Budget?

Go to solution Solved by johnt,
9 hours ago, WittyNameHere said:

Umm what wattage am i looking for in the receiver? And am I looking for a 2.1 receiver if that is all I am wanting or do I get the 5.1? Same about the speakers.

Nearly all receivers with HDMI are at least 5.1. But to be clear, yes, look for a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver so you have room to grow. Wattage is not important if you are buying a reputable brand like Yamaha or Denon. I have to get pretty technical to explain this. In short, power ratings are a major point of advertisement that has no true bearing on the performance or quality of the amplifier. When buying used, make sure you ask to test it before you purchase it. Make sure the remote is included and is in a fully functioning order.

In terms of speakers, look for reviews and specifications of the speakers you are buying. Look for a spec called "sensitivity," and make sure it is 88 dB or higher. Try to buy the largest speaker you can afford and that can fit in your entertainment space. Mid-tones are very much lacking in most modern speakers because of how small they are trying to make them. Make sure the "woofer" is at least 6 inches (or so) in diameter. Stay away from 3 to 4 inch woofers for a bedroom/living room. They are okay for desktop listening, but they do not provide the same tactile impact as a larger woofer.

Hello. I am rather new to this so let me explain. I have had zero luck with most of my sound equipment. I have a 2.1 cheap sound bar and sub that randomly stops audio for 3 to 5 seconds and I have a small Sonos system that I can not have TV audio for it yet. My question is do I spend the 600 to 700 us dollars to get the sound bar to complete the Sonos system for a TV use or is there better options for a 2.1 system at that price range. I have looked at reviews over and over however they will use terminology I cannot grasp. Like lacking musical bass. But anyway I have seen a lot of advertisment on this and that but all I want is bass that doesn't sound like my sub is going to implode uninterrupted audio and just a small clarity in the speakers and when you read the pros and cons most every system has a con. I just don't know what to do anymore.

What do you have right now in terms of sonos

My life

8 hours ago, WittyNameHere said:

Hello. I am rather new to this so let me explain. I have had zero luck with most of my sound equipment. I have a 2.1 cheap sound bar and sub that randomly stops audio for 3 to 5 seconds and I have a small Sonos system that I can not have TV audio for it yet. My question is do I spend the 600 to 700 us dollars to get the sound bar to complete the Sonos system for a TV use or is there better options for a 2.1 system at that price range. I have looked at reviews over and over however they will use terminology I cannot grasp. Like lacking musical bass. But anyway I have seen a lot of advertisment on this and that but all I want is bass that doesn't sound like my sub is going to implode uninterrupted audio and just a small clarity in the speakers and when you read the pros and cons most every system has a con. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Okay. First of all. If you are looking for a good quality subwoofer, stop falling for the advertisements. Sound bars are pure and complete rubbish. The appeal is an easy acceptance by most women because they don't take up much more space around the house. Is the sound better than televisison speakers? I don't know. That's debatable. I cannot stand the harshness and tinny sound of sound bars. They also distort at any reasonable volume levels.

Second, if you want a subwoofer that won't distort and that won't chuff, then plan to spend around $1,000 on the subwoofer alone. Look into companies like Power Sound Audio, JTR, Hsu, Rythmic, or SVS.

Third, you have a healthy budget for used audio equipment. You're spending too much time thinking about silly companies like Sonos. I recommend you get started with a basic set up that will likely blow away any sound bar. Get a used receiver that has HDMI from Yamaha or Denon. Also get two used speakers. Start with that. Then add one or two subwoofers.

You're welcome to PM me if you want help choosing used speakers. Online reviews are always helpful. Budget $500 on the speakers and $200 on the receiver. Forget the sub for now. Good speakers produce enough bass to keep you happy at first. 

Umm what wattage am i looking for in the receiver? And am I looking for a 2.1 receiver if that is all I am wanting or do I get the 5.1? Same about the speakers.

9 hours ago, WittyNameHere said:

Nearly all receivers with HDMI are at least 5.1. But to be clear, yes, look for a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver so you have room to grow. Wattage is not important if you are buying a reputable brand like Yamaha or Denon. I have to get pretty technical to explain this. In short, power ratings are a major point of advertisement that has no true bearing on the performance or quality of the amplifier. When buying used, make sure you ask to test it before you purchase it. Make sure the remote is included and is in a fully functioning order.

In terms of speakers, look for reviews and specifications of the speakers you are buying. Look for a spec called "sensitivity," and make sure it is 88 dB or higher. Try to buy the largest speaker you can afford and that can fit in your entertainment space. Mid-tones are very much lacking in most modern speakers because of how small they are trying to make them. Make sure the "woofer" is at least 6 inches (or so) in diameter. Stay away from 3 to 4 inch woofers for a bedroom/living room. They are okay for desktop listening, but they do not provide the same tactile impact as a larger woofer.