Reduce hiss and noise from AT2020?

TechSquidTV

Equipment:

Behringer Xenyx Q502USB

Audio Technica AT2020 XLR version

The gain on the mixer is at the absolute minimum, and the volume is still fairly high. There is a QUITE NOTICEABLE dead noise static and hiss. I am able to correct for it fairly well in post but I'd love to start with a cleaner sound.

Moving the mi closer definitely seems to help a little but I think it's more of the voice overpowering it, and when I record videos I cant be breathing into my mic, I'll need a small distance of maybe a foot or two.

5 minutes ago, Ampix0 said:

Equipment:

Behringer Xenyx Q502USB

Audio Technica AT2020 XLR version

The gain on the mixer is at the absolute minimum, and the volume is still fairly high. There is a QUITE NOTICEABLE dead noise static and hiss. I am able to correct for it fairly well in post but I'd love to start with a cleaner sound.

Moving the mi closer definitely seems to help a little but I think it's more of the voice overpowering it, and when I record videos I cant be breathing into my mic, I'll need a small distance of maybe a foot or two.

Xenyx 502 is not a noise-free mixer, so this is kind 'a anticipated.

What's your actual audio source? Did you try to use any other balanced source\amp?

52 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Xenyx 502 is not a noise-free mixer, so this is kind 'a anticipated.

What's your actual audio source? Did you try to use any other balanced source\amp?

Sorry, very new to this area. Actual audio source? Meaning the AT2020? And no, I was going to buy a $60 audio interface off Amazon but I saw this for a little more and thought maybe I could benefit the recording by having the dial controls over the LOW/MID/HIGH. Of course they didn't quite work as expected, I do almost all editing in post.

Its important to isolate where the "noise" is coming from. You're plugging the mixer into your PC? Do you have a laptop or field recorder you could plug it into (not plugged into the wall) and test to see if that gets rid of it?

Noise could be the mixer, could be the PC or recording destination (most likely is). So step 1 is figure out where the problem's source is :)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

3 hours ago, Ampix0 said:

The gain on the mixer is at the absolute minimum, and the volume is still fairly high

Well that's exactly how not to use a mic pre-amp. You want it to be set so that when you're doing whatever it is you want to record (speaking, singing, shouting...) the level is just slightly below the clipping point.

After moving the mic as close as is reasonably possible and pointing it away from any obvious noise sources, start by turning the channel and output down and speak from your normal position. Turn the pre-amp gain up until you see the 'clip' light flashing angrily at you, then turn it down just past the point where it doesn't light up. Since you're only using the mixer for a single mic put the channel volume to 0dB (somewhere around the 12 o clock position on that model). Then use the master volume to control the level of the mic sent to the computer.

This will minimise any noise other than what you're making or is ambient in the room (fan noise, keyboard etc...).

10 hours ago, Ampix0 said:

Sorry, very new to this area. Actual audio source? Meaning the AT2020? And no, I was going to buy a $60 audio interface off Amazon but I saw this for a little more and thought maybe I could benefit the recording by having the dial controls over the LOW/MID/HIGH. Of course they didn't quite work as expected, I do almost all editing in post.

Okay, I see. The problem is, that this is a mixer, not a proper audio interface. If you're only using this for your mic, then I'd suggest you to return it and get something else, or at least try something else. You may wanna see this video to learn more about audio interfaces in a very simple way.

I say that you need to try one, because sometimes this noise comes directly from usb connection, or it can be a result of bad xlr terminal (on this mixer). One of the best cheap audio terminal brand is "Neutrik". Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to get cheap audio stuff and get a decent sound quality at the same time :)

If you have a local music store, go there and try your mic with every audio interface they can suggest you.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:00 AM, paprikman said:

Okay, I see. The problem is, that this is a mixer, not a proper audio interface. If you're only using this for your mic, then I'd suggest you to return it and get something else, or at least try something else. You may wanna see this video to learn more about audio interfaces in a very simple way.

I say that you need to try one, because sometimes this noise comes directly from usb connection, or it can be a result of bad xlr terminal (on this mixer). One of the best cheap audio terminal brand is "Neutrik". Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to get cheap audio stuff and get a decent sound quality at the same time :)

If you have a local music store, go there and try your mic with every audio interface they can suggest you.

Hey thanks for this. I will be doing a lot of research.

On 19/05/2017 at 5:00 AM, paprikman said:

The mixer acts as an audio interface, just not in a way alllowing individual access to the channels afaik. And given the low price of some of the behringer models they aren't that bad of a choice, even if you only need a single input. The preamps aren't as good as some and you lose some functionality but they're perfectly serviceable. In and of itself, the mixer won't be causing this issue.

Neutrik are anything other than a cheap brand, and make some of the best and most popular connectors for professional use and carry a premium over cheap Chinese brands.

The symptoms OP described suggest this is nothing more than misuse of equipment, rather than any crosstalk on USB cables or other EM interference.

41 minutes ago, anothertom said:

The mixer acts as an audio interface, just not in a way alllowing individual access to the channels afaik. And given the low price of some of the behringer models they aren't that bad of a choice, even if you only need a single input. The preamps aren't as good as some and you lose some functionality but they're perfectly serviceable. In and of itself, the mixer won't be causing this issue.

Neutrik are anything other than a cheap brand, and make some of the best and most popular connectors for professional use and carry a premium over cheap Chinese brands.

The symptoms OP described suggest this is nothing more than misuse of equipment, rather than any crosstalk on USB cables or other EM interference.

Could you provide more guidance on using the system? This is how I set it just based off what I was hearing.

IMG_20170521_145738.jpg

21 minutes ago, Ampix0 said:

Could you provide more guidance on using the system? This is how I set it just based off what I was hearing.

For setting up a mic input see my previous post in this thread. If you want more help then provide details of what you're trying to accomplish and with what inputs and outputs.

9 hours ago, anothertom said:

Yes, you're talking right things. I only suggested him a proper audio interface, because I've been in this situation few month ago - tried to use xenyx402 as a mic input. But it was so dirty and noisy. Got esi u22xt for ~ $100 as a replacement and it's enough for me. At least the monitoring output delay is very low, the sound is ok and there's just enough power. Left and right output channels on the back are confused and there's a huge channel imbalance on the front monitor out tho.