyone for the feedback!

So i am going to be building a new PC to replace my old amd FX 6300 build, And i have nailed the processor options down to these 2, The Ryzen 7 1700 and the i7 7700k, They both are about the same price range, Even tho the i7 has less cores in benchmarks i have seen they perform about the same, BUT i am leaning more towards the i7 Because they run at lower temps and i will be doing alot of overclocking, i mostly play games not much content creating (BF1 Overwatch Doom etc) So what do you guys think? (Please don't start any amd is better then intel or intel is better then amd fights) Thank you :D:D 

I would go with the ryzen 7 1700 because it isn't much behind in gaming but it is miles ahead in content creation and since it has the double of cores and threads it will stay relevant for longer.

Just keep in mind you need 3000+mhz ram to make ryzen as good as it can get.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Doritojoe said:

So i am going to be building a new PC to replace my old amd FX 6300 build, And i have nailed the processor options down to these 2, The Ryzen 7 1700 and the i7 7700k, They both are about the same price range, Even tho the i7 has less cores in benchmarks i have seen they perform about the same, BUT i am leaning more towards the i7 Because they run at lower temps and i will be doing alot of overclocking, So what do you guys think? (Please don't start any amd is better then intel or intel is better then amd fights) Thank you :D:D 

totally depends on what you are doing with it. 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

In general, Intel for gaming, AMD for content creation. Atleast in that price range.

2 minutes ago, Nergale said:

In general, Intel for gaming, AMD for content creation. Atleast in that price range.

Ryzen 7 is good for both and I definitely wouldn't segregate them based on brand. Separate them based on cpu. 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

there is no way to respond to this without amd vs intel ;-)

it depends on what you do

if you only game don't do multitasking, or you Need every-single frame as fast as possible, and you are fine with your cpu utilization being high during gaming then get the i7

if you have various programs open at the same time, you game and have a video on the side and other general multitasking and productivity stuff get the r7

Personally, I would just get the R7 1700.

Yes, the i7 has better IPC and higher clock speed which makes it better in games but will that be any real benefit to you? R7 1700 is fast enough for games and a lot better for other tasks.

Unless you want to push 240FPS for 240Hz 1080p monitor I wouldn't really worry about it.

No, i7 is NOT cooler. In fact, it runs quite a bit more hot and consumes quite a bit more power.

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

there is no way to respond to this without amd vs intel ;-)

it depends on what you do

if you only game don't do multitasking and you are fine with your cpu being at 100% during gaming then get the i7

if you have various programs open at the same time, you game and have a video on the side and other general multitasking and productivity stuff get the r7

is this a joke? an i7 at 100% usage in gaming? please dont talk rubbish. battlefield 1 is known for taking the piss out of i5s but my i7 reaches 80% usage max over 2 cores.

By the way now that I saw you want to overclock? then you need a ryzen 7 since the i7 7700k is not meant for overclocking.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, MrJarhead said:

is this a joke? an i7 at 100% usage in gaming? please dont talk rubbish.

in many games the utilization is pretty than high, 

i could have worded it better, one sec

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

i dont know what games youve been looking at because i play games like battlefield 1, battlefield 4, witcher 3 etc and my cpu usage is never high enough to cause concern.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Assassins Creed Unity makes an i7 7700k gets maxed out if you put NPC Amount to Ultra

Personal Desktop":

I myself have to admit that I went for the Ryzen 1700 when I had the exact same choice. And I didn't regret it, but thats just my personal opinion.

1 minute ago, Nergale said:

I will be going with the Ryzen 1700, Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Just now, Nergale said:

i will wait for the updated version on 14nm+ that will show up late this year or in the next year (probably next year), i am hopeful that it might bring better clocks.

12 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Assassins Creed Unity makes an i7 7700k gets maxed out if you put NPC Amount to Ultra

Probably because that game like the most of them was poorly made.